Cowon Plenue P1
Aug 9, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #541 of 2,974
  I like the R10's sound more as it sounds like a desktop setup with better low end and stage IMO.  240 just sounds clean, but bass can be improved.  DAC2 much cleaner, but at the same time very high in resolution, but not inaccurate like the Hugo.  If you hear it you'll know, it just sounds real.  Once you hear the DAC2, you will know what unrealistic sound is.

Thanks man... so, in terms of sound quality, R10 and DAC2 are absolutely at the top. I have guessed that. I got Antelope Audio's Zodiac Plus. This R10's sound quality is just about 15% behind Zodiac Plus. I think R10 certainly has one of the finest sound reproduction among portable players.  
I will get DAC2 asap!!! That is exactly what I've been looking for. 

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:51 PM Post #543 of 2,974
  Thanks man... so, in terms of sound quality, R10 and DAC2 are absolutely at the top. I have guessed that. I got Antelope Audio's Zodiac Plus. This R10's sound quality is just about 15% behind Zodiac Plus. I think R10 certainly has one of the finest sound reproduction among portable players.  
I will get DAC2 asap!!! That is exactly what I've been looking for. 

The 240 is better when the recording is well done.  The R10 sounds good with wider genre of music IMO.  240 is more accurate with the better recordings IMO.  Listening to pop out of 240 is not pleasant.  Great to have when out and about if you lik listening to good masterings.  Very portable, I think I judged too soon based on only a handful of music types. Given it's size, it's very well performing.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #544 of 2,974
  The 240 is better when the recording is well done.  The R10 sounds good with wider genre of music IMO.  240 is more accurate with the better recordings IMO.  Listing to pop out of 240 is not pleasant.  Great to have when out and about if you lik listening to good masterings.  Very portable, I think I judged too soon based on only a handful of music types. Given it's size, it's very well performing.

Cool.. I wonder how this P1 will sound compared to AK240. 
Anyways, I will keep my R10. AK240 is out of my price range. I'd choose another DAC, such as Grace Design m920, over AK240 in that price range. 
Thanks for all reviews.  I'm also considering Calyx M player. A lot of people have said its sound quality is almost same as AK240's. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 7:51 PM Post #549 of 2,974
I'm looking forward to this becoming available here. In the meantime, I asked Cowon about the file-limitation of the P1(I don't think it's been mentioned anywhere), and it was 70 000 files. That's good, at least, since I can't put any more files on my J3, after having reached 13955 files.

Aug 12, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #550 of 2,974
I have played around with the P1 for a couple of days. Here are some first impressions. The build of the unit feels very good. I like the minimalist approach Cowon used. The UI is very good. I like all of the different skins that are available. It gives you another level of involvement in addition to just listening. This is one of four DAP's I have and it will probably be my go to unit. I have the Dx90, Fiio x5 and the DX100. The SQ is better than the dx90 and the X5 and in some ways better than the DX100. The biggest difference I can tell is with hi-rez files. There is more clarity and space with the P1 than the others. The 16/44 flac files sound about the same with all of the players. I have 4 different IEM's ( Grado GR10, Westone 4, B & W C5 and Shure SE-846) and I find that the P1 sounds very good with all of them whereas the others sound better with different ones. As with the DX100 I find that the P1 needs no amping where the other two gain from amping. The price is pretty steep but I think it is worth it.
Bottom line for me is that they all have unique sound signatures and unique feature sets so I will keep all of them and play them as I want but I will probably pick the P1 more often than not.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:09 AM Post #551 of 2,974
It does have as wide a sound stage as the DX100. You are right about the SQ of the DX100 being pretty good already but I prefer the SQ of the P1 right now. I must keep in mind that it is new (the Dx100 was my graduation from Apple and I have had it a while). With the dx90 and x5 I would find myself going back to the dx100 for pure SQ but the other two where easier to use and seemingly more portable. The UI on the dx100 has always been very buggy and scan times for different cards are always an adventure. If I browse by folders on the P1 it reads the card with no problems in 5-10 seconds. Battery life seems to be as advertised although if play around with the display a lot like I have so far it is probably about 6-6.5 hours.
Another thing that I like is the EQ functions on the P1. I don' t use a lot of EQ on any of them but you can make much more subtle changes with the P1 than the others to help with different phones.

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #552 of 2,974
It does have as wide a sound stage as the DX100. You are right about the SQ of the DX100 being pretty good already but I prefer the SQ of the P1 right now. I must keep in mind that it is new (the Dx100 was my graduation from Apple and I have had it a while). With the dx90 and x5 I would find myself going back to the dx100 for pure SQ but the other two where easier to use and seemingly more portable. The UI on the dx100 has always been very buggy and scan times for different cards are always an adventure. If I browse by folders on the P1 it reads the card with no problems in 5-10 seconds. Battery life seems to be as advertised although if play around with the display a lot like I have so far it is probably about 6-6.5 hours.
Another thing that I like is the EQ functions on the P1. I don' t use a lot of EQ on any of them but you can make much more subtle changes with the P1 than the others to help with different phones.

Awesome. I wish you can do some comparison with headphones as well. I prefer cans over IEMS. IEMs can't outperform high end cans such as HD800, LCD3, etc. 

Aug 13, 2014 at 12:34 AM Post #555 of 2,974
I have used the P1 with some over the ear phones. I usually prefer IEM's for lack of sound leakage (my wife prefers not to hear music leaking from my open back phones). I have the Grado RS-2i and Sennheiser HD-598 as well as the B & W P7. It performs well with all of them but sounds especially good with the RS-2i as does the dx100. Both are musical nirvana with the Grado's and while they benefit with amping (I use a tube headphone amp) they don't really need it. The P7's also sound great with the P1 again especially with hi-Rez files.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back