Cowon Plenue P1
Aug 6, 2014 at 9:27 PM Post #526 of 2,974
  Is there any other best sounding DACs you'd like to recommend?
I totally agree with you on DX90 and R10. 
I'm interested in Benchmark DAC2 as well! It's just too expensive for me now.

I just got Zodiac Plus. It sounds very incredible... I'd like to get one more DAC for reference in my studio.

There is that upcoming Schiit Yggrasil to look forward to.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:37 PM Post #528 of 2,974

^ This
For me it was the hugo that was a lesson learned.

If possible, the best way to go is to listen to the DAP / DAC before deciding.

You didn't like Hugo? Interesting... you're the 1st person i've seen who didn't like it. Any impression?

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #529 of 2,974
This one looks great. It's certainly better than stock P1 case which looks like totally 70's. 

Where did you find this one? Can we buy it here in U.S.? 

Also, have you guys found any review regarding P1's sound quality? I wonder if P1 is comparable to AK120 and Calyx M.

it is a Dignis case. i''m not sure- but you can buy their homepage.
there are some reviews that compare the p1 and ak120 mk2 by Korean. i think people prefer the p1 a little more.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:50 PM Post #530 of 2,974

You didn't like Hugo? Interesting... you're the 1st person i've seen who didn't like it. Any impression?

It didn't sound bad, but its sound just didn't engage and pull me into the music. It just had this lack of energy and life to its sound.
I'm really looking forward to the release of the schiit yggy.
tongue.gif

Aug 7, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #532 of 2,974
  DX90 was the worst piece of Sabre garbage I've ever heard. Since I don't use cans, I'd take a clip+ over it any day. HDP R10 sounds much better with a different Sabre, it's not the mobile K2M, it's the ES9018S. R10 is a piece of crap DAP with crap ui, slow as hell, unstable, battery dies quick, but it sounds good, I hate it.
redface.gif
  Calyx M has the mobile version like the DX90, but haven't heard it, but want to try it to find out if the mobile chip can sound good because the 90 left a bad taste in my mouth.  Best Sabre implementation I've heard is my desktop DAC/Amp combo, the Benchmark DAC2, it doesn't have the Sabre treble which people expect from the chip implemenatation, and more accurate than the Hugo and as much resolution or more(it shows off how resolving a ES9018S can get).  Although not a DAP, the ODAC/O2 combo does quite well for the price.

Thank you for you answer. I didn't attack you, I just would like to know your opinion.
Back to the P1 ^^

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #535 of 2,974
  Can anyone give me a link to Diginis P1 leather case shop? I want to buy it now

Hey Kaw, just got the AK240.  Firmware 1.15 is better than the original firmware it came with which was 1.09 improving the treble, but a bit behind Hugo and DAC2.  DAC2 is the best performer of the 3 as it has the most accurate sound.  240 performs well for it's size.

Aug 9, 2014 at 3:53 AM Post #536 of 2,974
  Hey Kaw, just got the AK240.  Firmware 1.15 is better than the original firmware it came with which was 1.09 improving the treble, but a bit behind Hugo and DAC2.  DAC2 is the best performer of the 3 as it has the most accurate sound.  240 performs well for it's size.

Thanks for confirming this! I will definitely get a Benchmark DAC2 HGC this month. 
I have lots of FLAC files so DAC2 is going to be my favorite desktop reference unit. 
How does AK240 sound compare to R10 then? 
A lot of people have said AK240's sound quality is incredible. I just wonder how that really sound... does it have that wide sound stage like R10?

Aug 9, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #537 of 2,974
I like the R10's sound more as it sounds like a desktop setup with better low end and stage IMO.  240 just sounds clean, but bass can be improved.  DAC2 much cleaner, but at the same time very high in resolution, but not inaccurate like the Hugo.  If you hear it you'll know, it just sounds real.  Once you hear the DAC2, you will know what unrealistic sound is.

Aug 9, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #538 of 2,974
  DX90 was the worst piece of Sabre garbage I've ever heard. Since I don't use cans, I'd take a clip+ over it any day. HDP R10 sounds much better with a different Sabre, it's not the mobile K2M, it's the ES9018S. R10 is a piece of crap DAP with crap ui, slow as hell, unstable, battery dies quick, but it sounds good, I hate it.
redface.gif
  Calyx M has the mobile version like the DX90, but haven't heard it, but want to try it to find out if the mobile chip can sound good because the 90 left a bad taste in my mouth.  Best Sabre implementation I've heard is my desktop DAC/Amp combo, the Benchmark DAC2, it doesn't have the Sabre treble which people expect from the chip implemenatation, and more accurate than the Hugo and as much resolution or more(it shows off how resolving a ES9018S can get).  Although not a DAP, the ODAC/O2 combo does quite well for the price.

You say R10 is Crap, but later on you say

I like the R10's sound more as it sounds like a desktop setup with better low end and stage IMO.  240 just sounds clean, but bass can be improved.  DAC2 much cleaner, but at the same time very high in resolution, but not inaccurate like the Hugo.  If you hear it you'll know, it just sounds real.  Once you hear the DAC2, you will know what unrealistic sound is.

I am CONFUSED which DAC do you think is best?

I must admit I am suspicious of all the flashing merry go round lights on HUGO as too gimmicky and unprofessional. At the moment I make do with an original Ak100 and an ALO headphone amp with HD800, but I am still wondering what will be the best combo...maybe Geek Wave? In  truth I prefer my even older Cowan X7.

All the comments on Hi-Fi seem so emotive and confusing that I am unable to sort out what is best. Since i stay in the countryside I am not able to go and listen to all these toys in shops myself not that they would have them here anyway so I rely on reviews to try and decide what to buy.

Aug 9, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #539 of 2,974

You say R10 is Crap, but later on you say

I am CONFUSED which DAC do you think is best?

redface.gif

As I have stated already, DAC2 is what I like best.  As for portables, there isn't something I would use portably over my S4 for various reasons.  I like the sound of the R10 more than 240, but it's too bulky and laggy with bad ui.  240 is not worth the price tag as it's portable sound performance isn't that great IMO.  Hugo does sound good if you are ok with the high price.  You can carry it around, but still it's bulky.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back