Cowon Plenue P1
Aug 5, 2014 at 3:58 AM Post #511 of 2,974
Yes, last time I couldn't imagine paying $1k for a DAP. Let alone $700... at most I would go is $500.
Started with C3 to X3 then AK100 for a good price then around $500 ish then broke my rule with the AK100MK2 at $700+.
Sold all and planned to get a cheapo DAP but i did the unimaginable and got the AK240 which broke way pass the $1k barrier.

That's the life of a headfier.. Once you got bitten by the bug, it sucks you right in a spits out your money..

i agree about the bug . it sucks and we cant help it .

Aug 5, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #512 of 2,974
Still, it's worth it apparently!

Aug 6, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #515 of 2,974

The way I hear them is that implementation can indeed have a material impact to the sound signature using the same chip.  However, the differences between different chips is still bigger than the differences between different implementation of the same (family of) chip.  

The Calyx M and DX90 both uses 9018k2m but they sound quite different, but both still shares some characteristics in terms of how resolution/details are presented, how their bass/treble sounded.  These are quite different than the X5 with the PCM1792 or the original AK100/120/dx50 with the Wolfson 8740.

This is why I'm interested in the P1.  I quite like the X5's smooth/non-fatiguing signature but something seems missing and made it a bit too blend too dull for my taste.  The Hifi MA8 which also uses the 1792, sounded better to me but the aesthetics, built, material used, and UI etc are all rather poor  (FWIW I prefer the MA8 over the "better" MA9 with the 1704 chip which I think its implementation severely lacks resolution).  I believe there is good potential in the PCM1792 and would love to hear the Cowon implementation.

I personally thought DX90 had the worst Sabre implementation I've heard(it had the worst of the Sabre characteristic), and although X5 wasn't perfect either, I preferred it over the DX90 because it had the lowest resolution I've heard, either as low or on par with clip+.  If the M has the characteristic, it's a shame because I was curious how it fares.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #516 of 2,974
I personally thought DX90 had the worst Sabre implementation I've heard(it had the worst of the Sabre characteristic), and although X5 wasn't perfect either, I preferred it over the DX90 because it had the lowest resolution I've heard, either as low or on par with clip+.  If the M has the characteristic, it's a shame because I was curious how it fares.

and what is the best dap with Saber???

Aug 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #519 of 2,974

how about this one?

This one looks great. It's certainly better than stock P1 case which looks like totally 70's. 

Where did you find this one? Can we buy it here in U.S.? 

Also, have you guys found any review regarding P1's sound quality? I wonder if P1 is comparable to AK120 and Calyx M.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #520 of 2,974
and what is the best dap with Saber???

DX90 was the worst piece of Sabre garbage I've ever heard. Since I don't use cans, I'd take a clip+ over it any day. HDP R10 sounds much better with a different Sabre, it's not the mobile K2M, it's the ES9018S. R10 is a piece of crap DAP with crap ui, slow as hell, unstable, battery dies quick, but it sounds good, I hate it.
redface.gif
  Calyx M has the mobile version like the DX90, but haven't heard it, but want to try it to find out if the mobile chip can sound good because the 90 left a bad taste in my mouth.  Best Sabre implementation I've heard is my desktop DAC/Amp combo, the Benchmark DAC2, it doesn't have the Sabre treble which people expect from the chip implemenatation, and more accurate than the Hugo and as much resolution or more(it shows off how resolving a ES9018S can get).  Although not a DAP, the ODAC/O2 combo does quite well for the price.

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #521 of 2,974
DX90 was the worst piece of Sabre garbage I've ever heard. Since I don't use cans, I'd take a clip+ over it any day. HDP R10 sounds much better with a different Sabre, it's not the mobile K2M, it's the ES9018S. R10 is a piece of crap DAP with crap ui, slow as hell, unstable, battery dies quick, but it sounds good, I hate it.:xf_eek:   Calyx M has the mobile version like the DX90, but haven't heard it, but want to try it to find out if the mobile chip can sound good because the 90 left a bad taste in my mouth.  Best Sabre implementation I've heard is my desktop DAC/Amp combo, the Benchmark DAC2, it doesn't have the Sabre treble which people expect from the chip implemenatation, and more accurate than the Hugo and as much resolution or more(it shows off how resolving a ES9018S can get).  Although not a DAP, the ODAC/O2 combo does quite well for the price.

Lol post that in the DX90 thread. You're gonna invoke lots of haters :p

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #523 of 2,974
  That's why I say it here.  
redface.gif
 They will get upset and attack me like last time.

Is there any other best sounding DACs you'd like to recommend?
I totally agree with you on DX90 and R10. 
I'm interested in Benchmark DAC2 as well! It's just too expensive for me now.

I just got Zodiac Plus. It sounds very incredible... I'd like to get one more DAC for reference in my studio.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #524 of 2,974
  Is there any other best sounding DACs you'd like to recommend?
I totally agree with you on DX90 and R10. 
I'm interested in Benchmark DAC2 as well! It's just too expensive for me now.

I just got Zodiac Plus. It sounds very incredible... I'd like to get one more DAC for reference in my studio.

I haven't tried many so I can't suggest any more.  I say listen to ones that peak your interest and go from there.  Don't get hyped up from some of these threads, DX90 was a lesson learned.  Learn about the technology and investigate, that the best way to make educated guesses, but not totally fool proof.

Let's get back to P1, I think we sidetracked it enough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back