Cowon Plenue P1
Apr 28, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #2,686 of 2,974
As per usual I am late to the party. Got an open box P1 from advmp3 last week.

Out of the box I wasn't impressed and it nearly went back. I gave it a couple of days and then it started sounding great.

My first wow moment was completely from left field. I have a pair of Sony Mdr1a that I use when I'm doing jobs round the house. The sonys are an OK £100 can but have never blown me away or seemed to have the potential to scale with better gear. I was listening to Blur whilst ironing some shirts and they sucked me in more than I thought they had the ability to producing tones and textures that I didn't think they were capable of. At this point I knew the P1 was a keeper and was keen to try it with my better gear. Anyway, I agree with the P1 needing burn in (and am not suggesting that you should all go out and buy the Sony!)

I currently have mixed feelings on the jeteffects.
I've heard people mention that when an effect is applied the signal sounds quieter through an external DAC.
When applying an effect and using the internal amp (ie with earphones) I think that the plenue increases the application to adjust for the quieter signal. For my Nobles it over increases it by about 7, giving the impression of a much bigger impact than is actually the case (ie normal at 70 volume = jeteffect at 63 volume).
Still early days so I will see if my opinion changes with time and if I can identify more subtle differences in the effects.

A couple of questions:
I assume there is no replaygain or way of viewing by album artist (rather than track artist)? I'm sure I would have spotted it.
Is it possible to rename the user presets e.g. to the name of the headphone I have tweaked it for?

Apr 28, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #2,687 of 2,974
P1 EQ is the best, use it.

May 29, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #2,691 of 2,974
New features
- Change User Interface(UI)
- Add the function of showing information when change the playing music *
- Add the function of controlling volume touch **
- Fix the symptom which some part of high volume level isn’t controlled in specific JetEffect setting
* When Setting/Display/Song change, if information display is on, information will be displayed for 5 seconds when user changes song during playing music.
** If user touches the volume display at the top, volume pop-up will be displayed and user can control the volume up and down by touching.

Great, we now have the Plenue 2 interface ! Yeah !! (^-^)

170529092706477624.jpg
170529092706554126.jpg

Jun 21, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #2,694 of 2,974
I'm surprised the highly acclaimed Opus#3 is now using the same DAC that is in the Cowon P1. I know it's all about implementation but interesting how Cowon went to AK and chips and Opus's flagship went to BB.
but ot aint got Cowons EQ.

Jun 21, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #2,695 of 2,974
but ot aint got Cowons EQ.

Right!? I have spent a lot of time on the Cowon's settings, EQ and BBE, MP etc. I have to say the BBE lowers the volume and enhances sibilance as does MP. All other features as the EQ cranked up or down, Mach Bass, and 3D Surround have 0% any ill effects, no hiss, no distortion etc. Only BBE (over +6) and MP (On) I find have effects I don't like and leave them off. I hope Cowon can revamp the BBE and MP somehow in a future update. Just my stupid opinion. YMMV. I still love my P1 regardless!! The EQ is to die for and the Mach Bass and all the user EQ savable settings makes it very flexible.

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #2,696 of 2,974
I'm surprised the highly acclaimed Opus#3 is now using the same DAC that is in the Cowon P1. I know it's all about implementation but interesting how Cowon went to AK and chips and Opus's flagship went to BB.

I haven't heard the Opus 3 but did briefly audition the Opus 1 and 2 - clearly The Bit's products are taking aim at Cowon. I wouldn't trade my P1 for the #1 or #2, but the Opus 3 with the BB DAC could make me think about it.

Jun 21, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #2,697 of 2,974
I haven't heard the Opus 3 but did briefly audition the Opus 1 and 2 - clearly The Bit's products are taking aim at Cowon. I wouldn't trade my P1 for the #1 or #2, but the Opus 3 with the BB DAC could make me think about it.

Right? The balanced out and dual SD slot is what is making me think I want my DAP to have and it's what Cowon was/is missing. I can live without it though.

Jun 21, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #2,698 of 2,974
So, i realize i too am probably late to the party, but i am curious what people think...

On my way home from work today, stopped by a pawn shop and found this particular player for $300.. Aside from a scuff or two, it is mint shape, looks to fully work, and is now on the 2.2 firmware. But what i am really curious about - is it right for what i have (compared to my current setup). Right now, my primary cans are a set of Audeze LCD 2.2 (non fazor), followed by Senn 650s and IE80s. Sadly, not planning on finding audio gear, i left my LCD's at work, so i cant test em (hence looking for input), but they sound good with my 650s. My current rig is an LG V20 backed with a Cayin C5, which i have always felt was a good combo.

My concerns are this: Is $300 too much for this player (again, a few scratches, but cosmetic, and a perfect screen), given that new models have come out? And even if its a good value, am i nuts for pairing it with the cans I have (especially since i have no other desktop DAP or anything else).

As it is, it certainly SEEMS like a good player, but i admit this is my first foray into "high end" DAPs, so i am a bit.. well, a newbie. My only other DAP was a X5 gen I, but that one never impressed me at all.....

Jun 22, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #2,699 of 2,974
So, i realize i too am probably late to the party, but i am curious what people think...

On my way home from work today, stopped by a pawn shop and found this particular player for $300.. Aside from a scuff or two, it is mint shape, looks to fully work, and is now on the 2.2 firmware. But what i am really curious about - is it right for what i have (compared to my current setup). Right now, my primary cans are a set of Audeze LCD 2.2 (non fazor), followed by Senn 650s and IE80s. Sadly, not planning on finding audio gear, i left my LCD's at work, so i cant test em (hence looking for input), but they sound good with my 650s. My current rig is an LG V20 backed with a Cayin C5, which i have always felt was a good combo.

My concerns are this: Is $300 too much for this player (again, a few scratches, but cosmetic, and a perfect screen), given that new models have come out? And even if its a good value, am i nuts for pairing it with the cans I have (especially since i have no other desktop DAP or anything else).

As it is, it certainly SEEMS like a good player, but i admit this is my first foray into "high end" DAPs, so i am a bit.. well, a newbie. My only other DAP was a X5 gen I, but that one never impressed me at all.....

If you paid $300 (reading your description) and batterylife is still good, than you had an amazing deal imo :thumbsup:
Don't forget that this was a $1K dap when it was launched. I paid around $700 for mine when it was only a few weeks old and have never regretted it for a second.

I think for full size headphones it's probably the best to use this dap with a good amp (I also used it a lot optical with the Hugo when I had that one) using the P1 line/optical out. I also had the LCD2.2 (also non fazor) for quite some time, but always(!) used an extra amp with that one when I listened from a portable dap. But when I had the LCD, I didn't have the P1 yet, so don't know how they will match for sure. Nowadays I only use the P1 with iems (for my headphones I usually grab for the even more powerful LPG) and I still think it's hard to beat in the sq department using its JetEffect EQ.

Regarding the X5: I also still have a X5 gen 1, but I always have than one stacked up with a Headstage Arrow 5P (most of the time connected to my stereo in the livingroom). The X5 has a pretty good DAC inside, but not such a good amp (lots of hiss). Connecting X5 (line out) to the Arrow gives great sq, also better than Cayin C5 (which I also have, but hardly use these days)

Well, long story short: imo P1 ain't a good player...no sir, it's a fantastic player!!! :)

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:35 AM Post #2,700 of 2,974

You liked P1 over Opus #2?
Afaik the #2 is their flagship. Opus #3 should be inbetween #1 and #2 regarding price and sq.

I picked up a (few weeks old) Opus #1 on eBay (although I knew the seller from HF) myself earlier this week => expect it to arrive soon.
The reason was that I wanted another dap for on the go (take outside). Now I usually take the P1 with me, but batterylife (4-5 hrs max on mine) just ain't that great, Opus #1 should have around 10 hrs.
I don't expect the #1 to sound better than the P1 though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back