Cowon Plenue P1
Feb 21, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #2,656 of 2,974
AudioMan2013: thanks, yes, I'm aware of the limitations of computer USB ports for charging, which is why I've been using a wall outlet power supply at home (with surge protector). A surge protector at the office for a ac wall outlet will require an extension cord to reach the area in which I sit. I am going to consider that, for the benefit of prolonging the battery life. I'll look for a small surge protector I can take to the office on my commute.

I don't have to worry about the authorities above me thinking I'm downloading data from my computer, fortunately, because I can easily keep whatever I plug in from connecting in a way that might result in that - we have such software built in to our computers, as humble as they are.

Yep, I'm lovin' the P1 - I'm hearing details and separation I didn't think was possible from portable equipment. I'm buying more music now.

Cheers,

Jeff

Either that or you can get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Vinsic-20000mAh-External-Portable-Smartphones/dp/B01M0J5N37/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1487716592&sr=8-7&keywords=portable+external+battery+charger+usb

If the power outlet is far from where you sit, I would just recommend to use the USB port on the computer or an external battery pack.  The advantages outweigh the disadvantages of computer USB ports. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #2,657 of 2,974
  Either that or you can get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Vinsic-20000mAh-External-Portable-Smartphones/dp/B01M0J5N37/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1487716592&sr=8-7&keywords=portable+external+battery+charger+usb

If the power outlet is far from where you sit, I would just recommend to use the USB port on the computer or an external battery pack.  The advantages outweigh the disadvantages of computer USB ports. 

The power bank idea is a good one.  I'd love to use my Anker E5 at work to power my P1 - it is currently just lying around my apartment, waiting for a power outage. However, the E5 is too heavy to take with me on my commute, due to pain issues and the other items I need to carry every day.  I will shop for a lighter-weight portable power supply and think about using that instead of the awkward surge protector and extension cord that would also attract unwanted attention at work.  I can still power the P1 for several hours on a smaller power bank, I think.  I forgot how large the battery is in the P1, but I'll check and compare with various power banks that would be light enough to carry with me every day.  [Edit: it's 3000mah, which means that even a small, lightweight power bank will give me as much as a full charge of the P1's battery].

Enjoy your music!

Today at work I went from Gorecki's 3rd Symphony, to Lambert, Hendricks & Ross, to King Crimson, to Jimi Hendrix - then I had to turn off the P1 so I could focus on my work....darn that work!

Jeff

Feb 22, 2017 at 5:49 AM Post #2,658 of 2,974
If anyone is interested there is an open box P1 for sale at advancedmp3players, £486 instead of £740

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk/shop/MP3_Players.1/Cowon.609/COWONP1/Cowon_Plenue_1__P1__High_Resolution__World_s_Finest_DAC__128GB_Music_Player.14436.html#pClearance7338

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM Post #2,659 of 2,974
Just in case nobody has seen this yet (link was posted over on the Plenue S page), it looks like there is going to be an update coming soon:

Plenue 2

http://plenue.cowon.com/product/PLENUE2/product_page_1.php

Get your wallets ready.....
blink.gif

Feb 28, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #2,660 of 2,974
Feb 28, 2017 at 4:32 PM Post #2,662 of 2,974
Dammit!!!
mad.gif

Latest Premium DAC AK4497EQ? What happened to the Burr Brown being the "Best in the world"

These chips all sound great depending on the rest of the circuits.  I have the Cary 200ts Dac with 4 AK4490EQ dac chips.  Sounds great.  The P1 and the Luxman DA-06 has PCM1792A, also sounds great.  I also have the LiteDac-60 which uses dual pcm1702 R2R dac.  It also sounds wonderful.  With the end result of hearing the sound,  I actually like it very much that Cowon is using a variety of dac chips.  It gives the user a choice unlike Oppo that has decided to continue to use ESS chips for their flagship products.  

Feb 28, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #2,663 of 2,974
These chips all sound great depending on the rest of the circuits.  I have the Cary 200ts Dac with 4 AK4490EQ dac chips.  Sounds great.  The P1 and the Luxman DA-06 has PCM1792A, also sounds great.  I also have the LiteDac-60 which uses dual pcm1702 R2R dac.  It also sounds wonderful.  With the end result of hearing the sound,  I actually like it very much that Cowon is using a variety of dac chips.  It gives the user a choice unlike Oppo that has decided to continue to use ESS chips for their flagship products.  

I know. Technology and new arrivals are such a love hate feeling. Love it's new and supposedly better, but hate to buy or have to sell what already have or have more than needed. :mad:

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #2,664 of 2,974
I know. Technology and new arrivals are such a love hate feeling. Love it's new and supposedly better, but hate to buy or have to sell what already have or have more than needed.
mad.gif

In audio, being new doesn't mean anything.  There are some old dac chips (decades old) that will put many if not all of the newer chips to shame.  Some of the older (and most wanted) equipment on Ebay has seen surges in pricing.  

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,665 of 2,974
http://www.stereophile.com/news/10221/#Xg4Yx4aImAqaX3Wj.97

1998 - The PCM1704 was released.  It is a true multibit R2R dac.  Some companies are just now going to R2R dacs including Schiit, Audio-GD, and several other high end manufacturers.  They are trying to catch up to what the Burr Brown Corporation offered in 1998.  Sadly, it was purchased by Texas Instruments and they decided to keep the trade name but I would have liked to see what other advances Burr Brown would have came up with.  TI decided to stop production at some time because manufacturing processes it required such as "laser trimming" of resistors was expensive and for them to be able to compete in the market, they had to have much cheaper alternatives.  

The pcm1704 dac even today will be able to hold it its own and even overtake the world's best dacs.  Even the Trinity Dac (somewhere around $30,000) uses 8 of these pcm1704 chips.  

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #2,666 of 2,974
In audio, being new doesn't mean anything.  There are some old dac chips (decades old) that will put many if not all of the newer chips to shame.  Some of the older (and most wanted) equipment on Ebay has seen surges in pricing.  

I'll trust you on that. :D I'm done with DAP's. I'm searching for the elusive but not crazy costing IEM instead.:D

Feb 28, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #2,667 of 2,974
  http://www.stereophile.com/news/10221/#Xg4Yx4aImAqaX3Wj.97

1998 - The PCM1704 was released.  It is a true multibit R2R dac.  Some companies are just now going to R2R dacs including Schiit, Audio-GD, and several other high end manufacturers.  They are trying to catch up to what the Burr Brown Corporation offered in 1998.  Sadly, it was purchased by Texas Instruments and they decided to keep the trade name but I would have liked to see what other advances Burr Brown would have came up with.  TI decided to stop production at some time because manufacturing processes it required such as "laser trimming" of resistors was expensive and for them to be able to compete in the market, they had to have much cheaper alternatives.  

The pcm1704 dac even today will be able to hold it its own and even overtake the world's best dacs.  Even the Trinity Dac (somewhere around $30,000) uses 8 of these pcm1704 chips.  

One of my all-time favourite dac chips. My main rig DAC,  Naim DAC with outboard power supply, uses a brace of the PCM1704UK chips (I believe they're double crown, ie matched and with a very high specification tolerance). One of the few bits of stereo I won't be replacing for an awful long time. For an interesting read on the differences between R2R and delta-sigma chips (such as the ESS Sabre 90218) this article is fascinating, particularly the last third where the technical differences are explained. http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue65/dac.htm

regards,

Giles

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #2,668 of 2,974
I just glanced at the new thread for the P2.  I'm sure it will sound wonderful and be a joy to operate, however, I don't feel terrible that I bought a P1 only a month ago.  Looking at the price and features of the new model, and the price I paid for my P1 (half of that), I don't believe I'll feel that my P1 is hugely inferior.  So, I might be a little envious, but I won't feel crushed.

Feb 28, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #2,669 of 2,974
I just glanced at the new thread for the P2.  I'm sure it will sound wonderful and be a joy to operate, however, I don't feel terrible that I bought a P1 only a month ago.  Looking at the price and features of the new model, and the price I paid for my P1 (half of that), I don't believe I'll feel that my P1 is hugely inferior.  So, I might be a little envious, but I won't feel crushed.

Right? I'm just going to wait for a guinea pig or someone with more money to blow to get the P2 and if they have the P1 compare if it was really worth shelling out $1000.00. Even then I would wait a while for the price to drop like all the others have after time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back