Cowon Plenue D
Mar 23, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #4,096 of 4,949
Also if someone has the power output specs, I recall only seeing specs at 16 ohms.  But curious at higher, 32 ohms for the AKG K545 and 62 ohms for potential use (unlikely) for my AKG Q701s. Thanks.

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #4,097 of 4,949
I use the PD for commuting and at work. This is a great DAP for that user profile in my opinion. Battery life is amazing.

I have some aiff loaded and it plays them just fine. I don't know about the imbedded artwork though. My artwork is a jpg contained in the folder.

Also, can't give you info about those specific headphones but here is a PDF of the user manual. Output stated as 1 vrms at 0.5 ohms.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/A1h-YUi83KL.pdf

My understanding PD uses wolfson DAC.

rr12267

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #4,098 of 4,949
Believe all my artwork is the standard embedded..no desire to convert or export art to another format.  Will I be disappointed with this?

I saw the manual..did some research and calculated 31 mW at 32 ohms and 16 mW at 62 ohm (strong caveat that this math is foreign to me).  Seems rather..puny?  

Mar 23, 2017 at 9:54 AM Post #4,101 of 4,949
I just rip CDs into AIFF using iTunes, then copy over the album cover if not automatically recognized.  Not sure about the format of the art file so will have to check (I never look at files on a Mac..kinda the point of a Mac).  Thanks.

Mar 23, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #4,102 of 4,949
If the artwork is embedded into the AIFF files then you should be good, otherwise just place a .jpg or .png file to the folder and name it "cover".

I know nothing of the AKG so I have no input on that. 

The DAC chip is a Wolfson DAC but I can't remember what exact model, its somewhere in this giant thread.

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #4,103 of 4,949
  Thinking of "upgrading" my commuting setup from iphone 6 to this Cowon Plenue D.  All my files are AIFF (on Mac) which I understand is supported by this unit. I've read about half of this fulsome thread but want to confirm:  Will artwork from my AIFF files display on the PD?  

Also will this be able to drive the AKG K545 to satisfactory levels?  (I'm not familiar with this headphone yet as is also new, I currently use Sony MDR V6.)

Curious to confirm, what's the DAC chip in this?

Thanks.

Cowon Plenue D DAC is Wolfson WM8998 (Source: http://www.toutiao.com/i6242024182998106625/ )

Mar 23, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #4,104 of 4,949
With all this talk about cover art tagging.  Does anyone use JRiver?  The cover art is being embedded in the files but it doesn't show up on my Cowon S9 or Fiio X3ii (and I'm assuming the same will be true once I get a Plenue D).  My Cowon I drag and drop within JRiver to sync.  My Fiio I drag and drop the files directly from the file folder onto an SD card.

Idk if I need to change a setting, or if there is a way for JRiver to auto store the cover art as a .jpeg in the album folder.

Any help is appreciated!

Mar 25, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #4,106 of 4,949
The specs on Cowon website says max 200gb. May I know has anyone managed to have a fully loaded 200gb card work on your pd? Otherwise will stick with 128gb. Thanks.

Weird. Now it is written on the Cowon Global website that accepts micro SD card up to 200GB. I'm pretty sure it was not written like this before. Did they change that with the new firmware? Someone has to test...

Mar 25, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #4,107 of 4,949

Weird. Now it is written on the Cowon Global website that accepts micro SD card up to 200GB. I'm pretty sure it was not written like this before. Did they change that with the new firmware? Someone has to test...

wow that will make this even a sweeter DAP. Someone please test, I have been wanting to buy a 200GB card for the longest time. 

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #4,108 of 4,949

Your right about the stated size, below is the link to the specifications sheet on the Cowon Global site:

http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUED/product_page_4.php

It also notes that the card has to be formatted as FAT32, with a link to the formatting GUI program below:

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/index.htm?guiformat.htm

I would also be interested in if a 200 GB card really works now, which must either be a firmware update (probably) or they came out with new production that is different than those before.  My past understanding was that 128 was the max and that while a few were able to get a bit more by tweaking the format/player, only 128 cards worked by plug n' play.  Interesting...

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #4,109 of 4,949
  wow that will make this even a sweeter DAP. Someone please test, I have been wanting to buy a 200GB card for the longest time. 

I tried a 200gb card formatted eXfat, didn't read it at all, some time back i tried the 200gb formatted fat32, and did not see all the files, what ever else that was left was deemed invalid file, so i have my doubts, i am not about to reformat to fat32 to check it out, too much music to copy back to it. My other players use the cards formatted as is. It's a shame it wont accept the eXfat format.

Mar 25, 2017 at 6:38 PM Post #4,110 of 4,949
Hi guys,

Let me ask the following question to the PD lovers: if someone has Astell@Kern 120 II, okay with 24/192 [however his home lib is mostly DSD], but wants a longer battery life and smaller size... will PD be a good choice? How big would be the difference in SQ and will it still please the AK owner? Or, it would be a big step back? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back