Cowon Plenue D
Dec 27, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #362 of 4,949
  Can anyone comment on the volume levels from the D vs the M?  I'm really stuck between which one I want.  On one hand, it would be great to save like $500 on the player and call it a day.  But I do like the build and the quality that the M presents.  Battery life kinda sucks with the M, and it's a definite advantage for the D.  If both players are black, that's huge.

I know that using my J3 right now, I definitely get hiss with using both my Ultimate Ears 900s IEM's as well as my Sony MDR-1A's.  I also know that I really have to jack the volume up on the Sony's to get them to a good volume level - depending on what I am listening to and where I am, there are times I have to get the J3 to 35/40 on the volume scale, which I don't really want to do - I don't like pushing an amp to its near range as it will generally start to distort.  How is the volume level on the D vs the J3?  

I believe that the two are identical when it comes to volume. D has 100 levels of volume and J3 has 40. Both sounded identical to me at max volume in terms of loudness.

EDIT: This was with no EQ. I think some EQs of Jet Effect 5 are little modified, and some may be louder compared to the Jet Effect 3 counterparts.

Dec 27, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #365 of 4,949
It is easy to estimate maximum output headphone amplifier power by using this equation:

Output Power in mille watts [mW] equal RMS Output Voltage Squared divided by Headphones Impedance in Ohms and all multiplied by 1000:
 mW

Cowon J3 Pout= 29 mW at 16 Ohm headphones;
Cowon M2 Pout= 29* mW at 16 Ohm headphones;
Plenue D Pout= 62.5 mW at 16 Ohm headphones;
Plenue M Pout= 250 mW at 16 Ohm headphones;
Plenue S Pout= 562.5 mW at 16 Ohm headphones.
Chip used in M2 can output maximum * 40 mW at 16 Ohms.

Dec 27, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #367 of 4,949

Dec 28, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #368 of 4,949
I've just ordered 2. I heard my friends player briefly and it was a no brainer, loved the sound. Not like me , I usually do lots of research first, I was buying 2 Fiio X3iis until a couple of hours ago
tongue_smile.gif

I'll update with my lo-fi, non techno babble thoughts when I receive them
ph34r.gif

Dec 28, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #370 of 4,949
I've just ordered 2. I heard my friends player briefly and it was a no brainer, loved the sound. Not like me , I usually do lots of research first, I was buying 2 Fiio X3iis until a couple of hours ago :tongue_smile:

I'll update with my lo-fi, non techno babble thoughts when I receive them :ph34r:

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:53 AM Post #372 of 4,949
Dec 29, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #373 of 4,949
Just got mine, here are my first impressions. My other DAPs were rockboxed iriver H140 -> cowon S9 -> cowon J3. Headphones are senn momentums (non bluetooth). Upgraded the plenue D to 1.02. I'm going to be more critical than praise, because that's just how I am. It's in hope that issues can be recognized and corrected in future firmware updates. Some of it is nitpicks, too.

+ Great sound! No problems here, sounds clearer than my J3, though exactly how I'm not sure yet as I haven't A-B'ed it. 
+ Nice design, I like the thicker and shorter form-factor. Don't like players than are too thin. Same reason why I find phones uncomfortable to hold. Must be my big hands.
+ Battery life. It's nice not to have to worry about charging it for weeks!
+ Standard usb jack, finally! Little things like this are important.

- Doesn't seem to be audible-ready. The S9 and J3 are. Hopefully audible and/or cowon can fix that soon.
- The UI is very laggy. Noticeably more than the J3 and S9. I know it's an audio player first, and I don't expect (or need) iphone-silky-smoothness, but this is pretty bad. I don't think it's acceptable anymore in 2015/16 with the advances of modern embedded hardware. Hopefully they can improve it in firmware, as they have in the past with other players. It's especially noticeable when you're scrolling through albums/artists.
- Definite lack of options, in the settings menu and in general. Whether it's big things, like the J3 (and I think S9) allowed us to scale the font in list views. Or small things, like being able to set the interval that the LED blinks. I've got the J3 and D settings side-by-side, and the D's are very sparse. Yes it's perfectly usable as default, but why the regression in settings/options? Some of us like to tweak things for that much more usability. It definitely has regressed in that department since the J3.

Dec 29, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #375 of 4,949
Originally Posted by cloudscapes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
- The UI is very laggy. Noticeably more than the J3 and S9. I know it's an audio player first, and I don't expect (or need) iphone-silky-smoothness, but this is pretty bad. I don't think it's acceptable anymore in 2015/16 with the advances of modern embedded hardware. Hopefully they can improve it in firmware, as they have in the past with other players. It's especially noticeable when you're scrolling through albums/artists.
- Definite lack of options, in the settings menu and in general. Whether it's big things, like the J3 (and I think S9) allowed us to scale the font in list views. Or small things, like being able to set the interval that the LED blinks. I've got the J3 and D settings side-by-side, and the D's are very sparse. Yes it's perfectly usable as default, but why the regression in settings/options? Some of us like to tweak things for that much more usability. It definitely has regressed in that department since the J3.

Finally impressions from someone who updated it! Thanks.

Hmmm, so yeah, that doesn't sound good to me. I don't know if I could use a player that has less options and is more laggy than the J3 (mine is pretty smooth thanks to a custom UI). Not sure I will buy this now. I wish I could give it a try but I highly doubt any store around here (France) will have any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back