Cowon Plenue D
Dec 9, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #152 of 4,949
yep. will retire my Somy A17 for the D. Have to wait til January as I stretched my December budget already too far (couldn't they have announced the D a month earlier?) but I think I made up my mind. I want it!
yep The D and S on my list.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM Post #153 of 4,949
Urgh I think you have all gone a tad mad. Am i the only one that's not that impressed by this? So expensive for such lag, I doubt the majority of you will be able to tell the difference in sound quality over this and the far cheaper M2. It might hiss less... but really yer paying twice for capacitive screen and lag and perhaps less hiss lol.

Where is the microsd slot for the i9+! Where is the J3+
Honestly the J3 doesn't lag as much as this... it's 2015 Cowon!!

Ach... anyway, playing devils advocate here, far too much "WOW OMG" here for my liking :p

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #154 of 4,949
When my Plenue arrives, the first thing I'm doing is comparing identical songs between it and my 4 year old J3, no EQ. If I don't notice a difference, I'll give you a hot dog. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #156 of 4,949
  When my Plenue arrives, the first thing I'm doing is comparing identical songs between it and my 4 year old J3, no EQ. If I don't notice a difference, I'll give you a hot dog. 

Haha ok ok!

No, but in all seriousness it goes like this. When i had my Alien Shozy I was impressed with the sound, I then went to compare it with a Sansa Fuze. Whilst it trumped the sound quality most of the time, depending upon the track being played and point in the song, the two were indistinguishable from one another at many other times also. Same with the Hippo Biscuit vs Shozy, yes at certain times I could tell the difference (the Biscuit duller and had less 'life' about it) but at other times I could not tell the difference (this was using a A/B switch). Of course genre plays a part, bang on some Death Metal and its far harder to tell the difference with all that thrashing going on! Jazz and classical different.

I sincerely doubt this D will be any different. Oh for sure ppl will suffer from new toy syndrome, but if used the same DSP/Jet Effects applied in both devices, volume matched, and listened closely and were being objective, I rekon the sound will be virtually the same, perhaps cleaner signal at times with the D but not much in it really.

Prove me wrong :p

just would like to know why they do not say which DAC is used...

That's because it's the same as the M2, how else do you think its getting such similar battery run times :p

Dec 9, 2015 at 11:50 PM Post #157 of 4,949
One Punch Man, did you also order any of those two extra items which I assume are the case and screen film protector? I only got the more expensive one (which I believe is the case).

No, I actually do not even know what color it will be. The exstra options were too dangerous to click.

Dec 10, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #158 of 4,949

That's because it's the same as the M2, how else do you think its getting such similar battery run times :p

you mean my excitement is a bit premature? Maybe I should switch back to my original idea of getting the Questyle then for serious listening and an FiiO M3 for connection to my speaker for podcasts and audiobooks?

Or I wait for the official pricing and specs of teh Plenue S, but there I have a feeling it will go beyond the 2k pricetag...

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:19 AM Post #159 of 4,949
The price for some of these dap's is just getting plain ridiculous! Sure, a nice case costs a bit more, as does a better dac chip or opamp but we are talking a few dollars, probably less than twenty, not hundreds! Or even thousands!! I think we need to be more objective and vote with our brain, and ears, and not with our hearts.
I, for one, will not pay thousands for a dap. It isn't that I can't afford it, as I can fortunately, but because I simply cannot justify it with the small incremental improvement(if any) in sound quality over a more moderately priced unit. If my ears can hardly tell the difference, then why spend more money? There are some manufacturers that are laughing all the way to the bank because we(collectively) are paying a premium for some marketing hype to drive the prices skyward, and to boot, they use us as an R&D department!
Unless we get realistic about this whole deal, the prices will just continue to escalate and we will end up with a situation similar to the two channel hi-fi world where prices have reached stupid proportions and this is accepted as normal! We need to wake up and draw the line on escalating costs by not buying the stupidly priced equipment and then the manufacturers will hold their costs and give us better value for money. Just my 2c worth. Cheers. 

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #160 of 4,949
That's essentially why I saved 800 bucks and chose the Plenue D over the 1 or M. Luckily I'm in a position where $400 isn't very much, I think I payed slightly less for my now haggard J3.

Dec 10, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #161 of 4,949
  Urgh I think you have all gone a tad mad. Am i the only one that's not that impressed by this? So expensive for such lag, I doubt the majority of you will be able to tell the difference in sound quality over this and the far cheaper M2. It might hiss less... but really yer paying twice for capacitive screen and lag and perhaps less hiss lol.

Where is the microsd slot for the i9+! Where is the J3+
Honestly the J3 doesn't lag as much as this... it's 2015 Cowon!!

Ach... anyway, playing devils advocate here, far too much "WOW OMG" here for my liking :p

This is Head-Fi, where everyone needs to upgrade to the new shiny, even if it sounds the same or worse.  A&K has figured it out and just keeps increasing their prices while making small changes, like the material of the housing and people snatch them up.

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:42 PM Post #163 of 4,949
If someone comes across a cheap silicone case for this one, please tell. I actually do not have a 128gb micro sd, but a normal SD card.

I would like to use a sd to micro sd adapter and hide it in the silicone case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back