Cowon Plenue D
Dec 9, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #137 of 4,949
Thanks dude!

I don't know why but I'm not in the habit of going back and reading through. Call me lazy but I'll try to do from now on.

Somehow I like the look of this player.
With my past experience with plenue Z I was disappointed with the lack of updates when new players were coming into the market.

I feel although the hardware can't be renewed atleast companies need to upgrade their software and not leave their older products in the dark. The same is now going with my zx2.

And the same will happen to this Cowon...
They don't update their firmware as often as you think. In fact, I can't even remember the last time I updated a Cowon player. So if you are looking for a player with that kind of support, I think that only FiiO, iBasso and maybe Questyle are being as pro-active. Of course, Sony and Cowon's software is usually pretty much flawless so...

It's not for gym, and I don't have a phone (and I don't want one). Yeah, Sony has launch a new codec, the LDAC (I have the headphone compatible with it, the Sony MDR 1ABT). But their players are too pricey for me. I'm looking for something with a touch screen, Bluetooth, a SD Card slot and a good battery life (400$ max). I was thinking of the Cowon Z2 (since it's one of their model that come without files limit), but it's a 4 years old model now, and the battery life has been criticized. I like the AK JR, but then again, the battery life is an issue (less than 10 hours). The Plenue D would have been absolutely perfect for me if it has come with Bluetooth 
frown.gif

No kidding --> http://www.amazon.com/Nokia-Lumia-635-Annual-Contract/dp/B00LBFFSNM/ref=sr_1_4?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1449695521&sr=1-4&keywords=lumia+635

Use this as a cheapo player (bluetooth) for my car and for wherever... If there's Wi-Fi then you will have access to a bunch of stuff wherever you are. It has microSD, removable battery, and you can get the Windows 10 mobile preview version installed and it WILL play FLAC files (yeah, even higher bit rate ones -- If you stick with windows 8.1, High-res FLAC is not supported).

Anyway, it will not provide the fidelity you are probably looking for, but seeing that you can probably get one of these for less than $30 from Amazon Warehouse (very good or like new unit), it is an absolute EXCELLENT buy. In fact, I'm steering everyone I know to it as a cheapo alternative. :)

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #140 of 4,949
Mine is already on international delivery. EMS is quite fast. I expect it next week
smily_headphones1.gif
)))

One Punch Man, did you also order any of those two extra items which I assume are the case and screen film protector? I only got the more expensive one (which I believe is the case).

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #141 of 4,949
The audio store E-Earphone has published a Japanese review on the Plenue D.

http://www.e-earphone.jp/blog/?p=29621

Quick translation:

Details:
  1. The 3rd product of the Plenue line.
    1. Plenue is the mixture of the words "Pleasure, Plenty, Plenum" and "Avenue, Continue, New". Did not know that.
    2. D stands for the "do" on the do-re-mi scale, signifying an entry model
  2. Extremely small, basically the same size of an AK100 without the volume knob, slightly narrower
  3. Headphone jack up top, MicroUSB port below, single MicroSD card slot on one side, volume + pause/play + skip on the other
  4. Max 160GB with 32GB internal + 128GB MicroSD
  5. Huge screen covers the majority of the front
  6. Simple UI dedicated to music listening, easy to use with no bloat
  7. No line out or digital out; best for people looking for a simple player + IEM setup
  8. 100 hours playback MP3, 50 hours playback FLAC, 3.5 hour charge
  9. Up to 192/24

Sound:
  1. Pairs extremely well with UM Maverick and Macbeth
  2. Pairs well with FitEar Air and Aya
  3. Pairs regular with MUIX IX1000, AKG N20, Westone30, Sennheiser HD25
  4. Pairs not so well with AK T1P
  5. Seems to pair better with IEMs much better than headphones
  6. Very detailed sound that awes from the beginning
  7. Best described as "modeled/sculpted and three-dimensional" sound
  8. More of natural sound than pursuing realisticness and huge soundstage
  9. Unlike the 100% uncolored sound of the other Plenues, it seems that it sounds slightly colored, but for the better
    1. Compared as "A dish that uses nothing but 100% fresh ingredients" to "A dish flavored by a talented chef"
  10. The well-conditioned sound created by years of Cowon's development can be enjoyed even after you have tried the most expensive DAPs out there
  11. Over 40 presets in JetEffect's equalizer
  12. Once one uses the EQ, they go from "unmodified sound is best" to "whatever is most enjoyable is best"
  13. Simple 5 band EQ + BBE, Mach3Bass, 3D Surround, MP Enhance
  14. The UI is extremely easy to navigate, very responsive and stress-free, even when messing with the EQ
  15. Even without EQ, it plays all songs well
  16. Overall, an astonishing price to performance ratio.

Dec 9, 2015 at 7:10 PM Post #142 of 4,949
Thanks for the translated review! I was hoping for more comparisons between D and Plenue 1. But judging by all that, it's a hell of a bargain for sub $500 and will probably be way better in the SQ department than the J3. I'm really glad I made the purchase. 

Dec 9, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #144 of 4,949
From what I've read, Gmarket orders don't suffer from custom fees when going to Canada. And that maybe just a general thing about orders between the two countries anyway because of their free trade agreement.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #150 of 4,949

Users who are viewing this thread

Back