Cowon Plenue D
Jan 12, 2016 at 4:47 AM Post #616 of 4,949
Formatted to Fat32 and the D sees both 128 and 200gb cards. They need to get rid of lag in this thing, although it's perfectly useable, coming from the near perfect PlenM interface, it's a big step down. Still love the little thing. I agree that Cowon players are saved by the eq. But I love being able to tweak the sound just so.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:27 AM Post #619 of 4,949
Tried both of them yesterday, neither worked. Not a big deal though, the missus seems to have forgotten about it now. I'll have a play around with a few things, I'm not that techie, but quite savvy, just wish I was both lol

Cheers for your help though
happy_face1.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #622 of 4,949
  After a few hours of testing and comparing both the J3 and the Plenue D, under very similar settings they sound very similar .... :) 

does anyone else get this impression ?

Yes others did, this was much to be expected. Even the P1 or M wouldn't be a night and day difference to the D, a lot boils down to what headphones you use, cans being better suited to the P and M.

It's amazing how the D's battery stay full charge even after most hi-rez players died out after 13 hrs or less

It is, and it raises the question about the 'boutique' line of DAPs in general doesn't it. Why do we need all those power hungry components for Hi Res playback if we get stuck at 8-12hrs battery life...
Cowon are showing here that you can get the same sound quality with much longer battery life, other companies need to follow suit, a DAP needs to be portable, especially when the majority of us are also ferrying around a smartphone.

Just to clarify... the Plenue 1 is the best sounding player I have heard so it would be criminal to hide it away in a safe place. I meant I wouldn't take it jogging or maybe on an active holiday, A home rig ties you to a single room (unless wireless) where I use around the house/garden/commuting, work stay aways and staying with family.

Oh I get you, I would be acting much the same. I was simply saying that I think there gets to a price point with DAPs that actually serves as a significant negative to it being truly 'portable' or suitable for all activities.

My job is as a cleaner, I also go to the gym a fair bit. I just couldn't justify the price tag of a P or M in either of those environment conditions. I feel scared enough taking my AP100 out with me (which was $330AUD, my most expensive DAP purchase to date).

Jan 12, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #623 of 4,949
OK so I opened the PlenD and set it next to the M2, Check the pics. The PlenD WM chip is: WM8998E  S6ARD28 (I think, my eyes are rubbish lol)
Yes it all works after putting it back together
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:04 PM Post #624 of 4,949
That telechip processor is the same processor used in the J3.  At the very least, firmware upgrades should get us to J3 level's of UI.  Also note that the D20 used the same chip, but was also Rockbox'ed.

Can't figure out what the DAC is though.  WM8998E would suggest a wolfson something, but that's not a DAC number as I am finding.  Safe to say though it's probably some sort of Wolfson DAC though.

Jan 12, 2016 at 4:23 PM Post #625 of 4,949
  That telechip processor is the same processor used in the J3.  At the very least, firmware upgrades should get us to J3 level's of UI.  Also note that the D20 used the same chip, but was also Rockbox'ed.

oooh Rockbox... a man can dream
rolleyes.gif

Jan 12, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #626 of 4,949
My job is as a cleaner, I also go to the gym a fair bit. I just couldn't justify the price tag of a P or M in either of those environment conditions. I feel scared enough taking my AP100 out with me (which was $330AUD, my most expensive DAP purchase to date).

So your a hitman? Should be able to afford them all.
biggrin.gif

I felt similar to you but have been searching for a replacement for the J3 for ages. Both the P1 and D step up to the mark.
Last night I downloaded ELP's Trilogy from HDTracks in AIFF 24 bit 96khz. Not my all time favorite but has 'something of everything' on it... a great test subject... acoustic, classical, country, synth...
I played it through from start to finish on the D and quite surprised how close I thought it was to the P1... until I switched across to the P1. There is definitely a noticeable improvement . However, the D is very good and a worthy successor to the the J3.

I have thousands of songs and usually listen in shuffle mode so never really use the interface once started although the lag is annoying it should be patched.

I need more time...

Jan 12, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #627 of 4,949

Can't figure out what the DAC is though.  WM8998E would suggest a wolfson something, but that's not a DAC number as I am finding.  Safe to say though it's probably some sort of Wolfson DAC though.

http://www.cirrus.com/en/pubs/proBulletin/WM8998_productbrief_v3.0.pdf

From what I read on this document, it seems like a audio processing module that does more than just DAC.
It also can do signal processing (equalizer and stuff) , the DAC part and even a direct analog output for headphones
rolleyes.gif

But it's main job seems to be digital audio processing, cowon could have implemented the amplification part elsewhere in the circuit. IDK
Looks like the D indeed uses a wolfson, glad I placed the order and regret not paying 10 bucks more for express courier delivery

Jan 12, 2016 at 9:33 PM Post #628 of 4,949
  oooh Rockbox... a man can dream

Mind you, Rockboxing the D would mean no more Jet Effect/BBE, at least AFAIK that's what it would mean. You'd get all the benefits of RB but none of the Cowon, so it's kinda not worth the trade imo.

So your a hitman? Should be able to afford them all.

I felt similar to you but have been searching for a replacement for the J3 for ages. Both the P1 and D step up to the mark.
Last night I downloaded ELP's Trilogy from HDTracks in AIFF 24 bit 96khz. Not my all time favorite but has 'something of everything' on it... a great test subject... acoustic, classical, country, synth...
I played it through from start to finish on the D and quite surprised how close I thought it was to the P1... until I switched across to the P1. There is definitely a noticeable improvement . However, the D is very good and a worthy successor to the the J3.

I have thousands of songs and usually listen in shuffle mode so never really use the interface once started although the lag is annoying it should be patched.

I need more time...

Hehe.

Lol, for all my griping about the lag and interface i'm pretty much the same. My actual preferred method to interact with my DAPs is to connect them to the PC (before leaving the house), then using winamp or some other music software create and choose the music I want to hear that day in the form of a playlist. Then it's pretty much switch on the device, navigate to playlist and hit play. After that it's just hitting the volume for tiny adjustments here or there, and perhaps skip a track or two.

However, I do find the dedicated EQ button of the AP100 a life saver, it's great when using shuffle all to be able to make very quick on the fly EQ adjustments via toggling through your eight (yes EIGHT) custom presets!

With Cowon I had a pretty good way of making shortcuts to do pretty much the same thing, but it's still not the same as hitting an actual button.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #629 of 4,949
Whenever I use the Cowon equalizer on a new player  it feels like I'm starting my first day at school all over again.
I think Cowon missed a trick and don't mind them nicking my idea.

There are dozens of presets, but many fail to hit that sweet spot for my ears. So... why not provide the presets as a starting point that can be customized? Unless you're a pro sound engineer it can take weeks to stumble upon the exact settings for one of the presets. Imagine taking the BBE Headphone, or the Blues setting and being able to slightly tweak it for the perfect fit. In fact if anyone finds it easy to recreate... say... the rock settings, then please share.

It takes me months to create the 4 user presets that cover the wide range of my vinyl, 8 track, cassette and CD collection, which began in the trippy 60's (Dylan, Doors, Stones, Crazy Horse, Kinks, Floyd...), through the rockin' 70's (Prog, early Bowie -RIP- Punk, Soul, Reggae... skip Disco), over the 'big hair' 80's and 'back to basic' 90's. I feel privileged to have lived through these amazing decades but feel penalized because of my wide range of taste.

Jan 13, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #630 of 4,949

Mind you, Rockboxing the D would mean no more Jet Effect/BBE, at least AFAIK that's what it would mean. You'd get all the benefits of RB but none of the Cowon, so it's kinda not worth the trade imo.

Dual-boot, then
biggrin.gif
Well, really I just want to be able to play Arkanoid... every DAP needs Arkanoid...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back