Cowon Plenue D
Jun 11, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #2,896 of 4,949
  I'm having a problem with Plenue D. The songs of the internal memory of the player (not the micro SD) during the exchange of track to another track are showing noise (very low), but this only happens when the screen is off.

Turn off all the audio processing. I noticed this when using certain presets; when a song would fade out I'd hear what sounds like quantization noise. Wasn't doing it on BBE but was on some of the other named presets. Turned off the processing and it went away. 

Jun 11, 2016 at 8:53 AM Post #2,897 of 4,949
At last! somebody has listened to it and not analysed it, 35 pages later, that was what i was looking for, I hear alot about UI, and how it's not silky smooth or it jitters a bit, or doesn't put the kettle on when you need a brew, I mean come on!!  I have a "colorfly C3" and coming from that, anything, I mean everything is better  it's the only player i have or have ever had,  but i have just ordered the "cowon Plenue D" avec Le "focal spirit pro's" I hope they are a good match, I am getting older now so need something a little louder and found the sound from the C3 a little too bright with the "RHA SA950's" and dull with the "DT990 pro's" but that could be the 250, OHM's  but I was hoping that my "fiio E12" Amp would have driven them, they didn't,  I don't like IEM's, never have, so as the "Focals" are only about 32 OHM's they should be OK to drive.
I don't care about UI or what CHIP it's using if it sounds good thats all that matters, and if it weighs the same as a wet bath towel so be it, I know i am going to get a lot of negativity  
here but I'm too old to care, you pays your money you takes your choice, it's you living with it and you paying for it. Enjoy the Music all.

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #2,898 of 4,949
Turn off all the audio processing. I noticed this when using certain presets; when a song would fade out I'd hear what sounds like quantization noise. Wasn't doing it on BBE but was on some of the other named presets. Turned off the processing and it went away. 

I was using the " preset" normal. I switched to " user 1 " and not change anything, not activating any feature. The noise continues. And I noticed that it is stronger in the internal memory than the micro sd card .

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #2,899 of 4,949
On all your songs? What happens if you copy a song that does not do this that is on the SD to the internal memory and do a test? What happens?

On all songs. The noise is much weaker in the SD card , however it is still .

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #2,900 of 4,949
I'm having a problem with Plenue D. The songs of the internal memory of the player (not the micro SD) during the exchange of track to another track are showing noise (very low), but this only happens when the screen is off.

You are using an IEM that gives 119 dB (almost the threshold of pain) for just 1 mW.

You are expecting too damn much from a £200 DAP.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #2,901 of 4,949
You are using an IEM that gives 119 dB (almost the threshold of pain) for just 1 mW.

You are expecting too damn much from a £200 DAP.

In my Cowon J3 this noise does not occur.

Your theory is not based on experience.

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #2,902 of 4,949
pd is one of the cleanest dap at its price range imho
beerchug.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #2,903 of 4,949
  pd is one of the cleanest dap at its price range imho
beerchug.gif

For sure! I am very happy with my upgrade! (coming from a Cowon J3). ^-^

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #2,906 of 4,949
Damn, I paid 270.00 a couple weeks back. Oh well, still happy I have it. Worth what I paid for it...

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:31 PM Post #2,907 of 4,949
I paid US$210.00 in my just over one month ago buying in Japan.
biggrin.gif

Jun 16, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #2,909 of 4,949
I recived the Brown Leather case I Ordered from South korea today, the seller shipped it fast and it arrived in 2 weeks so Good seller.
However, The postman  has squeezed and twisted a package that is too big  for a smaler postbox instead of delivery on the door
so the Leather protection box was twisted and broken like it came out of a washing machine.
I was afraid the leather case was all twisted too, when i opened, It was fine no twist only some dirt on it, which luckely went away with water.
I think it came from the way postman threated the parcel
Im glad the Leather case was fine,  and now i have all accesories i need for Plenue D  Navy and brown official case and Red and Green dignis case.
I was lucky this time there was no border taxes on the leather case since i am in europe and it came from south korea, the value of the leather case was too low to pay tax

Jun 16, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #2,910 of 4,949
  At last! somebody has listened to it and not analysed it, 35 pages later, that was what i was looking for, I hear alot about UI, and how it's not silky smooth or it jitters a bit, or doesn't put the kettle on when you need a brew, I mean come on!!  I have a "colorfly C3" and coming from that, anything, I mean everything is better  it's the only player i have or have ever had,  but i have just ordered the "cowon Plenue D" avec Le "focal spirit pro's" I hope they are a good match, I am getting older now so need something a little louder and found the sound from the C3 a little too bright with the "RHA SA950's" and dull with the "DT990 pro's" but that could be the 250, OHM's  but I was hoping that my "fiio E12" Amp would have driven them, they didn't,  I don't like IEM's, never have, so as the "Focals" are only about 32 OHM's they should be OK to drive.
I don't care about UI or what CHIP it's using if it sounds good thats all that matters, and if it weighs the same as a wet bath towel so be it, I know i am going to get a lot of negativity  
here but I'm too old to care, you pays your money you takes your choice, it's you living with it and you paying for it. Enjoy the Music all.

I have the Spirit Pros but not with me; I haven't tried them yet with the Plenue D.

I'll preface by saying I really like the PD. It works well, latest firmware update has fixed an issue I had with full 128GB SD cards, the battery life is incredible and it's a very convenient player to use. My impressions with the headphones/IEMs I have; it sounds 'polite'. It has enough power to reasonably drive my Fostex TH-X00 and will push my Westone ES-5s and Monster Miles Davis Tributes far louder than I'm comfortable with. The impressions below are based upon the ES5s. They're an easy load for either DAP. Source material was  HDTracks or DVD-A/DualDisc rips of 44/88/96-24 material although Swiss Movement was a needle drop done with quality equipment. 

The Plenue is not my first choice for audio quality. The thing just does not get up and move. My other DAP at present is an old beat to hell Ibasso DX100 running one of the Russian firmwares. On Paul Simon's "The Obvious Child" off Rhythm of the Saints, the Plenue D doesn't really get the 'snap' of the drums. It gets plenty loud and there's decent detail, but the dynamics and excitement are somewhat smoothed over. This is ameliorated to a degree by using BBE or some of the other sound presets but it never really 'wakes up'. On Les McCann & Eddie Harris' "Compared to What" off Swiss Movement, when Donald Dean starts wailing on that cowbell I hear it on the Plenue, but it's significantly more visceral through the DX100. On the Plenue I hear TokTokTokTok, on the DX100 I hear thwakTHWAKthwakTHWAKthwakTHWAK. 

That said? It's utterly inoffensive and does not sound bad in the least. It's not the most detailed, it's not the most rhythmic, and so on, but it sounds quite good and especially considering the form factor. I loathe using my phone as a DAP due to battery concerns and the Plenue fits the convenience role wonderfully. Small, easy to slip in a pocket, and an easy interface.. The interface is also a true pleasure to use after the DX100 especially. I haven't worn the battery out yet; it lasts longer than any DAP I've ever seen. I think you'll be happy with it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back