Cowon Plenue D
Apr 6, 2016 at 5:02 AM Post #2,131 of 4,949
hello guys.
does anyone here have both the PLENUE D and the LG v10.
i want to invest a dap, but  im thinking maybe either of the two would be best. :)
please help me decide. :)

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #2,132 of 4,949
This is untouched. I messed around with the EQ settings a bit on the J3, but honestly in that space I have no idea what I'm doing so I mostly listened to it on default. I though the J3 was slightly cold when I first got it, coming from a gen 5 iPod classic, but overtime I came to appreciate it's clinical nature (the Beyer DT250s are neutral to a fault as well). It's kind of a mental thing with wanting to hear recordings as they were intended, unless a mix is lacking in some way to begin with.

That said, I'm going to mess around with the eq a bit. Probably dig through this thread for some inspiration!

Apr 6, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #2,133 of 4,949
I'm also gonna add I've owned a bunch of Sony stuff in my day. 2 discmans, a mini-disc player, a dedicated MP3 player, an experiria z(1). Everytime without fail they have disappointed with volume output! Sexy hardware, but something to be mindful of.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:21 AM Post #2,134 of 4,949
I'm also gonna add I've owned a bunch of Sony stuff in my day. 2 discmans, a mini-disc player, a dedicated MP3 player, an experiria z(1). Everytime without fail they have disappointed with volume output! Sexy hardware, but something to be mindful of.

Are you UK/Europe based? Sony stick religiously to the EU volume cap. I brought all my Sony gear from Canada to get around that. I've had their CD and tape walkmans and a number of their MP3 players. The volume has always been easily man enough, my guess is that you've had volume cap'd units?!

When messing around with the D's EQ & DSP, hit the BBE stuff first, set all that up then play with the EQ. You'll end up using less EQ that way and it will probably sound cleaner. However it improves the sound so much I always end up pushing it 
tongue_smile.gif
basshead.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #2,135 of 4,949
I'm in Australia, so by default the EU restrictions might apply but I'm not so sure... I think they might just have less output than other devices. At least I tried to choose a different region when setting up, and with the Nwa (model I can't remember, but it was full bodied purple including over the screen) I applied a code to bring it in line with international players but it still wasn't up to scratch with the IPod classic or Plenue D. Those were the bad old days of Sonic Stage as well, which didn't help!

But yeah, I do like Sony's form factor but the players themselves seem better suited to low impedance headphones from my perspective.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #2,136 of 4,949
I'm in Australia, so by default the EU restrictions might apply but I'm not so sure... I think they might just have less output than other devices. At least I tried to choose a different region when setting up, and with the Nwa (model I can't remember, but it was full bodied purple including over the screen) I applied a code to bring it in line with international players but it still wasn't up to scratch with the IPod classic or Plenue D. Those were the bad old days of Sonic Stage as well, which didn't help!

But yeah, I do like Sony's form factor but the players themselves seem better suited to low impedance headphones from my perspective.

I've not used too many recent Sony players, but I did use the recent ZX2 is pretty poor: lots of hiss and weak, poor-measuring output that simply hasn't the resolution for dithered 16-bit audio.

Apr 6, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #2,137 of 4,949
Yeah, before the HTC M8 I had a Z1 and it was weak as piss. Truly inadequate if audio quality is on your agenda, but I gather they have improved somewhat and it depends on the phones you're using I suppose.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #2,138 of 4,949
Yeah, before the HTC M8 I had a Z1 and it was weak as piss. Truly inadequate if audio quality is on your agenda, but I gather they have improved somewhat and it depends on the phones you're using I suppose.

giphy.gif

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:24 AM Post #2,140 of 4,949

Yeah, perhaps a little. In almost every measurable metric I can throw at the two (dynamic range, noise, THD, IMD, stereo separation, loaded voltage loss, etc.) Plenue D is superior. 

[edit]

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:49 AM Post #2,141 of 4,949
  Not everything on paper is what it ends up in reality that we hear we all know that, and more is not ALWAYS better.

i second that as i prefer single/dual BA iems. Anything more may lack the coherency I desire.

Apr 6, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #2,142 of 4,949
i second that as i prefer single/dual BA iems. Anything more may lack the coherency I desire.
What sort of music you listening to ?

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:12 PM Post #2,143 of 4,949
What sort of music you listening to ?

vocals oriented tracks hence why my main vocals iems are FI-BA-SS and Heaven VI both from FAD. the mids of these iems are magical and alluring. Despite having demoed countless of iems, in my personal opinion, the mids of these aforementioned iems are the best for my ears and vocals are realistic.

Heaven VI:
Slightly mid forward, but with the most natural presentation i have heard to date, stunning mids. Listening to Diana Krall in FLAC you can hear every detail rendered perfectly, every nuance, but never clinical or harsh. It sounds as if she's singing right in front of you as her vocals are so naturally portrayed. They don't throw detail at you, but every pluck of a guitar string, every breath a singer takes is heard. I hear you guys saying FAD IEM's sound organic, i now know why, I can honestly say i've never had an IEM that sounds so natural and real in timbre, and the only headphones that have interested me for a long time because of their natural sound are the Hifiman HE-6. by @ostewart

One of the statements that FAD made about this earphone was that it is the first earphone to perfectly recreate human vocals. Now I have to say that this is a bit far but these present the midrange in a way that is so marvelous I do not care about their false statement. It is really lush, like really lush, I mean it defines lush. It has a good character while perhaps being slightly more generous in the upper mids, which really boosts this lushness. Timbre is beautiful, natural and well hitting, brass sounds really good especially. Vocals have just an amazing something to them that just is so attention capturing. No they are no perfectly recreated but they are very honest and have great emotion. These are not an earphone that gets easily congested but in the midrange I did feel just a few times everything was just struggling to keep up ever so slightly. by http://www.inearspace.co.uk/inearspace/Final_Audio_Design_Heaven_VI_Review.html

FI-BA-SS:
The midrange of the FI-BA-SS is even more interesting, reminding me of both the smooth-yet-detailed CK10 and the warmer, more liquid Ortofon e-Q5. The noticeable gain in bass impact and body over the CK10 makes the BA-SS sound warmer while retaining the crystal clarity of the Audio-Technicas.  The texture and detail levels of the FADs are very high and the resulting transparency is simply off the scale – even the CK10 sounds slightly veiled next to the BA-SS. No other universal-fit earphone I’ve heard gives quite the same sense of ‘nakedness’ to the sound – with the BA-SS it’s simply you and the track (note: I didn’t say ‘the music’ because the BA-SS is hugely unforgiving of source material; only with well-recorded, mastered, and ripped material will it be ‘you and the music’). Combined with the excellent balance of the earphones, this transparency has a strange result – the BA-SS certainly qualifies to be called a refined earphone but at the same time it’s quite aggressive and has a ‘raw’ edge to it. by @ljokerl

One thing that is shocking about the FI-BA-SS is in how raw and emotional it makes the music sound. I still remember sitting in a freezing hotel room somewhere in North East China during the midst of winter and it was minus 35 Celsius outside, and I was listening to Diana Krall wrapping that voice of hers around the lyrics of Walk On By on the FI-BA-SS off my brand new AK100 – the rawness of her emotions and the nuances of her voice really tugged at my heartstrings and sent shivers down my spine.  I swear that I could feel myself tearing up. But then again, it could just be cabin fever from being snowed in… by @Kiats

@Hi-Fi'er updated post!

Apr 6, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #2,145 of 4,949
  I love vocals the most too, for me they will make or break an IEM as much as treble if not well reporduced. Bass is not a huge factor as it's not always where all the main information is as much with vocals.

You have to try fad iems if u like vocals.they are sensational.earwerkz omega and ve5 come close

Users who are viewing this thread

Back