Cowon Plenue D
Apr 4, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #2,117 of 4,949
Hello all,

Do you think that the Cowon Plenue D is true upragde from an iPhone 5S ? I do not speak about autonomy, form factor etc..just sound aspect. And also, in mobility environment (subway, street..)
I have the feeling (just reading opinion)  that this Plenue D (in term of SQ) is just equal to an iPhone, or not worth the trouble of carrying another DAP besides the Smartphone.

What do you think ?

Thanks

which earphone are you using?
I think PD is better a lot(EQ on), compare iPhone5s

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #2,119 of 4,949
I found the plenue d to be slightly better than the iPhone 5s in terms of a bigger more detailed sound but the iPhone has a pace and drive lacking from the plenue IMHO. I tend to play rock music too loud to get that 'it rocks' feeling I get at lower volumes with the iPhone. Not good for my ears!

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #2,120 of 4,949
<I'm a statistician, i know some stuff about statistical significance, data samples... :D

I'm using Fischer Amps FA4.
I know that Plenue D is a dedicated DAP and it will be better than iPhone. But if only "slightly" better and if only EQ is the main characteristic , i will not buy it (i can't test it..)

Apr 5, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #2,121 of 4,949
  <I'm a statistician, i know some stuff about statistical significance, data samples... :D

I know that Plenue D is a dedicated DAP and it will be better than iPhone. But if only "slightly" better and if only EQ is the main characteristic , i will not buy it (i can't test it..)

Again, we're talking about personal anecdote. One person will find it 'slightly' better, while another will find it 'dramatically' better. Another may find it worse. That's how it is in this opinion-only world we've constructed that avoids facts at all costs and elevates a person's experience to the plane of religious transcendence. 

There ARE a bunch of facts: you can find measurements from a number of blogs, some using exactly the same equipment and the same output volume, etc.; you can compile this yourself and make informed decisions. Or, you can trust the word of people, their anecdotal adjectives, and motivational reasoning.

I love the PD, but I'd be lying if I said I found it 'better' in any way at normal listening levels. It gets phenomenal battery life. It is tiny. It supports a lot of file types, and it's got great EQ system buttressing up the entire experience. End of story. 

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #2,122 of 4,949

If you worry about PD sound quality, let's consider other high end DAP such as Cowon PS or AK380 or Venturecraft SounDroid VALOQ...etc

Apr 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #2,123 of 4,949
If you worry about PD sound quality, let's consider other high end DAP such as Cowon PS or AK380 or Venturecraft SounDroid VALOQ...etc
Yeah there are some AK380s on sale here in HF.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:00 PM Post #2,125 of 4,949

Again, we're talking about personal anecdote. One person will find it 'slightly' better, while another will find it 'dramatically' better. Another may find it worse. That's how it is in this opinion-only world we've constructed that avoids facts at all costs and elevates a person's experience to the plane of religious transcendence. 

There ARE a bunch of facts: you can find measurements from a number of blogs, some using exactly the same equipment and the same output volume, etc.; you can compile this yourself and make informed decisions. Or, you can trust the word of people, their anecdotal adjectives, and motivational reasoning.

I love the PD, but I'd be lying if I said I found it 'better' in any way at normal listening levels. It gets phenomenal battery life. It is tiny. It supports a lot of file types, and it's got great EQ system buttressing up the entire experience. End of story. 

@yomshetan  Ok here's my opinion, my cassette player sounds better LOL. Now make your own conclusions if you agree or disagree.

Apr 5, 2016 at 11:59 PM Post #2,126 of 4,949
  @yomshetan  Ok here's my opinion, my cassette player sounds better LOL. Now make your own conclusions if you agree or disagree.

it not a matter of opinions. we cannot disagree on the technical specifications that will make it sound better

Apr 6, 2016 at 1:00 AM Post #2,127 of 4,949
Apr 6, 2016 at 2:14 AM Post #2,128 of 4,949
I picked up a gold Plenue D on my recent trip to Japan, and I love it!

I got to see/feel most of the players out there (not listen, sadly) and honestly the form factor on the D is miles beyond pretty much anything else out there. Perfect size, weight, and shape.

Coming from a J3, this just feels and looks like a classier product. I was concerned I would have issues with a slow or unresponsive UI, but I've found it on par with the J3. Soundwise, it's just a little cleaner and more well defined than the J3 with my Beyer DT250 80ohms. The difference really comes from the extra power. I would typically listen to my J3 around 37-38/40. With the Plenue D, I get that volume at 80/100. This gives some extra room to move for albums that are mastered particularly softly that I could never do justice to on the J3.

For the guy above asking about an iphone 5s, I also have a HTC M8 that I was originally hoping would allow me to retire my J3. I found the sound quality wasn't even close! In reviews vs the iPhone 5s many preferred the M8 for audio quality, so this could give you some indication. Huge and easily noticeable quality difference in my case. For fun, I'm going to directly compare it to my friends iPhone 5s when I get a chance and I'll report back.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #2,129 of 4,949
I picked up a gold Plenue D on my recent trip to Japan, and I love it!

I got to see/feel most of the players out there (not listen, sadly) and honestly the form factor on the D is miles beyond pretty much anything else out there. Perfect size, weight, and shape.

Coming from a J3, this just feels and looks like a classier product. I was concerned I would have issues with a slow or unresponsive UI, but I've found it on par with the J3. Soundwise, it's just a little cleaner and more well defined than the J3 with my Beyer DT250 80ohms. The difference really comes from the extra power. I would typically listen to my J3 around 37-38/40. With the Plenue D, I get that volume at 80/100. This gives some extra room to move for albums that are mastered particularly softly that I could never do justice to on the J3.

For the guy above asking about an iphone 5s, I also have a HTC M8 that I was originally hoping would allow me to retire my J3. I found the sound quality wasn't even close! In reviews vs the iPhone 5s many preferred the M8 for audio quality, so this could give you some indication. Huge and easily noticeable quality difference in my case. For fun, I'm going to directly compare it to my friends iPhone 5s when I get a chance and I'll report back.

Hi, as you mentioned "a little cleaner and more well defined" - do you use any EQ, BBE etc. or is that your feeling on the normal sound settings (untouched by any DSP)? Thanks :)

Apr 6, 2016 at 5:00 AM Post #2,130 of 4,949
The great thing about Cowon is the DSP and EQ. I can get any of my IEMs to sound great from it by tinkering with Jeffect. Yes I know we shouldn't have to but to my ears that is the best sound. Sony isn't bad with it's clearbass and other stuff but Cowon takes the crown. It's kinda a chameleon, it can sound great through my car stereo, home system or any IEM I have. Also battery life of the D is a clear winner. Anyone remember the MobiBlu B153? 153hrs of battery life! I had 3 of them over time, great player for the time with SRS Wow DSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back