Cowon Plenue D
Mar 23, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #1,921 of 4,949
  I am new to this thread. I am interested in this player due to the quality. Is it better than an Ipod classic and Ipod touch sound wise? Also I read it can take a 128GB card? How would this player face off to a Fiio or XBasso or a XDuoo x3?

Not sure about the others you mentioned, but I moved from my iPod Classic 160GB (with C&C BK amp) to the PD pretty quickly. Besides being easier to carry, the Cowon Jetaudio options are so nice, without degrading the sound. You can really get the most out of any of your phones in my view. I have the Thinksound On1's right now plugged into the PD and the sound is balanced, fantastic. Using the BBE Headlphone 2 setting. Perfect for this specific phone. You can also do manual EQ controls but I think the presets are very good. And the battery life is what it is. I have a 128GB card in it with 60 GB used up so far (plus the 32 onboard is filled), so 90GB total so far.

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #1,922 of 4,949
  I am new to this thread. I am interested in this player due to the quality. Is it better than an Ipod classic and Ipod touch sound wise? Also I read it can take a 128GB card? How would this player face off to a Fiio or XBasso or a XDuoo x3?

Better than the X3ii soundwise IMHO

Mar 23, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #1,923 of 4,949
  Better than the X3ii soundwise IMHO

While there is no accounting for personal preference, the two measure pretty comparably, the X3ii eking out better performance in stereo separation and distortion, the Plenue D eking out better performance in a couple of areas. SQ wise, they are even. How you interpret that quality is up to you.

Mar 23, 2016 at 10:24 PM Post #1,924 of 4,949

While there is no accounting for personal preference, the two measure pretty comparably, the X3ii eking out better performance in stereo separation and distortion, the Plenue D eking out better performance in a couple of areas. SQ wise, they are even. How you interpret that quality is up to you.

Plus the X3ii with unefficient EQ and the Plenue D with super efficient EQ + BBE.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:03 AM Post #1,926 of 4,949

Hence the words IMHO.

I trust my own ears more than any test. A lot of my experience with the Plenue D comes down to synergy. It pairs beautifully with the MF200 for me. Synergy between equipment and then the end user is more important to me than any tests.

Tests have a place, it can be a useful guide but some of the rhetoric around testing is amusing to me. The Plenue D gives me the same feeling I used to have playing vinyl as a child and no test can measure that.

It's far from perfect but hell, I like it.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #1,927 of 4,949
I agree with taffy2207 The sound of D with BBE+SQ better, than Fiio X3. I listened and compared with Xduuo X3 and Fiio X5 when i bought my Cowon D.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:17 AM Post #1,929 of 4,949
Hence the words IMHO.

I trust my own ears more than any test. A lot of my experience with the Plenue D comes down to synergy. It pairs beautifully with the MF200 for me. Synergy between equipment and then the end user is more important to me than any tests.

Tests have a place, it can be a useful guide but some of the rhetoric around testing is amusing. The Plenue D gives me the same feeling I used to have playing vinyl as a child and no test can measure that.

It's far from perfect but hell, I like it.

I agree with Synergy... I can't seems to break the V-moda XS with Silver Dragon cable + X5II combo.

I tried different players with XS and Headphones with X5II like Audeze Sine... I still like this combo.

The sound produced just hits your heart more or give you this special nostalgic or nice feeling.

I felt there's sure a sweet spot for every one have for sound, just need the right combo.

Mar 24, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #1,930 of 4,949
I agree with Synergy... I can't seems to break the V-moda XS with Silver Dragon cable + X5II combo.

I tried different players with XS and Headphones with X5II like Audeze Sine... I still like this combo.

The sound produced just hits your heart more or give you this special nostalgic or nice feeling.

I felt there's sure a sweet spot for every one have for sound, just need the right combo.

Then I'd definitely stick with the set up you have. I'm a firm believer in synergy and being happy with what you have. You may search for something else as your hearing or tastes change over time but I always trust my ears. But for now it suits you, stick with it.

I've never been one for jumping on hype trains. The truth is, if it wasn't for the UI, I'd still be using and loving the Colorfly C3.

I haven't achieved the same sense of synergy with my AKG550 yet, I think I may have to try my Fiio amp to get the best out of those, or play around with the EQ.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #1,931 of 4,949
I had the money prepared to purchase this player today, was heading instore to demo it.

I've owned J3, S9, C2, D2+, in the past. I didn't make the store but will head over after Easter break.

Is the output impedance known?

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #1,932 of 4,949
  I had the money prepared to purchase this player today, was heading instore to demo it.

I've owned J3, S9, C2, D2+, in the past. I didn't make the store but will head over after Easter break.

Is the output impedance known?

0.5Ω from the Plenue D spec page:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUED/product_page_4.php

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:14 AM Post #1,933 of 4,949

0.5Ω from the Plenue D spec page:
http://www.cowonglobal.com/product_wide/PLENUED/product_page_4.php

Thank you, dear Sir. Cowon has made me proud.

Any thought (without me searching) how the D might compare to an iBasso DX90?

Anyone's welcome to chime in on this.. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back