Cowon J3 - Personal User EQ Settings
Sep 28, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #136 of 221

Quote:
Ok

new , improved ,and most important SUBTLE eq settings

This works great with my  J3/RE-262 pairing - rememeber to tweak a bit to find your preferred flavour , i have all 4 user eqs orbiting around the following base settings - give or take 1

BBE : 8
MP Enhance : ON
SE : 3-4

LOWS : 0/-1
MID-LOWS : 0/-1
MIDS : +2,3
MID-HIGHS :+2,3
HIGHS:+2,3

great sound at last - i am finally sold on my 262 - step away 252
jecklinsmile.gif

I have the RE-262 also with a j3. I'm quite dissappointed with the sound despite good reviews on it. I will try this and see if sounds good to my ears. One question though what were they adjust to normal, wide, narrow?

Sep 28, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #137 of 221

Quote:
I have the RE-262 also with a j3. I'm quite dissappointed with the sound despite good reviews on it. I will try this and see if sounds good to my ears. One question though what were they adjust to normal, wide, narrow?

Yes, the J3 with NO EQ does sound about as flat as many other players.  But there are several types of EQ settings in the J3, and by themselves, the steps are very subtle and clean so that as you add different options together (EQ + BBE + Mach3Bass + Stereo Width, etc, etc), you can create an extremely dynamic sound. 

In the EQ section, the Wide/Normal/Narrow means how much of the selected Hz/KHz band you are adjusting bleeds into the surrounding Hz/KHz regions.  For example, in the bass region, if you select freq of 80Hz and select width of Narrow, then only 80Hz will be adjusted up/down; Normal will adjust probably (guessing here) then about 75-85Hz (sine curve will be softer); and Wide will affect maybe 65-95 Hz (sine curve is even softer).  Again, I'm guessing at the ranges affected, but you get the idea.

Bottom line, no one can tell you what is the "right" or "wrong" setting -- it all depends on your ears/brain and the earphones you are using.  My Ety ER-4P is a flat earphone that easily goes very bright.  So I EQ in some bass, keep the treble fairly flat, bump up the BBE some, and bump up the Mach3Bass to about 6 or so.  That makes my ER-4P sound pretty bassy, good deep bass.  And the best part is that even if you go toward extreme settings, the J3 does not distort the sound at all -- super clean!

Sep 28, 2011 at 11:03 AM Post #138 of 221

Quote:

Yes, the J3 with NO EQ does sound about as flat as many other players.  But there are several types of EQ settings in the J3, and by themselves, the steps are very subtle and clean so that as you add different options together (EQ + BBE + Mach3Bass + Stereo Width, etc, etc), you can create an extremely dynamic sound. 

In the EQ section, the Wide/Normal/Narrow means how much of the selected Hz/KHz band you are adjusting bleeds into the surrounding Hz/KHz regions.  For example, in the bass region, if you select freq of 80Hz and select width of Narrow, then only 80Hz will be adjusted up/down; Normal will adjust probably (guessing here) then about 75-85Hz (sine curve will be softer); and Wide will affect maybe 65-95 Hz (sine curve is even softer).  Again, I'm guessing at the ranges affected, but you get the idea.

Bottom line, no one can tell you what is the "right" or "wrong" setting -- it all depends on your ears/brain and the earphones you are using.  My Ety ER-4P is a flat earphone that easily goes very bright.  So I EQ in some bass, keep the treble fairly flat, bump up the BBE some, and bump up the Mach3Bass to about 6 or so.  That makes my ER-4P sound pretty bassy, good deep bass.  And the best part is that even if you go toward extreme settings, the J3 does not distort the sound at all -- super clean!

Thanks for the advice. Actually i'm trying different sounds right now with my e-q7 and the sound is near perfection to my ears. Although sometimes the drums and guitar in songs are a tiny bit too loud and treble can still be a bit sibilant. But still work in progress
etysmile.gif

Heres what i got so far.

175 Hz, Wide +5 
300 Hz, Wide +3
1.1 Hz, Wide +2
4.1 Hz Wide -1
13 Hz Wide -2

BBE-8
Mach3Bass-3
3D Surround-3
MP Enhance-ON
Stereo Enhance-3

I listen to a lot of female vocals. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:26 AM Post #139 of 221
no matter what i do with bbe, my 5 year old sony a808 is a whole neck ahead the cowon j3 in terms of midrange and forward sounding vocals on the m50.

my music has to have a certain impact before i deem it enjoyable, and the j3 struggles at sub 30 volume levels while my sony does it easily at above 20. if anything, I think the cowon needs to be hooked up to an external amp, which is sorta contradictory to all the reviews I've read so far...

i'll wait for my tf10+1 to arrive and give the cowon j3 another whirl before I put the whole lot up for sale.

Sep 30, 2011 at 2:34 PM Post #140 of 221

I'm using these settings with TF10 and find it sounds comfortable and enjoyable for most of my music, like pop, rock, and instruments.
80Hz: 0 (any boost here sounds kinda warm for my taste, I just let the Mach3bass to do all the bsss boost)
220Hz : -1 wide (less boxy)
1.4kHz : 0
3.0/4.1kHz : +1 wide (there's a wide dip on the TF10' s FR graph from 2.5k~5.5kHz)
13kHz : +2 wide (little boost bring out more treble without sounding harsh)
BBE: 10 (really love the fun sound of BBE)
Mach3Bass: 5 (kinda fixed the sub bass roll-off of both J3 and TF10)
3D: 1
MPE: on
SE: 3
http://cdn.head-fi.org/3/37/37d171ab_UETripleFi10proFrequencychart.jpeg

Oct 10, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #142 of 221
for anyone with a TF10x4 quad driver custom, try this settings. It's a rather warm sound sig, but very enjoyable with a bias to vocals:

Best used at volume 21-24, any higher would make your ears bleed.

135khz, Lv7, Normal
220khz, Lv5, Normal
1.4khz, Lv6, Wide
4.1khz, Lv6, Wide
11.7khz, Lv5, Normal

BBE off
Mach3Bass off
3D Surround off
MP Enhance on

Stereo Enhance 1
Reverb off

If anyone can improve on the above and make vocals more forward, please share!

Oct 17, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #144 of 221
after using my J3 with eq for 2 weeks, i plug in a decent amp (ibasso t3), set the volume on max and turned all EQ settings off. Sound is unbeatable. Perhaps I should've invested in a dap with a line out instead :p.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #145 of 221
I recently started using the J3 with a portable headphone amp too (Stepdance) and have to agree, the J3 does sound a lot better, but something like the Sflo2 with a dedicated line out will offer a much more powerful combo.

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #146 of 221
New Year thread resurrection time! It's not as if the J3 is out of the league, still one of the best (if not the best) players out there. My settings look completely extreme compared to most people's settings here, maybe I have a really unique taste?

EQ with Sennheiser IE7's (no amp):
80hz - 8
220hz - 3
1.1khz - 1
4.1khz - 5/6/7/8
11.7khz - 5/6/7/8

Reason I listed 4 different settings there is because I have various songs that sound better with their trebles/highs louder or quieter (am I the only one who does this?). Most of the time I use 7/7 or 8/8 for 4.1khz/11.7khz.

BBE - 10
Mach3 - 1
3D - Off
MP Enh. - On
Stereo Enh. - 6
Reverb - Off

I've found Mach3Bass artificial sounding and very "boomy" as you increase it, not the kind of tight bass I'm after. Turning up the 80hz EQ sounds far better than boosting Mach3 to my ears.

Feb 8, 2012 at 6:20 PM Post #148 of 221
I'm pretty sure the J3 has a default option or something. I don't have it next to me atm. (It might be called 'normal' or something)

Feb 9, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #149 of 221
One of my 4 User EQ settings has remained unchanged except to adjust the levels.  The default for the User EQ bars is:
80Hz Normal; 300Hz Normal; 1.1KHz Normal; 3.0KHz Wide; 11.7KHz Wide

Users who are viewing this thread

Back