Cowon J3 - Personal User EQ Settings
Mar 16, 2012 at 1:55 AM Post #152 of 221
Alright, I just got my J3 a couple of days ago and the EQ settings can make an amazing difference to the overall sound. Sensational.

I'm using Beyer DT250s... anyone have some EQ advice?

I quite like the BBE Headphone 3 setting, but find it a little too bassy.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Mar 16, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #153 of 221

Quote:
Alright, I just got my J3 a couple of days ago and the EQ settings can make an amazing difference to the overall sound. Sensational.

Tinker with it until it sounds good.
tongue_smile.gif

Jokes aside, everyone's ears are different...you really can't put much stock in what sounds good to others, because their settings might sound bad to you.

Mar 19, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #154 of 221
I just recently purchased cowon j3 + Victor JVC FXT90 so any body who can post EQ setting for  cowon j3 using JVC FXT90
I am not really familiar with EQ setting of J3 so any body who has custom presets plz share so i can get best out of my portable combo.
basshead.gif

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #155 of 221
Quote:
I just recently purchased cowon j3 + Victor JVC FXT90 so any body who can post EQ setting for  cowon j3 using JVC FXT90
I am not really familiar with EQ setting of J3 so any body who has custom presets plz share so i can get best out of my portable combo.
basshead.gif

Hate to say it, but nobody can really tell you how YOU should set your EQ settings.  We can tell what the different settings do, but you should just play with them yourself and see what they do.

There are 4 user defined EQ settings that let you customize everything -- all the named EQ presets don't tell you what the settings are, nor let you change them.  So start with User 1, and on the EQ tab, put every thing at flat in the middle.  Then switch to the BBE tab and bump up each category by 3-4 bumps to see what each one does to the sound.

Some guides:
BBE+ tab:
- BBE:  from 4 to 8, depending on headphone; the ER-4P sounds harsh with high value;
- Mach3Bass (sub-Bass, 40-80hz):  from 2 to 8, depending on headphone; MS-1i doesn't need too much bass, ER-4P does;
- 3D Surround: Off - sound fake to me
- MP Enhance:  On - helps compensate for MP3 compression, clarifying the sound.

SE tab:
- Stereo Enhance:  about 2 or 3 for all headphones, too much separates the L/R channels and sounds too spacey
- Reverb:  Off

EQ:
- to taste, depending on headphone - each bar can be set to different frequencies and then the values can affect that frequency region either "Narrow"ly, "Normal"ly, or "Wide"ly.  Narrow is a tight peak/dip; Wide is a rounded curve peak/dip.

Hope this helps.

Mar 19, 2012 at 4:53 PM Post #156 of 221
Quote:

The Mach3Bass setting is what you are referring to, I assume.  That is a sub-Bass, somewhere in the 40-80 hz region.  If 3 is too much then set it back down to 1 or 2, and then check the EQ section to make sure you don't have the far left (80hz, or other if you changed the region affected) bar set too high. 

Mar 23, 2012 at 6:28 AM Post #157 of 221

Quote:
basshead.gif

I have the same combo. I'm using this EQ
80Hz +1 Normal
220 Hz +0 Narrow
650 Hz +0 Narrow
4.1 kHz +1 Wide
11.7 kHZ +2 Wide

BBE 6
Mach3bass 5
3D off
MP on
SE off

Giva it a try and tell me how do you think about it ^^

Mar 25, 2012 at 3:20 PM Post #158 of 221

Quote:
I have the same combo. I'm using this EQ
80Hz +1 Normal
220 Hz +0 Narrow
650 Hz +0 Narrow
4.1 kHz +1 Wide
11.7 kHZ +2 Wide

BBE 6
Mach3bass 5
3D off
MP on
SE off

Giva it a try and tell me how do you think about it ^^

Its a good one mate where did  u get this setting ?
mids (vocal) are little bit laid back but that the nature of this IEM .
thanks mate.

Apr 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #160 of 221
Hi to all!

MY JETEFFECT EQ SETTINGS ARE:

EARPHONES: Creative EP 630 ECO
PLAYER: COWON J3
LOUDNESS: 25 (Device Interface Setting, Language: English, Non-Europe, USA)

:::EQ:::
80 Hz 12 wide
220 Hz 7 wide
1.4 kHz 4 wide
3.0 kHz 5 wide
11.7 kHz 12 wide [6.9 kHz to enhance vocal clarity]

:::BBE+:::
BBE 10
Mach3Bass 10
3D Surround 1
MP Enhance on

:::SE:::
Stereo Enhance 1 [AUDIOBOOKS OFF]
Reverb 4 [AUDIOBOOKS OFF]

Check it out & Enjoy!

Holger

Apr 4, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #161 of 221
^ Wow, Holger -- that's using the JetEffect to the max!  I assume with your EQ 80Hz at 12 and your MachBass at 10 using the EP 630, you must really like some teeth rattling bass!  Can the EP 630 handle that much bass without distorting?  Just curious.

Apr 8, 2012 at 5:39 PM Post #163 of 221
Any good eq setting that compliments my GR07? i want something not too agressive.. little boost in the bass little reduction in the treble harsh and and nice transperency, instrument seperation and surround feeling.. Pretty much something between BBE viva and normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back