Couple of questions about the T1's and HD800's
Aug 2, 2011 at 9:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Jmatt110

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

Just got a pair of T1's a few days ago, upgraded from my HD555's, and they sound amazing. Except for one thing; my ears are too big. This was the very first thing I noticed when I put them on, that the size & shape of the 555 ear cups were much more comfortable than the T1's. The tips & lobes of my ears rub against the pads which gets very irritating and uncomfortable very quickly.

Here's my questions:
1. Is it possible to get bigger earpads for my T1's that wont rub on my ears?
2. I can return & swap them for HD800's for a couple hundred $ more (which I don't mind paying at all), but I want to make sure that the earcups are going to be at least the same 'height' as the 555's. Can anyone comment on how large the pads are on the HD800's compared to the T1's?

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM Post #2 of 19
Here's when I tested both:

T1 had enough room, meaning they had enough room to keep my ear off them while going around my ear. Maybe your not wearing them correctly or just complaining TOO much

The HD800 did the same above, but my ear started to rub against the driver port and after a while got irritated from listening

My choice was the T1 here. The HD800 is comfortable, but not to the T1's specs.

OP, I plead you to just DEAL with it, alright. We all have little problems with our headphones and we all deal with them

Here's my problem:
T50RP: Custom pads rub against side of ears, padding too thick (need to change), sweaty, heavy, lop sided to left and right
HD598: Rubs outside of ear like HD800 did, the velour pads ear away at my hair and itch me badly, the top is too hard, the frame doesn't clap hard enough. Regardless, I wear them 8 hours a day!
MDR-V6: Pad contacts ear and after a while, my ear hurts. Despite this, I use them in the studio
Grado: The custom pad Works into my ear like a spike.
IEM's in general makes my ears hurt like He!!

OP, please deal with it because you'll just find something else to complain about with the next can. No can is perfect.

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 19
OP, I plead you to just DEAL with it, alright. We all have little problems with our headphones and we all deal with them

What good is a headphone if it irritates you to wear them?

Aug 2, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #4 of 19
hd800 ear cavity is more elongated.
it's worth a shot...  and, i promise, no dumbo jokes... 
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 19

Quote:
What good is a headphone if it irritates you to wear them?

SOUND

face it, your headphones irritate you and you're just used to it by now

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #6 of 19
Never owned a pair of Denons? 
biggrin.gif
 Jk but they're pretty comfortable. But OP I agree with BotByte. I really think you will get used to it after a week or two.

Quote:
SOUND

face it, your headphones irritate you and you're just used to it by now

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:20 PM Post #8 of 19

Quote:
Never owned a pair of Denons? 
biggrin.gif
 Jk but they're pretty comfortable. But OP I agree with BotByte. I really think you will get used to it after a week or two.

Negative if they don't fit, they don't fit. Their not a shoe or a pair of hot pants lol jk. but really their not going to stretch out.

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #10 of 19

Quote:
T1 had enough room, meaning they had enough room to keep my ear off them while going around my ear. Maybe your not wearing them correctly or just complaining TOO much

I'm sorry my ears aren't the exact same shape as yours, I'll try and fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BotByte

OP, please deal with it because you'll just find something else to complain about with the next can. No can is perfect.

My 555's felt perfect to me, stop telling me to 'deal with it'.

Quote:
Super MANSKITO

Hd 800 is much bigger then the T1 and feels like heaven.

Thanks Super. Could please possibly provide some measurements of the dimensions of the pads?

Aug 2, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #11 of 19

Quote:
Their not a shoe or a pair of hot pants lol jk.

LOL! True, but I thought I would never get used to Ultrasones, they're not bad now though. People with Grados have also proven that with strong determination the body can withstand more amounts of pain than you think lol.

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:04 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:
I'm sorry my ears aren't the exact same shape as yours, I'll try and fix that.

My 555's felt perfect to me, stop telling me to 'deal with it'.

Thanks Super. Could please possibly provide some measurements of the dimensions of the pads?

No I just put them on at a the 2010 Carolina Canfest.   I went in there thinking that I would hear diminishing returns and i listened to the Grado PS 1000, T1,Sr007, and the HD 800 all of them sounded leaps and bounds better then my current HD 650s.   With the HD 800s being my favorite in both sound and comfort.  

The PS 1000 ear pads felt like sand paper, the T1 and the stax sr-007 wear to small for me, I have a big dinosaur head at 24 inchs around the HD -800s felt great they didn't come close to touching my ears or the ears of friend (he has a pin head) or my grand pa and my grandpa has super big old people ears.  The HD-800s clearly have more R+D time put into the ergonomics then any other high end head phone. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:13 PM Post #13 of 19
The HD800 is probably one of the most comfortable headphones I've tried. As for sound quality, that's a matter of preference. I just happen to prefer the HD800 over the T1. YMMV

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:31 PM Post #14 of 19
I've never tried the T1s, but I'll throw in a "me too" on the HD800s being unbelievably comfortable (and I'm pretty sure the ear-cup is bigger than on the 555/595s, so they should fit you just fine). Before I bought the HD800s, I had HD280s, HD515s, and AKG's K271 and K702; the HD800s are in another league when it comes to comfort, let alone sound quality.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #15 of 19
I only had the T1 on for awhile at CanJam, but found them comfortable. About the same as a DT880, which I also find very comfortable.

But the HD-800 feels like it has huge cups. I don't know the measurements (I'm not at home) but they're among the largest - if not the largest - cups I've experienced.

Of course, you could just go for a pair of Floats. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back