Cost-no-object cans
Jan 14, 2011 at 10:27 PM Post #16 of 20
First of all, to the guy that mentioned Singlepower, What? Did you ever read any of the threads here about Singlepower? Just to summarize, DO NOT buy a SInglepower amp, erase that from your mind. 

Second, sorry to tell you, the high-end electrostats will slaughter any dynamic out there. The HD800, PS1000, Edition 8, T1, etc can not compete with an electrostatic transducer. The high end orthos are better, but if you want the absolute best headphones, you need Stax or Sennheiser electrostats. And you will need a super large, super expensive amp to drive them. Have fun with that. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #18 of 20

Then why did you sell your SR-303 and SR-507?

First of all, to the guy that mentioned Singlepower, What? Did you ever read any of the threads here about Singlepower? Just to summarize, DO NOT buy a SInglepower amp, erase that from your mind. 

Second, sorry to tell you, the high-end electrostats will slaughter any dynamic out there. The HD800, PS1000, Edition 8, T1, etc can not compete with an electrostatic transducer. The high end orthos are better, but if you want the absolute best headphones, you need Stax or Sennheiser electrostats. And you will need a super large, super expensive amp to drive them. Have fun with that. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 12:41 AM Post #19 of 20

Quote:

Now come on, there are plenty of educated and well-informed users who prefer high-end dynamics to electrostats. I personally prefer the O2 Mk1 to any dynamic around, but that's just my taste, and I do not think they are technically superior to a few of the top-tier dynamics.

Jan 28, 2011 at 7:58 PM Post #20 of 20
Short of the top tier stats, the HiFiMan HE-6 gives a surprising account of itself with a quality speaker amp. If you have a sweet tube amp in mothballs you're ahead as these need monitor type power.

Singlepower screwed over and stole (huge amounts) from many in our community. They were at one time considered reference in headphoneland. Some would still consider them reference in performance. Problem is he wasn't worth a crap as a person and put out some dangerous amps with underspec'ed parts, poor building skills and engineering hazards. Not all Singlepower products were made this way but our community chooses to protect our members by not discussing their product.

And if you own a good SP amp, shut up, eat the cost and throw it away..........not. By the way, anybody feel so badly about owning their SP amp that they just have to get it out of the house, I'll pay shipping to receive it, working or not. I'll gut the thing and scrap it so no one else will be killed.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back