Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jul 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM Post #2,401 of 5,310
Phil got back to me the other day about a few questions that I had. I'm going to post the questions/answers here. Maybe it will save him having to answer a few similar questions.

Questions:
1. I noticed the new Paua faceplate colors on your Facebook page, but they are not yet available in the ordering options. Can I choose those?
(eg. Green/Aqua)

2. Are you able to do the Paua faceplates on the medium and micro molds, or only on the large?

3. Is there a rough estimate for when the micro models be returning?

4. Finally, I’ve been looking at your BA3 and HY3 and have read their descriptions and also searched forums such as Head-Fi for additional information, but have been unable to find any. I would greatly appreciate any additional contrast and details between the two models.

Answers:

1. We will add the other colour paua shells to the shop during this week.

2. We can do the paua shells on the other sizes.

3. A rough estimate is Sep/Oct, the reason for this is we are working on some prototype detachable cables for the micros shells, they are different to the regular cables due to the size of the micro shells.

4. Both the BA3 and HY3 are designed with some enhanced bass, the HY3 can be configured with regular or extra bass. The BA3 is quite a traditional sounding monitor for 3 balanced armatures, it was something developed for people who like this traditional sound. The HY3 is quite unique in it using a dynamic driver for the lows and it gives a little more warmth to the sound.

Jul 30, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #2,402 of 5,310
Nice one :)

I personally can attest to the problems with the wire on the micro shells.  Shame as the design themselves is great.

Jul 30, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #2,403 of 5,310
Hi,

Noob here. And currently looking at my first CIEM options.

I have been reading the posts from these thread, but I am starting to get confused. (Well, all are personal opinions so not that it can be helped. Plus the changes to BA4 is confusing in its own way :D )

So i am user which prefer balanced music, slightly clinging towards clarity.

If i have to give an example of what i might like, it think it will be a TF10 but with less bass or a more entry level example would be sennheiser cx500, i think. 
oh, but to clarify, I do not dislike bass it's just that TF10 seems to have too much "noise" which i can only think of as disperse bass, not sure what is the true title for it.. I like my musics to have the punch when it comes. 

I was recommended BA2 and BA4(Assuming the fun version) by Phil.

My current rig is a Sandisk Clip+(Rockboxed just yesterday) and thinksound ms01 which i find the clarity nice but the "punch" feeling is seriously lacking.

What do you guys think? Asking for more opinions while waiting for more answers from Phil.

Thanks.

It sucks when such good products doesn't have test products in Singapore.
No offence (Just blaming my own luck, not that I hate my country of course :p )

Jul 31, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #2,404 of 5,310
Quote:
Hi,

Noob here. And currently looking at my first CIEM options.

I have been reading the posts from these thread, but I am starting to get confused. (Well, all are personal opinions so not that it can be helped. Plus the changes to BA4 is confusing in its own way :D )

So i am user which prefer balanced music, slightly clinging towards clarity.

If i have to give an example of what i might like, it think it will be a TF10 but with less bass or a more entry level example would be sennheiser cx500, i think. 
oh, but to clarify, I do not dislike bass it's just that TF10 seems to have too much "noise" which i can only think of as disperse bass, not sure what is the true title for it.. I like my musics to have the punch when it comes. 

I was recommended BA2 and BA4(Assuming the fun version) by Phil.

My current rig is a Sandisk Clip+(Rockboxed just yesterday) and thinksound ms01 which i find the clarity nice but the "punch" feeling is seriously lacking.

What do you guys think? Asking for more opinions while waiting for more answers from Phil.

Thanks.

It sucks when such good products doesn't have test products in Singapore.
No offence (Just blaming my own luck, not that I hate my country of course :p )

I would also go for BA4 Fun version, not reference. You might find Reference slightly bass light. Hope this helps.

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #2,405 of 5,310
Quote:
I would also go for BA4 Fun version, not reference. You might find Reference slightly bass light. Hope this helps.

Can I somehow interpret that you are saying BA4 fun is slightly less bassy than TF10 but still bassy enough with the highs and mids clear?
Is it also punchy?

Sorry for all the questions. Of course, I also do note that all such comments are only advices and I can only take with a pinch of salt but having a bit more information(even biased) makes one feel safer :p

I appreciate all of your inputs.

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #2,406 of 5,310
Quote:

Can I somehow interpret that you are saying BA4 fun is slightly less bassy than TF10 but still bassy enough with the highs and mids clear?
Is it also punchy?

Sorry for all the questions. Of course, I also do note that all such comments are only advices and I can only take with a pinch of salt but having a bit more information(even biased) makes one feel safer :p

I appreciate all of your inputs.

For me, TF10 was terrible, it was sounding like a joke I don't know how people like it, also the fit is incredibly bad too. BA4 series, both R and F have a neutral nice sound, Fun version has slightly more bass emphasis so it doesn't go like ruler flat FR. Still enjoyable with nice neutral sounding I would say. Some people say flat FR boring (not me, definitely I love it, UE Reference Monitor for example), so if you think that reference can be boring, I think BA4 F can give you all you want.

In here Project86 owns them both, I hope he can answer your questions better, he is extremely helpful person and many times he spent so much time on my questions. Also at innerfidelity totl ciem article, you can find BA4 Reference versions review. It has a very nice review but both Project86 and the maker of the ciem admit, they are not for everyone, that's why there is also BA4 Fun version too.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:10 AM Post #2,407 of 5,310
Yep. I saw the article. 

Well, if i truly like TF10, i believe i would have bought that and ask for a reshell instead. :p

I was just giving an example so as people who have used or know the specs of the ciem will be able to give me more accurate advices.

Plus my description of sound is reaching realms of "inconceivable". (-_-") 

I do know my target is strictly not the reference version.

But I do need to know how would people think of the punchy bass(is that what you call it?) of BA4F.
Recommended by Phil, I do know that BA4F isn't as bassy as TF10 but from your description, the bass from BA4F might just be slightly more than BA4R, which is not something that I want either.

But indeed, I do like some songs with the flat signature, but not all.

Apologies. This might be my first CIEM so I am hoping to get my facts right before choosing.

Jul 31, 2013 at 7:34 AM Post #2,408 of 5,310
Quote:
Yep. I saw the article. 

Well, if i truly like TF10, i believe i would have bought that and ask for a reshell instead. :p

I was just giving an example so as people who have used or know the specs of the ciem will be able to give me more accurate advices.

Plus my description of sound is reaching realms of "inconceivable". (-_-") 

I do know my target is strictly not the reference version.

But I do need to know how would people think of the punchy bass(is that what you call it?) of BA4F.
Recommended by Phil, I do know that BA4F isn't as bassy as TF10 but from your description, the bass from BA4F might just be slightly more than BA4R, which is not something that I want either.

But indeed, I do like some songs with the flat signature, but not all.

Apologies. This might be my first CIEM so I am hoping to get my facts right before choosing.

I understand you, I took a huge searching time before my first ciem purchase too.

Well in that case, I would suggest you to talk with project86, since he has them both and many many other c/iems, I think he can do the best help to you, instead of me.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #2,409 of 5,310
I'd characterize the fun version of the BA4 as being somewhat "punchy" but not overdone. For me, the biggest difference between the two BA4 models is how I use them. On a Sansa Clip or Fuze or something similar, the original will be very flat and bass light, while the fun version is roughly neutral with some decent kick to it. Switch to a nice amp, either portable or desktop, and the original model becomes a lot more neutral, with some definite kick to it. And on the better amp, the fun version does become downright fun, with a bottom end that is definitely north of neutral (but not extremely so). 

Both models are still very accurate and clear, so neither is ideal for low bitrate mp3 or terrible recordings. 

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #2,410 of 5,310
Quote:
I'd characterize the fun version of the BA4 as being somewhat "punchy" but not overdone. For me, the biggest difference between the two BA4 models is how I use them. On a Sansa Clip or Fuze or something similar, the original will be very flat and bass light, while the fun version is roughly neutral with some decent kick to it. Switch to a nice amp, either portable or desktop, and the original model becomes a lot more neutral, with some definite kick to it. And on the better amp, the fun version does become downright fun, with a bottom end that is definitely north of neutral (but not extremely so). 

Both models are still very accurate and clear, so neither is ideal for low bitrate mp3 or terrible recordings. 

What amp would you recommend if BA4 fun version does't seems or just slightly isn't enough for me?

I currently have a hippo box+ and is using a Sansa Clip+. I dun really see the need of the advanced functions for an amp. 

And also project86, I wish to hear your comparisons of BA4F vs TF10 as this is the only few high end I believe most people would have listen to and I have listen to before.
If you have already posted it before, please do inform me, while I would be glad if you could tell me the link for that page.

Thanks.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #2,411 of 5,310
Hi everyone.. Im also considering the BA4 as my first CIEM.. Ive always been big on bass, till i got the UE900, and now ive come to enjoy slightly less bass with more clarity... 
So i was just wondering if someone here owns the BA4 or the BA4(fun sounding) and the UE900? Im really not sure which one to get.. if the BA4(reference) has bass similar to that of the UE900, ill go for that.. if it has less, i might have to get the fun sounding and just EQ a little of the bass away...
thanks in advance :)

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #2,412 of 5,310
From Phil: Cable situation under control now, we have stock of regular cables now and production of the Cosmic Ears cables has started. I have not given up on the mic/remote cable, I just need to go back to the drawing board after poor quality. Translucent stock cables are available, they have a special coating so they do not oxidise (go green)

Jul 31, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #2,413 of 5,310
Quote:
What amp would you recommend if BA4 fun version does't seems or just slightly isn't enough for me?

I currently have a hippo box+ and is using a Sansa Clip+. I dun really see the need of the advanced functions for an amp. 

And also project86, I wish to hear your comparisons of BA4F vs TF10 as this is the only few high end I believe most people would have listen to and I have listen to before.
If you have already posted it before, please do inform me, while I would be glad if you could tell me the link for that page.

Thanks.

That might be enough to "wake up" the original BA4. You still won't get massive bass from it, but I find that on a Clip+ it just sounds somewhat anemic on its own. I end up cranking the volume much higher than with most other CIEMs, and the balance still seems off. I have not heard that Hippo amp but if it's halfway decent it should do the job or at least help. You still won't get huge bass but maybe sufficient for your needs.

Sorry, no comparison with TF10 as I have not tried those in ages. Never could get a good fit. 

Quote:
Hi everyone.. Im also considering the BA4 as my first CIEM.. Ive always been big on bass, till i got the UE900, and now ive come to enjoy slightly less bass with more clarity... 
So i was just wondering if someone here owns the BA4 or the BA4(fun sounding) and the UE900? Im really not sure which one to get.. if the BA4(reference) has bass similar to that of the UE900, ill go for that.. if it has less, i might have to get the fun sounding and just EQ a little of the bass away...
thanks in advance :)

No experience with UE900 but from descriptions it seems like original BA4 would be a bit lighter on the bottom, and fun version may be roughly similar. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back