Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Jul 31, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #2,416 of 5,310
Being photogenic aren't we?
biggrin.gif

Jul 31, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #2,418 of 5,310
Nice fitting there.

Anyway, since I have a hippo box+, I wish to know what would be a good amp to upgrade to in the near future if all I want is just a good drive to my CIEM and also just a volume control?

I do not really think I would need the advanced controls. Of course, if you have any reason for the extra features, please do tell me as well.
I am of no knowledge of amp, other for the sake of driving enough power to the music due to some circuitry thing in the player itself.

and project86, you were talking about cranking the volume higher but how high did you crank using the Sansa clip+ as a gauge?
I do not like listening to loud volumes at all.

If that is the case, I might go for BA2 which should be easier to drive at lower volumes.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #2,419 of 5,310
Hi everybody I have been following this thread or more like skimming through it for a month and a half or so and now I find myself able to finally ask a relevant query.

I'm wondering if anybody has had any experience with the HY3 custom or not. I am excited to be ordering my pair but want to know I am not just foolhardily throwing myself that a way. I greatly enjoy the EDM scene so when I saw that these hybrids have a bigger impact on bass I was thrilled, but (and there always is one :)) my favorite sub-genre is trance and it seems to focus on multiple music spectrums which I deeply enjoy so if advice can be provided on whether I am making a good choice I'd love to hear and you have my thanks beforehand.

Also I can't provide real comparisons to iems I have used other than my entry level Brainwavz M4's so in all respects this will be my first higher end of audio equipment and so I'm quite the noob but want to sponge everything as much as possible.

Jul 31, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #2,420 of 5,310
Quote:
Hi everybody I have been following this thread or more like skimming through it for a month and a half or so and now I find myself able to finally ask a relevant query.

I'm wondering if anybody has had any experience with the HY3 custom or not. I am excited to be ordering my pair but want to know I am not just foolhardily throwing myself that a way. I greatly enjoy the EDM scene so when I saw that these hybrids have a bigger impact on bass I was thrilled, but (and there always is one
smily_headphones1.gif
) my favorite sub-genre is trance and it seems to focus on multiple music spectrums which I deeply enjoy so if advice can be provided on whether I am making a good choice I'd love to hear and you have my thanks beforehand.

Also I can't provide real comparisons to iems I have used other than my entry level Brainwavz M4's so in all respects this will be my first higher end of audio equipment and so I'm quite the noob but want to sponge everything as much as possible.

If you ask me, Brainwavz M4 would be total clarity type of IEM, that gets kinda sharp at times for me.

So if you want a similar one, you might want the BA4R instead? But you might want to wait for other comments as my info are what I have gathered from my point of view.

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #2,423 of 5,310
Ah.. I see, when i got them, I still like it until some songs seems to have a preference with the more bassy type of iem

:p

Recently I've found out the the m2s would have been better for bass but ehh I didnt know at the time and now that I've experienced iems after ljstening to music for so utterly long with reg skullcandy I've been moving along and loving quality over quantity plus if taken care of these iems will outlast much crappier crap hehe so hence my evolution to the high-end of iems

Aug 1, 2013 at 6:01 AM Post #2,426 of 5,310
I'd like to know as well. I'll probably end up making my own cable.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #2,427 of 5,310
Quote:
Nice fitting there.

Anyway, since I have a hippo box+, I wish to know what would be a good amp to upgrade to in the near future if all I want is just a good drive to my CIEM and also just a volume control?

I do not really think I would need the advanced controls. Of course, if you have any reason for the extra features, please do tell me as well.
I am of no knowledge of amp, other for the sake of driving enough power to the music due to some circuitry thing in the player itself.

and project86, you were talking about cranking the volume higher but how high did you crank using the Sansa clip+ as a gauge?
I do not like listening to loud volumes at all.

If that is the case, I might go for BA2 which should be easier to drive at lower volumes.

Sorry, since I don't have experience with the Hippo Box I can't quite nail down what a reasonable upgrade would be. My standard advise for portable amping is the fantastic Leckerton UHA-6S MKII. At nearly $300 it's maybe more than you'd want to spend though. Most of the FiiO models are quite well received, maybe look into those as an affordable alternative.

For the BA4 and the Clip+ I usually find myself into 75% volume or so. Which is far higher than normal - most other IEMs I'm comfortable around the 40-50 percent range. 

BA2 is easier to drive and still sounds very impressive. I use mine almost every day. 

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:05 AM Post #2,428 of 5,310
Do you know if CE cables connector are the same as UE ?

CE cables use the Westone connector which I believe is slightly different, but others have used UE cables with Westone-type IEMs by trimming something at the plug. See discussion here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/476016/iphone-cable-with-mic-for-ue-or-jh-iems/105

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:20 AM Post #2,429 of 5,310

Sorry, since I don't have experience with the Hippo Box I can't quite nail down what a reasonable upgrade would be. My standard advise for portable amping is the fantastic Leckerton UHA-6S MKII. At nearly $300 it's maybe more than you'd want to spend though. Most of the FiiO models are quite well received, maybe look into those as an affordable alternative.

For the BA4 and the Clip+ I usually find myself into 75% volume or so. Which is far higher than normal - most other IEMs I'm comfortable around the 40-50 percent range. 

BA2 is easier to drive and still sounds very impressive. I use mine almost every day. 

Oh..

I remember you say that BA2 is less clear in highs and mids versus BA4F. 

But how about the bass?
And do you have more specific details you can share, like how punchy is the bass and others?

Really sorry for the pile of questions.

Aug 1, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #2,430 of 5,310

CE cables use the Westone connector which I believe is slightly different, but others have used UE cables with Westone-type IEMs by trimming something at the plug. See discussion here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/476016/iphone-cable-with-mic-for-ue-or-jh-iems/105

Westone cables don't fit the tf10 reshell, so don't know if that's the case for the ce connectors though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back