Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
May 13, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #2,012 of 5,310
Just got my ear impressions done!
She was very professional about it and didn't have me bite on a block.
Instead she instructed that I just slightly open my mouth and hold for 5 minutes.

DSC04009.jpg

DSC04008.jpg

DSC04007.jpg

DSC04006.jpg

Going to send the pictures to Phil for verification before I send them out!
So excited :D

May 13, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #2,013 of 5,310
Quote:
Damn! That is a deal in my opinion, the one I went to last year charged $50 for both ears and I called back a few months ago and now they want $80 PER EAR.

Welp, here in Korea, I can take impressions for about KRW 10,000, which is about $9. Good to be living here.

Speaking of which, I've been monitoring Cosmic Ears for some days. How is their sound signature? I currently have Etymotic ER-4S, Unique Melody Merlin, Hidition NT6 et cetera. I might try one or wait for MA series.

May 14, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #2,014 of 5,310
Quote:

Speaking of which, I've been monitoring Cosmic Ears for some days. How is their sound signature? I currently have Etymotic ER-4S, Unique Melody Merlin, Hidition NT6 et cetera. I might try one or wait for MA series.

The MA2 is a great all around performer for a low price. I use it as a "daily driver" - it's clear enough and extended enough to be enjoyable, but non-fatiguing which works well for more basic DAPs or smartphones. Very well rounded overall.

The BA6 is more in line with an enhanced Etymotic. Very clear, somewhat bass light sound with extreme detail and accuracy. 

May 14, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #2,015 of 5,310
Quote:

Welp, here in Korea, I can take impressions for about KRW 10,000, which is about $9. Good to be living here.

I got mine done for free. Just ask all your friends - post on Facebook or something - and someone will probably know an audiologist.

According to project86 the Cosmic Ears BA4/BA6 has an analytical sound signature similar to Etymotic.

For a bassier sound like the UM Merlin you could try BA3/BA5 or HY3, but obviously these are lower end models with fewer drivers. There will be a flagship HY5 model coming out later this year with a similar driver configuration to the Merlin (dynamic + 2x mids + 2x highs) but no idea if it will actually sound like the Merlin. I imagine it would be more neutral, not as bassy as the Merlin.

May 14, 2013 at 11:15 AM Post #2,016 of 5,310
Quote:
Quote:

According to project86 the Cosmic Ears BA4/BA6 has an analytical sound signature similar to Etymotic.

For a bassier sound like the UM Merlin you could try BA3/BA5 or HY3, but obviously these are lower end models with fewer drivers. There will be a flagship HY5 model coming out later this year with a similar driver configuration to the Merlin (dynamic + 2x mids + 2x highs) but no idea if it will actually sound like the Merlin. I imagine it would be more neutral, not as bassy as the Merlin.

Well, I can confirm the BA4 is analytical but I don't know anything about the BA6 yet. I'd imagine that since Phil already told us the BA3 and BA5 will be more V shaped, there's a chance BA6 will be neutral or analytical, but we just don't know for sure. Phil might not even be sure what he will settle on. 

May 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #2,017 of 5,310
Quote:

The MA2 is a great all around performer for a low price. I use it as a "daily driver" - it's clear enough and extended enough to be enjoyable, but non-fatiguing which works well for more basic DAPs or smartphones. Very well rounded overall.

The BA6 is more in line with an enhanced Etymotic. Very clear, somewhat bass light sound with extreme detail and accuracy. 

BA6? I think it was still in developing stage.

May 14, 2013 at 2:11 PM Post #2,018 of 5,310
Well my ciems have been posted and are on the way (ma1, TF10 reshell).  Outside chance of friday I think going on the last couple of times :)

Cheers

May 16, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #2,022 of 5,310
I wanted to wait until they re-released the DD1 but I don't think I can much longer. I like mostly neutral if not slightly warm presentation, I've got some Shure 940s which I really like, and was thinking of going for the HY2, to get a full, well-extended sound. Is it worth bumping up to the HY3 and is the BA2 of interest? Also, anyone know of an audiologist around stockholm, cosmic don't seem to sell the DIY impression kit anymore.

May 16, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #2,023 of 5,310
Quote:
I wanted to wait until they re-released the DD1 but I don't think I can much longer. I like mostly neutral if not slightly warm presentation, I've got some Shure 940s which I really like, and was thinking of going for the HY2, to get a full, well-extended sound. Is it worth bumping up to the HY3 and is the BA2 of interest? Also, anyone know of an audiologist around stockholm, cosmic don't seem to sell the DIY impression kit anymore.

Definitely contact Phil about which choice you should make. He's been very patient and helpful with my emails.
You're going to have to play the waiting game to order one currently :xf_eek:.
Phil isn't taking orders until he receives the new shipment of improved cables.You can however register your account and commit to buying one and he'll contact you when orders open up.

You can send your impressions and have your shells pre-made ahead of time though.

May 16, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #2,024 of 5,310
Quote:

HY3 has better mids and highs than the HY2, not only to due to the extra BA driver but because it has a crossover (HY2 doesn't), so I would say yes it's worth the upgrade. However if you're not completely hung up on the sub bass extension that a dynamic driver provides, the BA2 provides the best overall sound (and value) if you like mostly neutral. It has similar mids and very slightly better highs than the HY3. The only area where it loses out is sub bass impact, but it's actually quite well extended for a BA. The DD1 won't be neutral as the old Pure (same as the upcoming DD1) had more of a bassy sound signature.

May 16, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #2,025 of 5,310
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
I got mine done for free. Just ask all your friends - post on Facebook or something - and someone will probably know an audiologist.

Thanks for all the replies, Actually I think I'll wait for MA series to come out as I already have two full-sized CIEMs, and curious about their micro-shells, well, unless I get a sudden change of heart.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back