Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
May 8, 2013 at 4:31 PM Post #1,981 of 5,310
Quote:
There are many different cosmic ears! It is a little tricky to understand which one works better for my taste.
I currently own a Vsonic gr07 mkii that i found very bright and with thin bass. It's a very good on the technical side but a little boring, flat. The only way i can enjoy is to boost the bass about 6db and rolloff the treble on 7-8khz for the spike. So I like a solid bass let's say like the Sennheiser Amperior or px100ii (its more midbass) with a good treble nor harsh or sibilant. As I understand this CE are on the safe side for the treble so its a good news for me. Which model will have the bass i need?
I need to decide between:
HY2, HY2XB, XY3, XY3XB, BA3.

I mailed CE and they say the most bass quantity will be the XY2XB. I dunno if it this model will work for me.

Need Help!

Cheers:)

None of the CE models have harsh treble. It sounds like you're a basshead so the normal HY2 and HY3 models probably don't have the exaggerated bass you're looking for.

Of the remaining models:
Bass quantity: HY3XB = HY2XB > BA3
Mids: BA3 = HY3XB > HY2XB
Highs: BA3 > HY3XB > HY2XB

Note that most of the people on this thread who own CE models are non-bassheads and prefer relatively neutral sound, so even though they say the HY3XB has an insane amount of bass, it may only sound like a moderate boost to your ears if you're a basshead.

After annoying Phil with all of my questions, I've come to the following conclusions:

1. If you like powerful exaggerated subbass without sacrificing much in the mids or highs, get HY3XB.
  2. If you're a basshead and don't mind sacrificing a little bit of separation in the mids and highs for less money, get HY2XB.
  3. If you want great overall sound qualtiy and a relatively balanced signature with a little extra warmth in the midbass, get BA2.
  4. If you want the quality of the BA2 but want a more fun signature with boosted midbass, get BA3.

Hope this helps!

May 8, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #1,983 of 5,310
They look a lot like the ones Brannon from Heir Audio did for me - looks like everything is there (not that I know a whole bunch!)

May 9, 2013 at 3:25 AM Post #1,984 of 5,310
The length on one of them may not be long enough, but that might just be the way it's shot.  Best thing as ever is to fire the same photos over to ce to see what they say (should be fine though I imagine).

Cheers

May 9, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #1,985 of 5,310
Quote:
The length on one of them may not be long enough, but that might just be the way it's shot.  Best thing as ever is to fire the same photos over to ce to see what they say (should be fine though I imagine).

Cheers

I think it might be the angle, they went well past the 2nd curve. We did 3 sets to make sure they were right (my sister is the audilogist so that makes it cheap/easy  at least :D)

Will fire them over now.

Has anyone gone for the dual exit on the cable? What are the benefits of downward cables again?

Thanks again for everything guys :)

Tom.

May 9, 2013 at 5:57 AM Post #1,986 of 5,310
Quote:
I think it might be the angle, they went well past the 2nd curve. We did 3 sets to make sure they were right (my sister is the audilogist so that makes it cheap/easy  at least :D)

Will fire them over now.

Has anyone gone for the dual exit on the cable? What are the benefits of downward cables again?

Thanks again for everything guys :)

Tom.

Downward cables can be good if you want to use them while sleeping or doing something similar. Apart from that, over the ear hook design is more secure and comfortable.

May 9, 2013 at 6:06 AM Post #1,987 of 5,310
Quote:
Downward cables can be good if you want to use them while sleeping or doing something similar. Apart from that, over the ear hook design is more secure and comfortable.

I find memory wire to my incredibly microphonic with my glasses, so given the choice between over the ear with memory wire or just wearing an IEM straight down, I'll choose straight down every time.  The cable over the ear with no memory wire is my real preference, though.

May 9, 2013 at 6:13 AM Post #1,988 of 5,310
Quote:
I find memory wire to my incredibly microphonic with my glasses, so given the choice between over the ear with memory wire or just wearing an IEM straight down, I'll choose straight down every time.  The cable over the ear with no memory wire is my real preference, though.

You can order your cable without the memory wire from CE. 
beerchug.gif

May 9, 2013 at 6:48 AM Post #1,989 of 5,310
Quote:
None of the CE models have harsh treble. It sounds like you're a basshead so the normal HY2 and HY3 models probably don't have the exaggerated bass you're looking for.

Of the remaining models:
Bass quantity: HY3XB = HY2XB > BA3
Mids: BA3 = HY3XB > HY2XB
Highs: BA3 > HY3XB > HY2XB

Note that most of the people on this thread who own CE models are non-bassheads and prefer relatively neutral sound, so even though they say the HY3XB has an insane amount of bass, it may only sound like a moderate boost to your ears if you're a basshead.

After annoying Phil with all of my questions, I've come to the following conclusions:

1. If you like powerful exaggerated subbass without sacrificing much in the mids or highs, get HY3XB.
  2. If you're a basshead and don't mind sacrificing a little bit of separation in the mids and highs for less money, get HY2XB.
  3. If you want great overall sound qualtiy and a relatively balanced signature with a little extra warmth in the midbass, get BA2.
  4. If you want the quality of the BA2 but want a more fun signature with boosted midbass, get BA3.

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot man!

I like fun signature with a boosted mid-bass for sure. So maybe the BA3 will be good. But I feel that is just a little boosted, so maybe I am better with the XY2XB or XY3XB...
I mailed Phil Asking this.

Cheers

May 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #1,990 of 5,310
sent the impressions off yesterday....why am I now having thoughts about BA3 vs HY3,,,,does anyone have any thoughts about the two? I know it was compared to the HY3XB earlier but i'd be going for the standard HY3.

I'm fairly set on the HY3 now though.

May 10, 2013 at 10:04 AM Post #1,991 of 5,310
Quote:
sent the impressions off yesterday....why am I now having thoughts about BA3 vs HY3,,,,does anyone have any thoughts about the two? I know it was compared to the HY3XB earlier but i'd be going for the standard HY3.

I'm fairly set on the HY3 now though.

As I said above, the BA3 has more bass emphasis while the HY3 is more flat, but the HY3 should go deeper in sub bass extension.

May 10, 2013 at 12:11 PM Post #1,992 of 5,310
Quote:

They reshell TF10's on request, and ONLY TF10's, they won't reshell anything else.

I can also offer a comparison of the HY3 versus the TF10 as I have both the HY3 (standard, not the extra bass one) and a reshelled TF10 from them. 

The reshelled TF10 accentuates the TF10's 'V' shaped sound signature even further, so if you like the prominent bass and sparkly treble, with recessed mids of the standard TF10, you can expect the CE reshelled version to be the same sound, but just more of it.

The HY3 deliver a superior sound, right across the range than the reshelled TF10, but are balanced, smooth and relatively neutral compared to the TF10, and with a slightly rolled off treble at the top end. They have superior separation and soundstage too, and all in all outclass the TF10's by quite a substantial amount.

That said, they sound absolutely nothing like the TF10's. Because of the dynamic driver in the HY3 it has better extension than the TF10 for bass, and is able to dig deeper. One of my criticisms of the TF10 has always been that while it provides adequate bass quantity and quality, it was designed at a time that there was not so much demand for the sub-bass that can be part of todays modern music, and it's BA bass driver is simply not capable of digging down for the bass extension that the HY3 dynamic driver can. Tonally, they are completely different animals, but  the HY3's balanced and smooth nature is extremely amenable to EQ and you can tailor the sound to suit.That is not something that can be said for the TF10.

If I tell you that I spend most of my listening time with the HY3 in my ears and only using the reshelled TF10's for classic rock listening, where I think its sound is particularly suited, then that probably tells you something too. I do not have, and so far have not heard, a more balanced and capable IEM than the HY3 - it's a solid buy as long as you are not expecting it to sound like the TF10 
cool.gif

Sounds great.  Never been sure if I like the tf10's or not due to fit.  When I did wear them my ears would be tired after a while.  I've gone for a different choice in colours to the steam punk one.  I've suggested to phil that we make the reshell as close as possible to the tf10 colours.  As we know Phil likes a challenge (I think I'm proof of that!) and is up for it.  So that's black faceplate and a gunmetal sort of blue I think ue describe it as.  Will look different anyway.  At the £90 for the reshell it's worth it anyway as I wasn't using it.  As I listen to mainly progressive rock and metal I think this could be a winner but we'll see.

Typically we seem to have solved finally most of the fit issues and I get temporarily moved out of the noisier area where I work!  Oh well.

Cheers

May 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #1,995 of 5,310
I asked to Phil for a solid bass with great impact and good weight, i like mostly midbass boosted 6-8db. Plus i care about how cymbals sounds, and I like vocals and acoustic guitars.

Phil answer: get the HY3
If you want a little more bass: XY3XB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back