Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Oct 29, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #751 of 5,310
yes i am aware of this new model. I also would like to say that you said my pair have issues. This is not the case, mine do not have issues but are just a bassy pair of IEMs. This will become known as the HY3B likely and the one with less bass the HY3, Phil of course may change this names. I will likely be getting the reduces bass version as well so i will let you know how this all goes!

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:08 AM Post #752 of 5,310
Quote:
Have been in conversation with Phil today.  Cosmic Ears have, or are about to, introduce another option for the HY3. The new option will be to offer a different dynamic driver that has slightly reduced bass compared to the current offering.

As my HY3's are currently in production, Phil has offered to fit this to my HY3. I am hopeful that this will be just the tailoring that is required to reduce the issues Swimsonny is experiencing with the HY3.

That's very good news! I also hope this new driver option will make the HY3 sound more balanced! So, you'll be the first to get this new HY3, right?

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #753 of 5,310
Quote:
Have been in conversation with Phil today.  Cosmic Ears have, or are about to, introduce another option for the HY3. The new option will be to offer a different dynamic driver that has slightly reduced bass compared to the current offering.

As my HY3's are currently in production, Phil has offered to fit this to my HY3. I am hopeful that this will be just the tailoring that is required to reduce the issues Swimsonny is experiencing with the HY3.

Waiting for your review phlashbios on the new dynamic driver HY3. Considering them as a possible upgrade in future.

Offtopic: read about new freqphase from JH Audio and really am impressed, the time coherence between all drivers is an awesome news in CIEMs market. If it wouldn't been that high price...

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #754 of 5,310
Here is a picture of mine today finished Flex. Hope that shipping will be fast enough. Single dynamic driver, top exit detachable cable. 

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #755 of 5,310
Quote:
yes i am aware of this new model. I also would like to say that you said my pair have issues. This is not the case, mine do not have issues but are just a bassy pair of IEMs. This will become known as the HY3B likely and the one with less bass the HY3, Phil of course may change this names. I will likely be getting the reduces bass version as well so i will let you know how this all goes!

I'm now excited about the HY3 again, hope so hear from you soon to compare the two!

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #756 of 5,310
Quote:

That must have come across differently than I intended it. I didn't mean to imply there was something wrong with the headphones (indeed I didn't say there was, but I accept my wording was ambiguous)

I meant to say that for you, you seemed to have had some issues with the sound from them, in that it didn't seem to suit you.

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #757 of 5,310
Well off my impressions go.  £15.00 for 2 day trip not bad.  I've got to the point now where I don't care about the cost, just want it sorted.  So will be paying for rush and ups as well most likely.

Cheers.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:18 PM Post #758 of 5,310
Cosmic ears advises to send them a picture of your impressions by email prior to actually shipping them. I've done that 10 days ago, and still no answer from them after two emails. I've paid for my order and all, so what gives? Are they swamped or maybe there service is not that good afterall!?

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #759 of 5,310
Quote:
Cosmic ears advises to send them a picture of your impressions by email prior to actually shipping them. I've done that 10 days ago, and still no answer from them after two emails. I've paid for my order and all, so what gives? Are they swamped or maybe there service is not that good afterall!?

I imagine that they've been swamped with customers after this thread (and presumably others)surfaced and took them a little by surprise.  It's noteable as well that I also sent a photo of my impressions (seen earlier in this very thread) on friday and not had a response yet either.

Have you shipped your impressions yet?  Figured what the hey with mine and as stated above sent them anyway!

Cheers

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:40 AM Post #760 of 5,310
I've heard back from Phil again today, there has been a problem modelling my shells, as apparently I have very shallow ears and the they have been struggling to fit the dynamic and the BA's into the shells. However, Phil is making another set of shells and is confident he can get it all to fit. He has also confirmed he will be fitting the slightly reduced bass driver. Given that we are now back at the shell modelling stage again, I suspect it will be a couple of weeks before I receive the finished article now.

I am still excited ! 
biggrin.gif

Oct 30, 2012 at 6:46 AM Post #761 of 5,310
I've heard back from Phil again today, there has been a problem modelling my shells, as apparently I have very shallow ears and the they have been struggling to fit the dynamic and the BA's into the shells. However, Phil is making another set of shells and is confident he can get it all to fit. He has also confirmed he will be fitting the slightly reduced bass driver. Given that we are now back at the shell modelling stage again, I suspect it will be a couple of weeks before I receive the finished article now.

I am still excited ! :D

It'll be worth it in the end. Much better than Phil saying it's not going to work at all for you. :wink:

Oct 30, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #763 of 5,310
My DIY impressions (for full size shells) have some voids in the outer ear portion, and Phil said it would be best to re-do them (or relinquish the fit warranty).
In reply, I asked whether the impressions were complete enough to make 'warranty friendly' medium shells ( and whether the full driver compliment for the triple hybrid would fit ).
I've not had a reply yet (this was 8 days ago), and I also never got an answer to questions I asked about custom colour possibilities back when Project 86 first started this thread (quite a while back ), so I think Cosmic ears must indeed be very busy at the moment.
I think I may just order an impressions kit and see what happens.
This looks like it may take quite a while.
Once I eventually have mine I plan to do a proper write-up here, comparing them to my TF10s, S5 pro's, Phonak's and Magic-Sound's.

Oct 30, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #764 of 5,310
Quote:
It'll be worth it in the end. Much better than Phil saying it's not going to work at all for you.
wink.gif

Agree.

I am also amused to find out that I have mutant ears 
biggrin.gif
. Shows how very, very different the issues are with CIEM's compared to universals, because I have never had an issue with the fit of any universal IEM with the exception of the UE TF10, and even that I have resolved now. Never even occurred to me there would be a problem with having a shallow ear depth causing a problem with the depth of the shell in the HY3 not being able to accommodate the parts easily. Like most people I suspect, I was more concerned that the ear impressions I had sent were satisfactory. Good job the HY3's are full size shells too I think, because by the sounds of it they would never have been able to accommodate fitting the drivers in medium or micro shells. I don't have small ears either, they are quite large, it just seems that I have unusually shallow depth to them, I blame this on 35 years of going to rock gigs where my ears have clearly been flattened by being totally rocked out ! 
biggrin.gif

Anyway, all sorted now. Phil has contacted me again this afternoon to say that they have now made new shells successfully and that they will be able to fit everything into them. Happy Days !!! 
beerchug.gif

Oct 30, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #765 of 5,310
HA!
Phil got back to me while I was composing my last post!.
It seems he's gone ahead and cast my shells from my slightly dodgy impressions.
He's offered warranty cover on the fit, but says I'll have to do new impressions if there's fit issues with the finished monitors.
That's pretty good of him as It means a lot less waiting time for me (unless they don't fit of course, but that's the same delay that any CIEM purchaser risks).
I never did get a reply to my original questions regarding custom colours, but in all honesty I'm happy enough to get slightly more affordable monitors at the cost of colour choice ( I went with purple ).
Getting excited now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back