Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Oct 27, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #736 of 5,310
Quote:

Sounds Good. might just go for a larger shell though. I just want that instrument seperation and detail that BA's do so well.

I'm not 100% clear as far as how the shell changer the sound. Maybe it doesn't matter, but in my head a micro-shell equates to some type of compromise, however minor. That could be totally wrong for all I know. 

The only thing would be if the BA driver was vented, then it would need more room to "breathe" so to speak. But not many armatures are vented, and the ones that are tend to be larger like the Sonion 2015, usually used for bass or perhaps mids. 

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #737 of 5,310
HY3 Update:

Okay so i just took these for a quick spin before i went to bed as i have been competing all day and these have been having their dose of burn in. The mids are present now, in fact in a really nice position and listening to Under the Bridge by RHCP was nice, it is one of my favourite songs and the vocals where actually really nice and the treble a little under done but not to bad either, could do with some sparkle and extension but not horrible. However the whole time there was like a big tanky car engine rumbling in the back ground, i have heard this song in many different set ups and never really like this, the sub-bass was very big in rumbling but a bit artificial if you ask me, it was not needed in this song for example but it is till doing its thing. They have got a lot better lately but the bass is still what these are all about, everything else is not bad but a tad muffled under the bass. However when in some songs there is a huge under lying rumble or boom on the bass then these just sound awesome and really impress but that is not a lot of the time. 

More to come, burn in is coming to an end i think as they have had a fair few hours now and i will start the review soon. I think i was not so clear on some bits of that so if you need any clarifications just ask!

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:56 PM Post #738 of 5,310
Quote:
HY3 Update:

Okay so i just took these for a quick spin before i went to bed as i have been competing all day and these have been having their dose of burn in. The mids are present now, in fact in a really nice position and listening to Under the Bridge by RHCP was nice, it is one of my favourite songs and the vocals where actually really nice and the treble a little under done but not to bad either, could do with some sparkle and extension but not horrible. However the whole time there was like a big tanky car engine rumbling in the back ground, i have heard this song in many different set ups and never really like this, the sub-bass was very big in rumbling but a bit artificial if you ask me, it was not needed in this song for example but it is till doing its thing. They have got a lot better lately but the bass is still what these are all about, everything else is not bad but a tad muffled under the bass. However when in some songs there is a huge under lying rumble or boom on the bass then these just sound awesome and really impress but that is not a lot of the time. 

More to come, burn in is coming to an end i think as they have had a fair few hours now and i will start the review soon. I think i was not so clear on some bits of that so if you need any clarifications just ask!

I have the HY3 ordered at the moment and Phil has offered to tune the bass down if required. What I was hoping for with the HY3 is the mids and trebles of something like the UE TF10' but with the dynamic providing the sub-bass reach that the TF10's cannot match. As my HY3's are currently in production, I would welcome your view as to whether the bass is just overwhelming everything else, or whether it is tight and controlled enough that it isn't swamping everything else.

EDIT: What source are you using btw ? I tend to use my C3 or Clip Zip with flat EQ

Oct 28, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #739 of 5,310
I don't ever EQ an I have been using a few set ups, my D1 DAC into my O2 on my desktop, iPod Nano 3G to CriCri and VestAmp+ and my iPhone 4. I would have the bass tuned down a touch personally as the bass is a bit to much right now, but you may like that, it has sub-bass the TF10 did not.

Oct 28, 2012 at 5:13 AM Post #740 of 5,310
Hmm sounds like the hy3's not for me then.  Might be interested in the triple ba they do.  I seem to remember the bass integration from the dynamics with the ba's is always a tricky one for hybrid designs.  Impressions all boxed up and ready to go.  Anyone got any idea how long they take to get from the uk to sweden depending on what shipping you choose?

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:32 AM Post #742 of 5,310
Quote:
Will do a full comparison later but simply,
Want and care only for bass = HY3
Want the full sound package and pure awesomeness and class in sound quality = 4.Ai

Thanks Swimsonny. Hopefully getting a second hand pair of the 4.Ai's soon. 

Oct 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #743 of 5,310
Hmm sounds like the hy3's not for me then.  Might be interested in the triple ba they do.  I seem to remember the bass integration from the dynamics with the ba's is always a tricky one for hybrid designs.  Impressions all boxed up and ready to go.  Anyone got any idea how long they take to get from the uk to sweden depending on what shipping you choose?

Approx 6 working days from UK to Sweden with first class recorded delivery.

Oct 28, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #744 of 5,310
I was very interested about the hybrid desings, but now I'm leaning more towards the triple BA. Does anyone know if its three way or not?
And someone should order a pair so we could get some impressions
biggrin.gif

Oct 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #745 of 5,310
I was very interested about the hybrid desings, but now I'm leaning more towards the triple BA. Does anyone know if its three way or not?
And someone should order a pair so we could get some impressions :D

Someone? You?

Oct 28, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #747 of 5,310
Quote:
Someone? You?

Well I don't have any money at the moment, but I might in the near future
biggrin.gif
And it would be nice to hear how it compares to other triple BA customs before ordering.

Oct 28, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #748 of 5,310
I sure hope to see an update later that the HY3's bass doesn't drown out everything like vocals and what not, bass is important to me but clear vocals is also very important to me. May have to get a used pair of 4.Ai and get them reshelled if HY3 really isn't for me.. :frowning2:

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #750 of 5,310
Have been in conversation with Phil today.  Cosmic Ears have, or are about to, introduce another option for the HY3. The new option will be to offer a different dynamic driver that has slightly reduced bass compared to the current offering.

As my HY3's are currently in production, Phil has offered to fit this to my HY3. I am hopeful that this will be just the tailoring that is required to reduce the issues Swimsonny is experiencing with the HY3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back