Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 23, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #991 of 5,310
Quote:

It also looks to me like he has the HY3 instead of the HY3EB... Q Mass, you should confirm which HY3 model you have with CE, no?

After my Flex's were wrecked I asked Phil which model he'd supplied me with, and It was indeed the 'reduced bass' version.
I really wish they hadn't been destroyed, as I was liking the Flex's as they broke in ( or I got used to them ).
I didn't feel the need to turn up the volume to uncomfortable levels to get decent bass SPLs, like I'm forced to with my UE TF10s.
Bass on the TF10s seemed a little tighter than on the Flex, but it did seem like the Flex was getting tighter in the lower registers as I ran them in.

I've been really torn between re-ordering the Flex, or waiting for the BA4.
Phil has been really great about helping me out in my hour of need, and, as a consequence of the comfort and build quality I'm definitely sold on the idea of customs and Cosmic in particular.
The sound quality and customer service helps too!

I've elected to wait for the BA4 as they're barely any more expensive than the flex.
Phil tells me that the bass should be a little tauter than the Flex.
I've got my fingers crossed for bass quantity as I wouldn't want less than the 'reduced bass' Flex I had, we'll see, must be patient...

While I wait for the BA4s Phil has offered to make me a pair of dynamic driver 'phones more suitable for portable use ( basic cable, bottom exit ) and I'm going for a smoke left/red right colour scheme, hopefully I'll get untextured faceplates like on my Flex.

It's funny, I'd almost pulled the trigger on some 1964 Quads when Project86 started this thread, I wonder if the BA4 will sound anything like them?, I hope so, they certainly have a similar driver compliment.

I've just stumbled ( Spotify ) across four random tracks in a row that I really love, I bet these would sound great on the Flex:
Reverend And The Makers - Bassline
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDP04T-4DVw

Deekline and Wizard - Bounce and rebound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T38yKZ-kJp0

Screamin' Jay Hawkins - Heart attack and vine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnDW895AFFU

Handsome Boy Modelling Scool - The Truth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMUngA6EQ5Y

Nov 24, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #992 of 5,310
After my Flex's were wrecked I asked Phil which model he'd supplied me with, and It was indeed the 'reduced bass' version.
I really wish they hadn't been destroyed, as I was liking the Flex's as they broke in ( or I got used to them ).
I didn't feel the need to turn up the volume to uncomfortable levels to get decent bass SPLs, like I'm forced to with my UE TF10s.
Bass on the TF10s seemed a little tighter than on the Flex, but it did seem like the Flex was getting tighter in the lower registers as I ran them in.

I can confirm now I have been running the HY3 with the reduced bass for several weeks now, that the dynamic in them (same one as yours I believe) definitely benefits from some protracted burn in.

I would concur that the bass is not as tight as the TF10, but then the bass on your flex and my HY3 is being produced by a dynamic and not a BA and it can often be the case that a BA sounds tighter.

Where the dynamic in our IEM's excels though, is in its reach/extension - it gets to places the TF10 cannot manage at all, particularly if you listen to any bass/sub-bass heavy music.

Interestingly, going back to my GR07 now, after having the HY3 in my ears day and night for weeks on end, makes the GR07 feel "washed out" compared to them. I am a real GR07 fan too, so for the HY3 to sound so much better is a real achievement.

Where people are going to struggle with CE's products I think, is if the CE "house sound" doesn't suit them. CE's products seem to focus on neutrality and smoothness. They aren't detail monsters like Etymotics 4S' would be (although there is no lack of detail either), and neither are they skewed towards lushness or richness of sound. What I have found (and I said this in my review/impressions) is that they are extremely amendable to EQ. Throw any sort of music you like at them, and if neutrality doesn't suit you, you can make it sound however you wish, without destroying any of the balance or tone. That in itself, is a considerable achievement.

Going forward, the thing with the BA4 will be whether they can manage the bass extension that CE's dynamic driver manages so well in the HY3 and your Flex. Punch, I suspect, will be a given, with it being a BA, but what about the depth, that will be the interesting part ?

EDIT: I have the 'Peak Experience' album on by Space Tribe at the moment. Bass punch and reach is great. :D

Nov 24, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #993 of 5,310
Quote:
Where the dynamic in our IEM's excels though, is in its reach/extension - it gets to places the TF10 cannot manage at all, particularly if you listen to any bass/sub-bass heavy music.

Going forward, the thing with the BA4 will be whether they can manage the bass extension that CE's dynamic driver manages so well in the HY3 and your Flex. Punch, I suspect, will be a given, with it being a BA, but what about the depth, that will be the interesting part ?
EDIT: I have the 'Peak Experience' album on by Space Tribe at the moment. Bass punch and reach is great.
biggrin.gif

Sorry to paraphrase your post phlashbios,

My flex's bit the dust before they 'broke in', how have your HY3 changed since you've had them?
Did the slightly recessed (to my ears) mids come forward at all?

I'm still really torn between waiting for the BA4, and just replacing the Flex.

I definitely concur re' the bass/sub bass performance of the Flex, but I want the best of both bass worlds.
I do listen to a lot of bass heavy music, but my tastes are wildly eclectic outside of those genre's.
I want deep extended bass, but I also like it to be propulsive and tight as a drum, the Flex was pretty close to meeting these demands, but I wonder if those two bass BAs in the BA4 will be even better?
Picky?, me?

I've been intrigued by the GR07 for some time now, as I've read a lot of great impressions of them, It's encouraging that you're a fan, yet rate your HY3 higher.

Right, I'm off to try Peak Experience then, It'll only be on my TF10s though.
Or maybe Ill crank up the 'Big Rig' and see if the neighbours dig it too...

Nov 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #994 of 5,310
I've just had an e-mail from Phil at Cosmic
He's had a trainee whip up a 'freebie' for me out of the dynamic drivers from my  destroyed Flex!
The BA drivers were damaged, and since I am buying a replacement I'm guessing the same mould could be used for these?

That's QUICK work, I'd only sent them a few days ago, and I'm delighted with the colours.

All I had to pay for was the shipping there and back, and a small charge for the custom colours I asked for.

Cosmic are climbing ever higher in my estimation.

I can't wait to see how they sound, and fit, the Flex's were a very good fit, verging on perfect.
My Flex :frowning2:

And the ones I await!

Nov 24, 2012 at 12:09 PM Post #995 of 5,310
Wow, those look REALLY nice. 

For those that don't know, Cosmic (and others) scan the impressions and keep them on file.  That way as long as fit is good with the original you "shouldn't" have to get new impressions done.  The only down side to that is that they all use different machines and processes so you can't ask for example cosmic to forward your on file impressions to someone like UM or JHaudio.

I am also impressed (for different reasons) with the customer service from Cosmic.  Now if only they'd get some cables in so we can order some stuff!

Cheers

Nov 24, 2012 at 4:00 PM Post #996 of 5,310
Sorry to paraphrase your post phlashbios,

My flex's bit the dust before they 'broke in', how have your HY3 changed since you've had them?
Did the slightly recessed (to my ears) mids come forward at all?

I'm still really torn between waiting for the BA4, and just replacing the Flex.

I definitely concur re' the bass/sub bass performance of the Flex, but I want the best of both bass worlds.
I do listen to a lot of bass heavy music, but my tastes are wildly eclectic outside of those genre's.
I want deep extended bass, but I also like it to be propulsive and tight as a drum, the Flex was pretty close to meeting these demands, but I wonder if those two bass BAs in the BA4 will be even better?
Picky?, me?

I've been intrigued by the GR07 for some time now, as I've read a lot of great impressions of them, It's encouraging that you're a fan, yet rate your HY3 higher.

Right, I'm off to try Peak Experience then, It'll only be on my TF10s though.
Or maybe Ill crank up the 'Big Rig' and see if the neighbours dig it too...

Exactly the same experience as you. Mids were slightly recessed out of the box . The bass was a little woolly and spreading into the mids too. I did some extensive burn-in to put 100 hours on them and even before that was complete, the bass tightened up, the mids came forward in mix and I ended up with a balanced, smooth sound right across the range. As I said in my impressions though, anyone looking for treble sparkle will need to look elsewhere, because these are just smooth right across the range. I use them with a flat EQ mostly, but depending on source and music I am listening to, I love the fact that they respond so well to EQ. You can basically make them sound the way you want them to.

Without having heard the BA4, then it's just speculation, but I would perhaps expect the bass to be tighter and punchier, but maybe not as well extended. It will be all down to how CE tune things I guess and their approach is generally one of neutrality in sound, with the obvious exception of the bass heavy HY3XB. I think Swimsonny is going to be testing the BA4, sop unless you are in a mad rush, perhaps just wait for some reviews of them first ?

If you want to see where your TF10's fall short, then try Skazi's album called 'My Way'. They simply cannot cope with the sub-bass. The GR07's manage it fine, and the HY3's are better again at it.

Nov 24, 2012 at 5:08 PM Post #997 of 5,310
Them Flex's look amazing and how generous of Phil for doing that for you. Now just DO NOT let them near any dogs, lets keep them looking pretty and working. I will be getting the BA4 and let you know how they go as well as how well they manage bass as i think that your main query. I am quite excited for them personally!

EDIT:

The bass on my HY3XB with a bit of eminem is nothing short of marvellous. You can always hear eminem rapping which is needed but the bass underneath is so textured and deep it is just amazing. The rumble really fills your body up and this is perhaps the best bass i have heard if you like it big. This is for sure my extreme bass head recommendation, over the Hippo VB and accutone taurus!

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #998 of 5,310
Quote:
... but I would perhaps expect the bass to be tighter and punchier, but maybe not as well extended. It will be all down to how CE tune things I guess and their approach is generally one of neutrality in sound
...perhaps just wait for some reviews of them first ?
If you want to see where your TF10's fall short, then try Skazi's album called 'My Way'. They simply cannot cope with the sub-bass. The GR07's manage it fine, and the HY3's are better again at it.

These are my concerns, neutrality is overrated IMHO, we need MOAR BASS!
Seriously though, bass light is a deal breaker for me ( not that I felt my Flex were too light ) but I really hope the BA4 matches or betters the Flex bass extension and prominence.

The wait for reviews might be more than even I can stand, even if Cosmic meet the loose Feb' target they've set themselves for release of the BA4, realistically, it'll take another few weeks for people to post reviews, and then another couple of weeks minimum for Cosmic to manuf'  mine, so we're talking 4 or 5 months!

Thanks for the Skazi recommendation, you're dead on re' the TF10 not coping with the sub-bass, sounds great on my speakers though.
I quite like 'Anarchy'.

Thanks for your 'post break in summary' btw :)
Quote:
Wow, those look REALLY nice...

Phil's training someone new.
I'd consider this a pretty damn good start eh?
Quote:
Them Flex's look amazing and how generous of Phil for doing that for you. Now just DO NOT let them near any dogs...

The bass on my HY3XB with a bit of eminem is nothing short of marvellous. You can always hear eminem rapping which is needed but the bass underneath is so textured and deep it is just amazing. The rumble really fills your body up and this is perhaps the best bass i have heard if you like it big. This is for sure my extreme bass head recommendation, over the Hippo VB and accutone taurus!

Cosmic do indeed seem to be great people to deal with, and I'm devising something to extend the working life of my portable 'phones past the ONE DAY mark.
So far It's looking like a shark cage on wheels.
Your comments on the HY3XB bass are mouthwatering, but I'm not prepared to sacrifice midrange clarity to the gods of bass to that extent (going by your previous comments).
I warned you that I am fussy.
I'm starting a campaign to convince Cosmic that they need to pitch the BA4 bass somewhere between the HY3 and the HY3XB.
All those who agree (and you do right?) should write to Phil post haste, and their MEP, and Amnesty International, and the Dalai Lama.

Nov 25, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #999 of 5,310
The mids that I compare against are some if the best in IEMs and I will say I have heard a lot worst.'its really just a lack of character like what I said in my review. For bass these are amazing.

Nov 25, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #1,000 of 5,310
I'm so torn between HY3 or BA4. I want deep bass yet I also want mids and highs to be clear because I love being able to hear voices in clarity. I don't know what to get.. On one hands I can get HY3 right now or on the other hand the time it will take me to get the BA4 will be perfect since all my money won't be tied up from buying a tune for my car. Any input on which one would have a better sound for me? From description of the BA4 on Cosmic's site it sounds like the BA4 will be rather neutral with a good extension of bass? If that is the case then I'm pretty sure they are for me but then there's the new HY3 that has less bass than the HY3XB, does the HY3 have clear mids and highs?

Nov 26, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #1,001 of 5,310
My Flex (just HY3s with a recessed socket basically) had pretty damn good highs.
They didn't quite have the high end clarity of my UE TF10s, but, more importantly to me they also didn't suffer from the slightly 'honky' and strident top end that I find irritating sometimes on the TFs.
This was definitely a bonus for me,  YMMV.
I found the mids a little recessed, but no more so than the TFs, and no sibilance to speak of.
Please bear in mind that my Flex's hadn't fully broken in before dying a violent death at the hands of the animal kingdom.
Plashbios describes the mid's coming forward and bass tightening up post break in. (post 997)

There is some speculation that the BA4's bass may not extend as deep as the HY3, I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case myself as I liked my Flex's bass a lot (even more prominent bass wouldn't go amiss though )
Phil at Cosmic told me the BA4 will have tighter bass than the HY3, which I like the sound of, but I want moar!
Like you I'm torn between the two models, also like you I love vocals, and mid's, so I'm not considering the HY3XB which supposedly swamp the mids somewhat (although the bass described by Swimsonny is very attractive).
I don't quite consider myself a proper basshead, as my tastes range far and wide, but I do listen to quite a lot of bass/sub bass heavy music and get the impression from years of lurking Head-Fi that I'm pretty common in that regard.

Sorry that I can only compare to my UE TF10, but that's the only 'high end' IEM I own or have heard.
I liked the Flex better than the TF, but it was a fairly close race sonically (pre break-in remember).
Except for comfort that is, the Flex was light years ahead in that category.

My mind is definitely not made up, hope that helps :)

Nov 26, 2012 at 10:35 AM Post #1,002 of 5,310
I'm a little surprised that no ones tried the triple ba that they do.  I may well give that one a go.

Nov 26, 2012 at 11:04 AM Post #1,003 of 5,310
Quote:
I'm a little surprised that no ones tried the triple ba that they do.  I may well give that one a go.

I deliberately didn't go for that option, as I have a TF10, whose bass does not have the extension required for some music I listen to (not that I am saying all BA bass drivers are like that ofc). My thinking in getting the HY3 was a dynamic driver for the depth and slam of the bass, and then BA's for the clarity and resolution of the mids and the trebles - theoretically then, the best of all worlds.

And, after extended use now, and getting used to a smooth sounding signature rather than the TF10's sparkly one, that is exactly what I have got with the HY3. Nice, full bodied bass that can reach down low when it needs to, and yet balanced well with the mids and trebles. I am not convinced I would have got the bass reach I was looking for, with CE's triple BA's - perhaps I am wrong though and someone has a comment to make regarding this ?

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #1,004 of 5,310
The problem is that the options whilst there mean very little without some sort of description.  It's effectively a shot in the dark. 

Cheers

Nov 26, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #1,005 of 5,310
My thinking is the same as phlashbios on this, I too have a TF10 that's not quite 'all that'.
I don't think anyone here has the triple to comment on?
Surely a quad with twin bass BAs will be moar bassy than a triple?
Project86 made encouraging comments on the other cheaper (!) models not long after he started this thread, I wonder what's happened to his thoughts on the hybrid he was waiting for?.
What kind of sound sig' do you favour davidcotton?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back