Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Nov 20, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #976 of 5,310
And also of course from the very same cd "the dorset perception"

most of you who never heard psychedelic trance this one will probably blow your mind as a new experience in sound altogether

Only asking please do listen on your IEM before going to the living room stereo lol

Nov 20, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #980 of 5,310
Nov 20, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #981 of 5,310
Nov 21, 2012 at 7:04 AM Post #983 of 5,310
Through experimentation I have discovered that the terrible match that I was experiencing with the HY3 and using the Colorfly C3 is down to the C3 not being able to drive the HY3 with sufficient power. Or at least not being able to drive it efficiently. The temptation is to say that this is down to BA's being different to drive than dynamics. However, I do not experience this issue with my TF10's and the C3, so the issue isn't as simple as that. I suspect, as per an explanation I have been offered by another head-fi member, that there is mismatch between the C3's output impedance and the impedance of the HY3.

If I pump up the C3 to max volume, the HY3 are fine. If I use the C3 through an external amp, they are even better. Bizarrely, unamped, the C3 at high volumes seems to move the mids forward and in particular, vocals come forward in the presentation. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is distinctly different to my other sources (see my sig) where all elements of the mix are balanced.

So, all in all, don't put the HY3 with an unamped C3 unless you like loud listening volumes and a slightly forward presentation of the mids (which will work well if you are a rock music fan)

In all the situations I am talking about here I am using a flat EQ. I am going to give Phil at Cosmic Ears a shout and ask him what the SNR and Impedance of the HY3 is, because curiosity has the better of me now :)

Nov 21, 2012 at 8:31 AM Post #984 of 5,310
The answer for the HY3 is 16 Ohms and 106dB.

That does not strike me as particularly unusual, but then I don't know what the output impedance of the C3 is, and neither can I find its output on the web. Anyone any idea ?

Speculation from Cosmic Ears, is that the C3 may not like trying to drive the dynamic and the BA's together in the HY3. It is certainly something peculiar to the C3, all my other sources are fine.

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #985 of 5,310
Quote:

That does not strike me as particularly unusual, but then I don't know what the output impedance of the C3 is, and neither can I find its output on the web. Anyone any idea ?

Speculation from Cosmic Ears, is that the C3 may not like trying to drive the dynamic and the BA's together in the HY3. It is certainly something peculiar to the C3, all my other sources are fine.

I can't find anything about the C3 either. Usually that means they don't know or care about the output impedance of their own product. Which translates to it being somewhat on the high side. 

Also, when Phil says 16 ohms, that's probably at 1kHz which is a standard way of putting it. Doesn't mean it won't dip down lower or climb far higher at certain frequencies, which is what causes more problems when being driven by a high impedance source. If it was 16 ohms and stayed there across the entire spectrum it wouldn't be so bad. 

Nov 22, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #986 of 5,310
Would the fix be as simpleas getting a souce with lower impedance output? And could you say the same for the c3? Pair it up with something with higher impedence?

Nov 22, 2012 at 1:25 PM Post #987 of 5,310
Would the fix be as simpleas getting a souce with lower impedance output? And could you say the same for the c3? Pair it up with something with higher impedence?

HY3 is fine with my Cowon C2, my Clip Zip and my iPod. It's just the C3 that the HY3 doesn't play nicely with. I have other IEM's ( the TF10 peaks at up to 65 Ohms and the GR07 @ 50 Ohm) that are theoretically, harder to drive than the HY3.

It's not causing me any bother, because I usually run the C3 amped anyway into other headphones, it's more about satisfying my own curiosity as to what is going on here :)

Someone measure the C3's output would you please ? lol

Nov 22, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #989 of 5,310
Quote:

Does it hiss with the C3? I find that some of my IEM with the same impedance hisses with the C3.

Nov 22, 2012 at 5:41 PM Post #990 of 5,310
Does it hiss with the C3? I find that some of my IEM with the same impedance hisses with the C3.

There is a little bit of hiss between tracks, but it disappears as soon as a track starts and does not appear to be present in any quiet parts of tracks that are playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back