Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Oct 15, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #544 of 5,310
Quote:
You are very right, I am after a top detachable exit. After reading the cosmic ears site again i realized that's standard on the HY3, stupid me, thought it was bottom exit.
I think I'll probably be in for the HY3 in that case :D the only question is recessed sockets in that case, as I gather the HY3 doesn't have them?

That's right, it doesn't.

However, I wouldn't have chosen recessed sockets even if it were an option for the HY3, as I would rather have the option of a much wider choice of aftermarket cables available without having to worry about whether the little plugs on the end of the cables will fit into the recessed sockets. Don't get me wrong, I can see the attraction of recessed sockets for some people, but I'm not one of them.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #545 of 5,310
Quote:
However, I wouldn't have chosen recessed sockets even if it were an option for the HY3, as I would rather have the option of a much wider choice of aftermarket cables available without having to worry about whether the little plugs on the end of the cables will fit into the recessed sockets. Don't get me wrong, I can see the attraction of recessed sockets for some people, but I'm not one of them.

I've been told before on this thread that the plugs on that kind of Westone/CIEM generic cables are of standard/universal dimension, so even with the recessed sockets you will be able to use any of those Westone/CIEM generic cables of your choice (and these are the only type of cables you can use, even with flush sockets)....

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #547 of 5,310
Wow, the hybrids are so tempting! I originally was waiting to buy a pair of 4.A as an upgrade from my tf10 reshell (Would that be considered as an upgrade?). Anyway, I do enjoy a flat response but I do love good lows and sadly the tf10 doesn't give me much of that and at the price point of the HY3, I am highly considering these as an upgrade. It would be nice to read about the sound signature once they are available. I'm just curious if I can just send in my old impressions that were already used by my previous reshelling.

Oct 15, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #548 of 5,310
Quote:

That's right, it doesn't.

Hmm, I'm highly tempted by the HY3 now.
My thought was that recessed sockets would be tougher and the cables/connectors would last longer, but I don't have any experience with detachable (C)IEMs so I wouldn't know actually

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:34 PM Post #549 of 5,310
Quote:
Hmm, I'm highly tempted by the HY3 now.
My thought was that recessed sockets would be tougher and the cables/connectors would last longer, but I don't have any experience with detachable (C)IEMs so I wouldn't know actually

Only IEM I have that has removable cables, is the UE TF10, which does not have recessed sockets. The TF10 doesn't concern me at all about how robust its connectors are, but then I don't do anything other than walk or sit with them on, so I don't really stress the connectors any. I have no reason to believe that they are in any way delicate though, just because they don't have recessed connectors. I guess it will depend on how hard you are with them, if you are jogging or working out with them on, then perhaps recessed connectors become a more attractive option for potentially added robustness.

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #550 of 5,310
Quote:

Only IEM I have that has removable cables, is the UE TF10, which does not have recessed sockets. The TF10 doesn't concern me at all about how robust its connectors are, but then I don't do anything other than walk or sit with them on, so I don't really stress the connectors any. I have no reason to believe that they are in any way delicate though, just because they don't have recessed connectors. I guess it will depend on how hard you are with them, if you are jogging or working out with them on, then perhaps recessed connectors become a more attractive option for potentially added robustness.

Agree with you 100%. I use a TF10 VI cable on my tf10 reshells and have accidentally yanked the cable very hard numerous times and everything was fine.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:14 AM Post #553 of 5,310
Curious......

Any one placed order before 09/15 and the production status is still Shell creation?

Four weeks after Cosmic Ears received impressions, my HY3 and micro-Flex are not finished yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back