Cosmic Ears - new CIEM company with great prices (including Hybrid designs!)
Oct 13, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #527 of 5,310
Quote:
How do these compare to the Shure SE215? Which one would be a better long-term investment?

I've only heard the SE215 for short periods, but I thought it was quite good in a "fun, non-critical listening" sort of way. 

The basic Pure model is along the same lines but not as good overall. But the fit is obviously way better. The Pure Plus is maybe equivalent but different in presentation - less bass rumble but still nice punch, more neutral and even overall. 

No IEM is a good long term investment though. If anything, the SE215 is good because it can be resold if you don't like it. Then again the Cosmic products will be able to offer a better fit which may prevent you from swapping out more and more IEMs trying to get a good match, so that's something to think about. 

Oct 13, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #529 of 5,310
project86, when are you due to receive your HY3's? Any ETA yet? 
smile.gif

Oct 14, 2012 at 9:45 AM Post #530 of 5,310
Quote:
project86, when are you due to receive your HY3's? Any ETA yet? 
smile.gif

Not yet. I told Phil at Cosmic Ears that he could take his time since I'm still working on the Pure, Pure Plus, and Flex micro twin impressions. Plus I've got some 1964 Ears customs to review, and about a million things in for review for InnerFidelity. So I'm a busy guy and not in a major rush. 

That said, I'll probably get them in the next few weeks. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:15 PM Post #531 of 5,310
Quote:

Not yet. I told Phil at Cosmic Ears that he could take his time since I'm still working on the Pure, Pure Plus, and Flex micro twin impressions. Plus I've got some 1964 Ears customs to review, and about a million things in for review for InnerFidelity. So I'm a busy guy and not in a major rush. 

That said, I'll probably get them in the next few weeks. 

I'm curious really. My main area of iems has been the likes of the westone 3, triplefi10 etc etc.  Given that what models should I be looking at?  Budgets not much of an issue within reason but justifying it is.  Equally I don't want to go for one of the lower models and get less than what I'm used to.

Cheers

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #532 of 5,310
Quote:
I'm curious really. My main area of iems has been the likes of the westone 3, triplefi10 etc etc.  Given that what models should I be looking at?  Budgets not much of an issue within reason but justifying it is.  Equally I don't want to go for one of the lower models and get less than what I'm used to.

Cheers

I'd say the Flex with twin driver should probably be your minimum starting point. It's got a nice even presentation, good extension on both ends. But of course more can be had with the higher driver or hybrid configurations. I'll know more once I get the triple hybrid - will it be worth about double the price of the twin driver? Something tells me it will, but we'll see. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 1:44 PM Post #533 of 5,310
It's a shame that they've had to put sold out on a lot of the models (though I can understand why), makes it awkward trying to figure out costs.

Cheers

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:39 PM Post #534 of 5,310
Quote:
It's a shame that they've had to put sold out on a lot of the models (though I can understand why), makes it awkward trying to figure out costs.

Cheers

+1
I was going to compare the flex with the same driver setup as the HY3 and see how much more a top detachable cable exit would be, but so much for that.
We'll have to wait for some impressions of the HY3, but I have a feeling I might forget about the top exit in favor of the extra driver

Oct 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #535 of 5,310
They are waiting on cables which is the reason for out of stock. Phil don't want there to be a long wait so he thought this was the best way to do it. Some flex option will still be available so cable choice will be the factor.

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #536 of 5,310
Like I said, I understand why.  Doesn't matter too much for me as I have to wait till the end of the month for my impressions to be done anyway.  Hopefully by then the cable situation will be done and dusted.  Been in touch with Phil and been impressed each time by the speed and helpfulness of his replies.

Cheers

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #538 of 5,310
Quote:
+1
I was going to compare the flex with the same driver setup as the HY3 and see how much more a top detachable cable exit would be, but so much for that.
We'll have to wait for some impressions of the HY3, but I have a feeling I might forget about the top exit in favor of the extra driver

I am confused. The HY3 has a top exit, detachable cable as standard, why would you specify a Flex model of the same spec as the HY3 and pay more ? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, that is quite possible :)

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:04 AM Post #539 of 5,310
Quote:

I am confused. The HY3 has a top exit, detachable cable as standard, why would you specify a Flex model of the same spec as the HY3 and pay more ? Maybe I am misunderstanding what you are saying, that is quite possible :)

Because the same Flex model allows more costumization, like recessed cable sockets, different shell and/or faceplate colors and other cabling options. But for that, you pay more...

Oct 15, 2012 at 6:59 AM Post #540 of 5,310
Quote:

You are very right, I am after a top detachable exit. After reading the cosmic ears site again i realized that's standard on the HY3, stupid me, thought it was bottom exit.
I think I'll probably be in for the HY3 in that case :D the only question is recessed sockets in that case, as I gather the HY3 doesn't have them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back