confused head-fier
Jan 19, 2011 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

cck5

500+ Head-Fier
i started my journey in headfi over two years ago. and its magical up until now. I currently own no full sized cans and only a pair of IEMS (monster turbine pro golds), even though they are great, i want something more now.

so far i have owned sr80I sr225i and have listened to the m50's. i was not impressed with the m50s at all and felt my turbines sounded equally good and in a far smaller form. i loved the sr225i and they would be the perfect cans if they had more bass.

currently i am looking for a full sized can

here are things im looking for and what i plan on using them for

indoor non portable use
doesnt matter if they are open or closed. as i live alone
price range $200-300 dollars im willing to bend upward a little on the price if its well worth it.
i listen mainly to deathcore, deathmetal and hardcore rock.. and occasionally listen to acoustic guitar music, and classic rock.
so all in all these cans will be used for some form of rock and guitar based music.
id like something with more bass than the 225I, or if you havent heard them something with bass with a nice impact and slam. similar to my monsters that i use with the hybrid or foam tips. with the silicone tips the bass is far too great for me.

id prefer something that could sound good out of my ipod, or would work well with an affordable amp around $100 dollars or something around there used.

also i normally listen on the louder volume side

please try and help me find something to fit my needs.

thank you

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 26
Most of Head-Fi will disagree but hear me out:
HD650.

I had an HD580 with HD650 drivers after I sold my SR225i's. For the price I paid, they were unbelievable. Some may say they are too mellow for metal but I disagree. I listen to mathcore extensively and it sounded great. 
The kickdrum and bass guitars are just enough oomph to put a smile on my face. And this was out of my uDac. It was quite a bit better with my amp (Schiit Asgard). 
Also many will say they won't "sing" without an amp. I disagree with this as well. While they don't sound their best, they will still sound fantastic through a portable source. I used them with my Droid sometimes and it wasn't bad at all. 

If you are lucky you can find a pair around $250. They are great for this price. They are the "perfect" headphone in that IMO they did nothing wrong. But also they didn't do one thing that well: treble. 
It was a breath of fresh air after the Grado's but I missed the sparkle sometimes. I got the K702 after that, but was disappointed sorta by the lack of bass and weird midrange. 

Get the HD650. 

Jan 19, 2011 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 26
ill keep that in mind, as i have heard that before. and i can audition these. for some reason i was leaning toward the d2000's as i heard there amazing or a pair of 225I with an amp or hf2

Jan 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #4 of 26
Have you considered a modded SR60. I just finished modding mine and it sounds awesome. I woodied mine and recabled them with 4ft of  4 braideed silver wire.People are modding the 225 too. If you want more bass from a 225 just seperate the driver from the cups punch 4 holes in the back of the driver (see pics in link) and put the driver back in the cups. Mine dont sound as good as my HF2 but they sound damn good. The Denon is nice, real comfortable, lots of bass, has plenty of detail but I found the mids to be a bit recessed and it was very laid back.`

Jan 20, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #6 of 26
i am not handy enough to do this at all. nor would i downgrade back to the sr60 which i never even used. i started with sr80I. i would not feel comfortable opening up sr225I and playing around.

i think the dennons would be nice for me, but i heard theyre gonna need an amp.

Jan 20, 2011 at 3:58 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
i am not handy enough to do this at all. nor would i downgrade back to the sr60 which i never even used. i started with sr80I. i would not feel comfortable opening up sr225I and playing around.

The denons have a low impedance so they can be ran straight from a ipod or computer but from what i've read they do shine with a amp. I use mine out of a fiio e7 on my pc and I love them.

Jan 20, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #9 of 26
If you like Grados already, get the Symphones Magnums Lite mod, which gives you high-end drivers in a custom made enclosure that fits in even the SR-60s.  They'll also scale as far as you are willing to go with the rest of your gear.

Jan 20, 2011 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 26

Quote:

That's where I was at one point so I understand your reluctance. As far as the SR60 being inferior to the SR225 no argument here. I've had both. The 225 is definitely a better phone, but my modded 60 could run with a stock 225 all day long. Just took a closer look at those Symphone Magnums that Currawong reccomended and if those things are in your budget they look awfully sweet.

Jan 20, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #11 of 26
Some additional recommendations for ya:

Beyerdynamic DT 770 32 Ohm, DT 990 32 Ohm

Ultrasone HFi 780, PRO 750

All these options boast strong well extended base as well as a nice aggressive sound signature that is well suited for rock music and they are easily driven by portable sources.

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #14 of 26
so id have to pay 400+ the cost of the 325I?

it doesnt look like they mod any other cans now other than the 325i

Jan 20, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #15 of 26
I think id rather look toward another alternative. and while grado shines and does classic rock perfect for me. In my deathcore listening, yes it cleans it up a lot and it sounds crystal clear but its not really enjoyable without the slamming of the kick drums and bass breakdowns.

so i want to explore other options possibly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back