Comply Tips Review
Apr 16, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #31 of 182

Quote:
Something's wrong if foam tips are dropping your bass - especially by a level as extreme as -7dB. Disappearing bass is an obvious indicator of an incomplete seal but I don't see how you could get an incomplete seal with comply foams... they're supposed to be huge. Perhaps you have mutant alien ears or the tips were old/somehow defective? 
My T400 tips are nice but they can considerably screw up tonal balance since the plastic core doesn't extend to the end of the tips and your ears squash the unsupported opening. As a result, many people recommend cutting off the foam not supported by plastic core or recommend putting the tips on backwards (uncomfortable). I would like to see this problem solved as I think all the comply tips are like this and other foam/foam hybrid tips don't have this problem as much.

Trimming off the foam overhang is standard practice for me. It's easy, quick and remediates any sound issues the Comply's have. Trim them flat to the end of the plastic core.

Apr 16, 2011 at 2:59 PM Post #33 of 182

Quote:
Something's wrong if foam tips are dropping your bass - especially by a level as extreme as -7dB. Disappearing bass is an obvious indicator of an incomplete seal but I don't see how you could get an incomplete seal with comply foams... they're supposed to be huge. Perhaps you have mutant alien ears or the tips were old/somehow defective? 
My T400 tips are nice but they can considerably screw up tonal balance since the plastic core doesn't extend to the end of the tips and your ears squash the unsupported opening. As a result, many people recommend cutting off the foam not supported by plastic core or recommend putting the tips on backwards (uncomfortable). I would like to see this problem solved as I think all the comply tips are like this and other foam/foam hybrid tips don't have this problem as much.

Depending on ear geometry and the IEM, it's easy to not get a seal with just about any tip.  I get no seal what so ever with anything but the large Shure olive with my Westone 1.  With it, the tip just gets to my ear canal so it has to be big.  Anything that goes farther in my ear, I need the smallest tips available.

Apr 18, 2011 at 10:42 AM Post #34 of 182
We don't have the PL-50s on our official compatibility list...yet... The PL-30s work with our T/x400 size tip, which might work with the PL-50s, but I can't guarantee anything. We're constantly buying new earphones and testing them for compatibility, but new stuff comes out all of the time. Keeping up all the way can be hard. I'll be sure they get on our test list though.

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #35 of 182
PL50 won't take T/X400 because the nozzle is smaller. T100 will fit PL50 if you push it in with care (slightly tight).

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:07 PM Post #36 of 182
Comply tips certainly get my vote.  I absolutly love em!  10/10

They're sooooo comfy you could almost forget your waring them but they also have the added bonus of keeping your headphones firmly in place without coming loose.  If your obsessive (like me) about keeping you ears clean and wash your hands everytime before you compress them they last for about 3-4months before they get dirty.  I've just tried cleaning some in washing up liquid then rinsing them out and leaving them to dry and they now seem as good as new.

Apr 18, 2011 at 4:11 PM Post #37 of 182

Quote:
Is there a proper way to put the tips onto the IEM? There's no instructions that I can find, so I'm not sure. 

The instructions for my Westone headphones say that you should use a twisting motion as you push them on or pull them off.  If you push them on or pull them off without the twisting you risk damaging the tube part of the IEM.

Apr 18, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #38 of 182
Can anyone shed some light on which tips fit the Grado iems (GR10 specifically)? The information on Amazon and on Comply's site are not in agreement.

Cheers

Apr 18, 2011 at 9:28 PM Post #40 of 182
Just got my Comply tips for my Shure 215's and I hate to say that I am not as enthused about them as I had hoped to be. I was using large olives previously and had really gotten used to the seal and isolation they afforded, plus the greater bass response that went with them. I ordered large sized T-100's but they seem more the size of the medium olives. As such I don't get a complete seal. If I want to listen to music and read while the wife is watching TV I need my music up louder than normal or I hear the TV in the background. Plus the bass has suffered considerably as well.

Does anyone know if there are a larger sized Comply tip that will still fit my Shures?

Apr 18, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #41 of 182

None of the comply tips are as big as the large olives.  With my Westone 1, I have to use the large olives and I tried the large comply tips and they're not big enough.  My old UM1 came with some long tips that may have sealed, but they got pinched closed because of my ear geometry.  I'm not sure what they are called or if they'd work for you.

Apr 19, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #42 of 182

Quote:
The instructions for my Westone headphones say that you should use a twisting motion as you push them on or pull them off.  If you push them on or pull them off without the twisting you risk damaging the tube part of the IEM.

Thanks! I think the squishy nature of the Complys made me wonder if I was putting them on right, since they get squished almost to nothing when I put them on my IEMs. 

Apr 19, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #44 of 182
Our official compatibility says Grado GR-10s have the best fit with the T-200/TX-200 series of Comply Foam Tips. What's the conflicting info you saw? I didn't find anything on Amazon...

Apr 19, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #45 of 182

Quote:
Just got my Comply tips for my Shure 215's and I hate to say that I am not as enthused about them as I had hoped to be. I was using large olives previously and had really gotten used to the seal and isolation they afforded, plus the greater bass response that went with them. I ordered large sized T-100's but they seem more the size of the medium olives. As such I don't get a complete seal. If I want to listen to music and read while the wife is watching TV I need my music up louder than normal or I hear the TV in the background. Plus the bass has suffered considerably as well.

Does anyone know if there are a larger sized Comply tip that will still fit my Shures?

The T-100 is the right size for Shure 215s. What size did you get? They come in small, medium and large. Maybe you need a larger size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back