Comply Tips Review
Mar 3, 2015 at 8:14 PM Post #167 of 182
I got in the Comply T-500 to try with my Fitear Parterre. They fit perfectly on the shaft. Using them is a bit of a process since you have to roll (compress) both before inserting in your ear. There is no question that they do have some effect on the high frequency although it is minimal. I bought the large size as that is what works for me in other brands. I find that they absorb sound so I am required to turn up the volume a little to get the same gain as with other tips. I guess that is the foam soaking up some of the sound. They are almost comfortable but the experience of waiting for them to expand in your ear is a little interesting and I can feel the plastic center on the shaft when in my ear. After a few minutes I find them uncomfortable and there is something about the foam material that starts to cause a burning feeling in my ears almost as though it were a chemical reaction with my skin. It actually takes several seconds for them to expand and seal during which the music sounds terrible. Once they expand with a little increased volume they sound pretty good but they are no contest with something like the JVC Spiral Dot for sound quality. Even the supplied tips from Fitear sound more balanced but do not isolate as well.

I have to say that the hard shaft in the center of the Comply is problem for me. I can feel it in my ear. I would recommend these for people who need maximum isolation but for sound quality the Spiral Dots are clearly superior but isolate less. I have some Sprinfits and Westone tips coming in to compare also. Everyone has different ears so this is just my personal experience with the Comply tip.

Apr 16, 2015 at 7:16 AM Post #169 of 182
  Hi do these tips increase sound quality compared to silicon tips? Will they make the bass better?

They may give you a more complete seal which will increase the bass but they will also roll off the top end. As I said above the foam to me soaks up some of the sound but if you are going for maximum bass this might do it for you.

Apr 16, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #170 of 182
  They may give you a more complete seal which will increase the bass but they will also roll off the top end. As I said above the foam to me soaks up some of the sound but if you are going for maximum bass this might do it for you.

Yes... unless you trim back the foam overhang. Then there is no roll-off of the highs. That's what I do, and I've been wearing them for years! It's actually all I ever use.

Apr 16, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #171 of 182

Yes... unless you trim back the foam overhang. Then there is no roll-off of the highs. That's what I do, and I've been wearing them for years! It's actually all I ever use.

We've also heard from a lot of our overseas customers tell us that the Comfort Series tips help with that as well due to its spherical design. 

Another easy way to solve that issue is in how you prep the foam tip before inserting it into the ear. Tyll from InnerFidelity does a great job at explaining how to do so: 

Apr 17, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #172 of 182
I have never been able to get a completely satisfactory seal with my Shure SE425s. You all know how many tips they come with too. The Comply P-Series are the first ones to provide the fabled Shure seal. HIgh isolation but also very comfortable. The softest Comply tips I've used and I've bought almost every type to use with various IEMs. After 2 years I'm finally really hearing these 425s.

Oct 4, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #173 of 182
P-100's also solve a different problem with the SE846's.  The plastic shell on the IEM's is bigger and bulkier than SE535's.  Having just a bit more tip allows you to keep the shell a bit more out of the ear (and makes longer term wearing more comfortable).

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:37 PM Post #174 of 182
  We've also heard from a lot of our overseas customers tell us that the Comfort Series tips help with that as well due to its spherical design. 

Another easy way to solve that issue is in how you prep the foam tip before inserting it into the ear. Tyll from InnerFidelity does a great job at explaining how to do so: 

I've done that too...
But I find that the overhang expands once in the ear canal and I'm back to the same reason for trimming in the first place.

That being said... the overhang of the foam beyond the core does aid in isolation. I will often use un-trimmed P-series tips when flying.

Mar 16, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #175 of 182
I have never been able to get a completely satisfactory seal with my Shure SE425s. You all know how many tips they come with too. The Comply P-Series are the first ones to provide the fabled Shure seal. HIgh isolation but also very comfortable. The softest Comply tips I've used and I've bought almost every type to use with various IEMs. After 2 years I'm finally really hearing these 425s.

This is good to hear.

1. Have you used any of the Westone True-Fit tips?

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:36 PM Post #177 of 182
Hmmm, I never got a response to my question above. Regardless, I bought the variety pack of the SmartCore tips--the Audio Pro and Sport Pro tips--a few days ago on Amazon, and just received them. As far as I know, the SmartCore tips are a new series of tips from Comply. So far, I've only done a bit of listening using the Sport Pro tips, and it has been a long time since I listened using the original Sport Pros, but so far, I'm not hearing a reduction in treble like there was with the original Sport Pros. Maybe someone who happens to have a pair of the original Sport Pro tips and a pair of the new SmartCore Sport Pro tips can verify (or dispute) my findings.
I have yet to try the SmartCore Audio Pro tips.
Edit: Shortly after posting, I realized that on the Windows 10 PC on which I am listening to my headset, I have Dolby Atmos for Headphones enabled. I might try turning that off and try listening for a while, or switch to my iPhone, to most accurately gauge the quality of these tips. But normally I leave Dolby Atmos for Headphones on, and forget about it.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #178 of 182
I just listened to my SmartCore Sport Pro and Audio Pro tips via my headset connected to my iPhone, and I think that they both sound better than the original Sport Pro tips, and I also think that the SmartCore Audio Pro tips sound better than the SmartCore Sport Pro tips. Of course, the Sport Pro tips were designed differently than the other tip types: designed to let in some sound from the outside, and also to better accommodate sweat, so I might use the SmartCore Sport Pro tips while working out, and the SmartCore Audio Pro tips at other times.
I'm still curious about how both of these SmartCore tips sound in comparison to their non-SmartCore counterparts: the Sport Pro, Comfort Pro, and Isolation Pro, where they are all inserted into the ear canal the same way (pinching and pushing down on the foam as other people have described, and without making any modifications to any of them--such as cutting off some of the foam--or installing any of them differently (upside-down, for example).
I forgot to mention above what kind of headset I have. It is a Sony MDR-AS800AP: https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=MDRAS800AP

Jun 4, 2018 at 12:26 AM Post #179 of 182
For many many years I would trim off the foam overhang. This yielded great results, although it resulted in a slight reduction in isolation properties.
The solution I came upon independently, and also shortly later seeing a short video clip on it, was exactly what you mention... to first press the overhang flat to the plastic core, then begin the compression-rolling of the tip. Works brilliantly.

As for the SmartCore... I haven't seen or tried them, but I usually require the P-type large as my ear canals are fairly wide and long. Hmmm...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back