Compilation of portable amps
Nov 17, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #106 of 169
Too bad this guide doesnt say which amps use tubes, or where to get one of those nifty tube amps in a altoid tin.
rs1smile.gif

Jan 20, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #109 of 169
This is a great thread but I think it need a major update with the links!
confused.gif
Only about half actualy get you to the right place.

Thanks

Jan 21, 2006 at 5:46 PM Post #111 of 169
Jan 26, 2006 at 3:52 AM Post #112 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by wbrando
Google has a link to http://members.shaw.ca/storage_2/headsave/ that makes it appear that there is renewed life for Headsave. There was all also a thread on an other site that indicated he had come back at the above address. (http://ipastudio.com/forums/showthre...=hybrid&t=1199)

Maybe Headsave wasn't "completety dead; just mostly dead" as they said in the Princess Bride. Let's hope.

The proper link is http://www.go-vibe.com - norm was only down for a couple months before he set that up I think.

Many things on this list are in a dire need of updating. Xin's amp prices are wrong, and headroom is listing all the year-old amps. If this list isn't going to be updated it shouldn't be a sticky any more.

I would love to see a nice neat concise list for both portables and normal amps. A simple table - Name (linked if relevant) - price - type(opamp/discrete/tube/etc) - portable (yes/no) - dac (yes/no)

That would be enough to let people know what's out there, then they could investigate the rest. Or perhaps it's time for one of us to start a seperate site like headphonereviews.org.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 2, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #113 of 169
i e-mailed norm galdano (owner of go-vibe?)

i recieved an auto-response that said...

Quote:

The go-vibe V4 has sold out.
There are no plans to offer a replacement.
I have a few one-of-a-kind custom headphone amps left:
1) 1 only go-vibe V3.
2) 1 only custom Home-Vibe.
3) 1 only custom compact Home PIMETA.
4) 1 only portable PIMETA in a translucent Serpac case.
Thanks to all who have supported me throughout the past three years. "Good Vibes" and happy listening!

Feb 14, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #114 of 169
There are two more poratble that I know of to add to the list!

Practical Devices-XM3 $135 UDS www.practicaldevices.com

And the NEW ISA Diablo! MRSP $500 I belive. Made by Larroco Audio for http://www.ipodstudio.com

I have both on order! LOL

Feb 19, 2006 at 7:27 AM Post #116 of 169
Yeah, the first page really needs to be updated.

-JMT Audio is no more
-Rockhopper doesn't seem to make the PPAs anymore
-The new SuperMicro is $169
-The new SuperMini is $199
-The new SuperMacro is $349
-There's now the Hornet and the AE-1
-Eyevancsu and his CMOYs seems to be no more
-The Coda Amp LE, Overature DAC, Supreme, Cosmic (Reference) are all discontinued
-The new Portaphile V2^2 now starts at $189 and the "mini" (Now the X^3) at $109
-Epsilon is now $99, Mu is $149, and Lambda is $199

Feb 19, 2006 at 4:52 PM Post #117 of 169
I would be willing to restart this thread and update it periodically if the mods are willing to sticky it. Honestly it's the sort of reference I would like to see more of.

Feb 21, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #118 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by ghart999
The amp list is now up to date with all the suggestions that have been made.

I seen you mentioned Ray Samuels,but i didnt see the Hornet listed.
Im still wondering how the hornet compares in sound to the Super Maxi Moy,and other amps out there.
:SR80 Smile:

May 3, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #119 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by dzm
you could add www.evilfire.com ´s cMoys - they sell on ebay for 25 GBP

I can personally vouch for product sold at this website as that is the cMoy Variant that I am currently using. I opted for the Penguin Chocolate Mints Model.
It has a real good sound but I wish I had asked him to include the option of a DC Power Jack (preferably one that also recharges).
k1000smile.gif

May 3, 2006 at 12:26 AM Post #120 of 169
Quote:

Originally Posted by FTLOSM
For fun (I realize this has to be more of a toy) but has anyone tried one of these from Radioshack?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103656

Turn it up. Turn it up. Turn it up.
This volume booster works with most audio portables and delivers hi-fidelity stereo sound to one, two or three channels. Simply plug your headphones into the volume booster and listen to music, talk radio, audio books or a PC with two others--ideal when traveling by plane, car, bus or train.

Model: 33-1109
Catalog #: 33-1109
Price $21.99

----------------------------------------------------------------------
I haven't dabbled into adding an amp to my Rio S50 yet and am about to order up a set of Senn HD 595's and most likely a base level portable amp, but I thought for a few bucks this maybe fun to play with one afternoon...

Anyone here who has tried one for fun?

Bill
smily_headphones1.gif

I did try one of these for my first Headphone Amp and was very disappointed with the results.
One of the biggest problems was the lack of any kind of volume control on the amp which forces me to control the volume with my head unit.
This is also one of the biggest drawbacks to the boosteroo amp that I saw someone post about as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back