Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 22, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #3,947 of 4,373
The PM-3 is build like a tank. Very solid aluminium 

Definitely a premium headphone, not only in design but also in sound

I don't believe the HP 50 is above the PM3 and the P7 

I had the momentum to and 2.0 for 30 days, and p7 for 14 .... the momentum were lovely, intimate, structure a little 'fragile and downs a little distressed when driven properly, why then I opted for the p7 deep bass, but the absence of the middle of the fantastic .... m2 soundstage WORLD (for a closed) but the I found it very very hard to keep in your head, clutched, and listen .... the bass and treble opened up the stage but at the same time they brought my ears on the roller coaster. I liked it for 400 € I wanted a mix between m2 and p7 .... I thought pm3 .... I fear only that they are less suitable in the p7 watching movies, that I often see in the evening with my headphones .... bah

Mar 22, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #3,948 of 4,373
I've tried the PM-3 for movies and video games a few times. It performs well. The only matter comes from my soundcard (Asus DX) which maybe limits the headphone, especially in the bass area. Otherwise the mids are wonderful, vocals are natural and accurate. Also it depends the game (older game often have poor sound quality...) or the movie (torrent movies are known to have bad or "not so great" sound quality due to compression, comparing to an original blu-ray for instead)

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:17 AM Post #3,949 of 4,373
Finally have about 60 hours burn-in on the P7. Prior to the burn-in, I felt that the bass was overpowering the mids and treble too much (although the bass was glorious to my ears). But since the burn-in, I am hearing more of balance between the three frequencies although the bass still takes the lead. I think the bass is some of the best I've heard in a closed portable headphone. It's what I would term "audiophile bass." 

I still haven't had a chance to compare the HP50 with the P7, but I actually don't think that I need to do that. I already know that the HP50 is more of a mid-centric headphone, whereas the P7 is more bass focused (but it's not doesn't obscure the mids or treble to my ears). I don't think it is fair to say one is better than the other. Both are fantastic! It's all about one's preferred sound signature. I like different sound signatures (even if I prefer great bass more times than not). So the P7 doesn't make me want to get rid of the HP50 or vice versa.  Do I need my X1 or Onkyo portable headphones now?  Or do I need my MSR7? Probably not. I will probably sell those three or give them to family members.  The HP50 and P7 settles my portable need. Still, the best headphone I own now is the (non-portable) HE-560. I think I'm pretty content with headphones at this point (although I do have that TH-00X coming in soon). 

So, yes, I think the P7 is a great sounding portable headphone that's been put together quite well. Happy listening. 

Mar 23, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #3,950 of 4,373
HERE I AM HERE .... PM -3 arrived this morning ...
earliest impressions, will follow the other. I state an audiophile NOT EVEN TO FAR, I have no passion for the music (not in the strict sense), but for objects made well, with a sober sense of aesthetics, combined with the quality of the material, and the functional absolute quality.
Before taking Oppo PM3 (which I will not return because the seller has not made as amazon of politics, but who sold me with a discount of € 100 on the list) I tried Momentum 2.0 Over Ear, and B & W P7 ... .
it may establish different rankings for qesto three models, with a result different each time: one of the best materials, comfort, audio performance, the value for money, quality "audiophile", there would never be the same winner for this ranking but even we can say that these headphones are equivalent, indeed!
Momentum 2.0 Over Ear -----> Thanks to these wonders I have found that a headset can give great satisfaction, the quality of materials, the average full-bodied bass present, a high price, but not exaggerated, have made that I thought "let alone more expensive headphones!" why deprive me of the possibility (adding 100 euro) to try something qualitatively superior?
Bowers & Wilkins P7 -------> TOP MATERIALS. these were the apotheosis of listening, even lontananemte a "flat" sound, but the most exciting of all, a set of "defects" scientifically speaking that approach to perfection! bass, heavy, defined, in support of the wider soundstage I have ever heard in a closed headphone, the wider area of ​​the three under consideration, heels, in times thicker too keen and sharp, and a combination of factors: a little uncomfortable pavilions with hard, low a little intrusive, high a little strong, and higher budget (for me) have led me to say, it takes me 50 euro close to P7, I can try the experience magnetoplanare closed .....
OPPO PM-3 ---------> to them I contacted the importer Oppo Digital for Italy, with a return policy significantly more restrictive than amazon and apple store, but curiosity and confidence in the reviewers, have led me to this act of unconditional love, and I ordered, aware that they can no return, so I realized that at the end in this price range to long no choice turns out to be very wrong. but we come to these PM-3 is said that what is not leather could not also be quality! In fact, although the build quality synthetic and packaging of these oppo skin is superior to P7 that bring with them, however, the charm of the real leather scent.
These PM-3 have worn the M2 synthesis for mordibezza, and p7 for the reception halls. The audio quality, for me that I was from p7 has "crowded out". PM3 has a wide sound stage (p7 more), has a very controlled audio, polite, composed, defined, all sounds like must, too, there is the low until the string vibrates, the voice is until breath pushes, acute never comes to pinch your eardrums .... not thrilled, but excited for perfection and the composure of the end result, i do not know if the "burn in" will change anything, i had taken from amazon, pERHAPS I would have changed to return to p7
although I can safely conclude that P7 and PM3 represent the face of the same coin, on one hand the perfection of a subjective interpretation, on the other, objective and scientific perfection.
rationally choosing which identifies me is oppo, but my eardrums fell in love madly in B & W that at this point can not be the mother of my children! : D

Mar 24, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #3,951 of 4,373
HERE I AM HERE .... PM -3 arrived this morning ...

earliest impressions, will follow the other. I state an audiophile NOT EVEN TO FAR, I have no passion for the music (not in the strict sense), but for objects made well, with a sober sense of aesthetics, combined with the quality of the material, and the functional absolute quality.

Before taking Oppo PM3 (which I will not return because the seller has not made as amazon of politics, but who sold me with a discount of € 100 on the list) I tried Momentum 2.0 Over Ear, and B & W P7 ... .

it may establish different rankings for qesto three models, with a result different each time: one of the best materials, comfort, audio performance, the value for money, quality "audiophile", there would never be the same winner for this ranking but even we can say that these headphones are equivalent, indeed!
Momentum 2.0 Over Ear -----> Thanks to these wonders I have found that a headset can give great satisfaction, the quality of materials, the average full-bodied bass present, a high price, but not exaggerated, have made that I thought "let alone more expensive headphones!" why deprive me of the possibility (adding 100 euro) to try something qualitatively superior?
Bowers & Wilkins P7 -------> TOP MATERIALS. these were the apotheosis of listening, even lontananemte a "flat" sound, but the most exciting of all, a set of "defects" scientifically speaking that approach to perfection! bass, heavy, defined, in support of the wider soundstage I have ever heard in a closed headphone, the wider area of ​​the three under consideration, heels, in times thicker too keen and sharp, and a combination of factors: a little uncomfortable pavilions with hard, low a little intrusive, high a little strong, and higher budget (for me) have led me to say, it takes me 50 euro close to P7, I can try the experience magnetoplanare closed .....
OPPO PM-3 ---------> to them I contacted the importer Oppo Digital for Italy, with a return policy significantly more restrictive than amazon and apple store, but curiosity and confidence in the reviewers, have led me to this act of unconditional love, and I ordered, aware that they can no return, so I realized that at the end in this price range to long no choice turns out to be very wrong. but we come to these PM-3 is said that what is not leather could not also be quality! In fact, although the build quality synthetic and packaging of these oppo skin is superior to P7 that bring with them, however, the charm of the real leather scent.

These PM-3 have worn the M2 synthesis for mordibezza, and p7 for the reception halls. The audio quality, for me that I was from p7 has "crowded out". PM3 has a wide sound stage (p7 more), has a very controlled audio, polite, composed, defined, all sounds like must, too, there is the low until the string vibrates, the voice is until breath pushes, acute never comes to pinch your eardrums .... not thrilled, but excited for perfection and the composure of the end result, i do not know if the "burn in" will change anything, i had taken from amazon, pERHAPS I would have changed to return to p7

although I can safely conclude that P7 and PM3 represent the face of the same coin, on one hand the perfection of a subjective interpretation, on the other, objective and scientific perfection.
rationally choosing which identifies me is oppo, but my eardrums fell in love madly in B & W that at this point can not be the mother of my children! : D

Make sure you burn in and use good quality sources !

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #3,952 of 4,373
Make sure you burn in and use good quality sources !

many say they burn, others say it is not something really useful, also how ?! (How long do I have to? Be continued? At what volume I keep them?) L I wrote: are the impressions of the first 30 minutes, and in addition with iPhone 5s .... but obviously the DNA of 3 pm and p7 they are really different, a relaxing, the other more impact, a more intimate listening, the other that replicates a concert hall ...

Mar 24, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #3,954 of 4,373
many say they burn, others say it is not something really useful, also how ?! (How long do I have to? Be continued? At what volume I keep them?) L I wrote: are the impressions of the first 30 minutes, and in addition with iPhone 5s .... but obviously the DNA of 3 pm and p7 they are really different, a relaxing, the other more impact, a more intimate listening, the other that replicates a concert hall ...

It's true that the merits of burn in are debatable, but don't make your final verdict about equipment until you do it. Some people do about 100 hours. Also I stress that pm3 is very true to the source, so better sources make the headphones sound much better. This is called scaling well.

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #3,955 of 4,373
Yes always give a headphone time on head before making a decision. It doesn't matter what the mechanism of change you believe in is, be it mechanical burn-in or brain burn-in. It is irrelevant which way you think about change happening, what is relevant is that over time how we hear a headphone change as we are getting used to it. Mechanical, or brain mitigated, don't worry, just give it time.

Mar 24, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #3,956 of 4,373
Totally agree, I remember not been impressed by the PM-3s when I first got them, since I was so used to the mid bass hump on so many modern headphones, but after a few weeks I started to like what I was hearing.  

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #3,957 of 4,373
I bought the over-ear Senn M2's ($242) and the Senn HD439 ($42). The HD439 fit my needs better and saved me $200.

Yes, the M2's sounded better, with very pleasant mids and low end. The build quality was great. And I could see the comfort being very good if my ears were 10% smaller (amazingly soft pads). But like so many before me, they were too small and that was that. I also found the headband padding inadequate. I can't fault the M2's for not fitting me, just make sure you either try them out first or buy with a good return policy.

I had previously owned the HD449's and thought they were a great value. They were a little creaky, the pleathers got sweaty after a while, and the cable wasn't replaceable. The latter was their downfall after several years, so a removable cable was mandatory moving forward. I also loved the mid-centric and "quick" sound (seemingly short transients).

Enter the HD439's. Slightly more comfortable than the HD449's because of the velour, and leaps better than the M2 for me since they actually fit. Were my ears smaller, the M2's would likely be more comfortable than the HD439/449. The soundstage was wider than both the M2's and HD449's, and they sounded very "airy" to me. Not unrelated, the isolation of the HD439's was the weakest of the 3, but I still feel comfortable using them for public transit. Some of the clarity of the M2 was lacking on the HD439, and I wouldn't be surprised if the latter had a much higher THD. Still, I was surprised how close the HD439 came to the M2's sound-wise. There's something about the sound signature that makes me think, "meh"---and perhaps that's why they've had a lukewarm reception. But they check all my boxes, and I haven't found a better sounding headphone sub-$150

Mar 24, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #3,958 of 4,373
thanks guys for the advice! I'm listening to and slowly beginning to understand and appreciate them, are "different" from p7 but before telling good for my experience, I present a few impressions: I confirm the wasted opportunity to reach perfection by not putting the leather truth. the construction is excellent, but I have a doubt ... the arm and disarm the jack before each use is not likely to break quickly? we always talk about 500 € headphones I would not have to throw in 2-3 years! Meanwhile aspect still your experience with m2-p7 and these oppo pm3 .... when I miss the huge soundstage p7 of headphones closed with more effect "surround" I've ever heard

Mar 24, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #3,959 of 4,373
Well...I'm going to have three new additions to my original listing. Sonic Defender was kind enough to loan me his pair of XTZ Divine Wireless Headphones. I will also be adding the Puro Sound BT5200 Wireless Headphones and Beats Solo 2 Wireless. The past few months I've really come to appreciate the freedom that Bluetooth headphones provide!

Mar 24, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #3,960 of 4,373
  Well...I'm going to have three new additions to my original listing. Sonic Defender was kind enough to loan me his pair of XTZ Divine Wireless Headphones. I will also be adding the Puro Sound BT5200 Wireless Headphones and Beats Solo 2 Wireless. The past few months I've really come to appreciate the freedom that Bluetooth headphones provide!

Looking forward to your impressions mate! The Puro sounds very interesting. Once my Brainwavz HM5 pads arrive and I have a few days to play with them I'll send you the WS99BT and the pads to check out. It is about time that more people get aware of just how solid an option Bluetooth really is. If you ask me for true portable, non-obsessively enjoyment of music, Bluetooth makes way more sense than cables. I can't believe that my LG G3 and the H7 totally stand up well to the DP-X1 driving the PM3 balanced, but for pure use, they really do. I can't believe how amazing it is to be free of dragging my source around the house with me. Damn, that's some fine chili.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back