Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 26, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #3,961 of 4,373
Some musings on this thread.

I appreciate the work and input from the OP in this thread; however I find the subjective selection of headphones as questionable.  To me true portability rests with IEMs or buds, and for headphones maybe PX100 size, as these can fit in a pocket.  Once you include headphones the size of B&W P7, PSB M4U2, Momentum - Over ear and Aviators to name just a few, then the game changes considerably.  They need to be transported in a case/bag etc.
I believe that the Signature Pro has a higher quality sound than all of the headphones (my opinion) in this thread that I have heard.   Although sound quality is still subjective, no-one that has experience with a number of headphones (obviously the OP has) could state that the Sig Pro could not hold its own in this company.  I know that Headfiers will say that if you include headphones like the Sig Pro you may as well include all closed headphones, however tell me how the Sig Pro is less portable than the P7 or Aviators?  The Sig Pro folds flat and has a hard case ideal for portable use.  It also folds up and has a footprint no bigger than A P7.  My point here is that some larger headphones seem to be considered as portable and others clearly aren’t and the validation for selection is baseless.

On portable over-ear headphones, the Bose QC25 is not just the best ANC available headphone, it is the lightest and arguably one of the most comfortable (I know comfort will depend on the wearer), the sound quality is excellent and reaches far better than many headphones covered in this thread.
Good to see the OP has influenced the Bose Bashing mentality on Headfi, along with Beats Bashing the forum reminded me of a high school playground rant, coming from people that wanted to appear as knowledgeable and in the know with the “expert forum” as opposed to the main stream sucker public.

QC25 not a terrible headphone but overpriced compared to other offerings?  I think its portability, ANC, sound quality and signature make it very good value for money, and not just for airflight/travel, but for general portability (and general listening) where external noise is a factor.  And that just about is any portable situation.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #3,962 of 4,373

I appreciate the work and input from the OP in this thread; however I find the subjective selection of headphones as questionable.  To me true portability rests with IEMs or buds, and for headphones maybe PX100 size, as these can fit in a pocket.  Once you include headphones the size of B&W P7, PSB M4U2, Momentum - Over ear and Aviators to name just a few, then the game changes considerably.  They need to be transported in a case/bag etc.
I believe that the Signature Pro has a higher quality sound than all of the headphones (my opinion) in this thread that I have heard.   Although sound quality is still subjective, no-one that has experience with a number of headphones (obviously the OP has) could state that the Sig Pro could not hold its own in this company.  I know that Headfiers will say that if you include headphones like the Sig Pro you may as well include all closed headphones, however tell me how the Sig Pro is less portable than the P7 or Aviators?  The Sig Pro folds flat and has a hard case ideal for portable use.  It also folds up and has a footprint no bigger than A P7.  My point here is that some larger headphones seem to be considered as portable and others clearly aren’t and the validation for selection is baseless.

On portable over-ear headphones, the Bose QC25 is not just the best ANC available headphone, it is the lightest and arguably one of the most comfortable (I know comfort will depend on the wearer), the sound quality is excellent and reaches far better than many headphones covered in this thread.
Good to see the OP has influenced the Bose Bashing mentality on Headfi, along with Beats Bashing the forum reminded me of a high school playground rant, coming from people that wanted to appear as knowledgeable and in the know with the “expert forum” as opposed to the main stream sucker public.

QC25 not a terrible headphone but overpriced compared to other offerings?  I think its portability, ANC, sound quality and signature make it very good value for money, and not just for airflight/travel, but for general portability (and general listening) where external noise is a factor.  And that just about is any portable situation.

This forum was very useful for me in the choice of headphones, but we would need a premise: there are headphones that sound objectively at large (see oppo and b & o h6) and others that sound subjectively great, in the sense they have the most pronounced signatures than the other (p7-bose etc etc). have a more pronounced signs / custom is not to say more and not be a good headphone indeed! but to advise objectively headphones I think we should refer to "flat" parameters also because the subjective sonic signature, as the word says, is subjective and so what I like may not appeal to you. as I said before I oppo pm3 which currently does not excite me in listening, yet it speaks very well about, are among the most expensive, are "flat" ones I liked the most ?! the p7 and qc bags 25. But now I have bent over backwards for oppo, I know you are great, I'm educating my ears to appreciate ....

Mar 26, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #3,963 of 4,373

Agree with a lot of what you said but over ear headphones don't necessarily need a case-I wear mine around my neck or I'm listening to them at all times. They don't fit into my pocket like IEMS but IEMs fall out of my ears constantly when I use them and are basically a PITA. 

Mar 26, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #3,964 of 4,373
@Kernmac ultimately what portable is depends on the user; however, I do agree that there has to be reasonable effort to quantify what a portable is. I think the OP has done so and I think that as long as the headphone is used as a portable, and or the design intention of it reasonably included portability it is fair game. I used the DT 770 as my portable for well over a year. Without a doubt, I don't think it is a portable headphone by design, but it functioned well in that capacity. I didn't carry a case. Consider Bluetooth headphones, you can make a case that portability is at least part of the design goals of cable-free headphones, yet my B&O H7, or WS99BT are both clearly on the larger side of the spectrum.

I think it becomes problematic when size is the defining characteristic we use to "select" for portability. I have never heard any of the Bose headphones personally, but I do avoid ANC headphones purposefully as I have no interest in paying for a feature I would never use. I'm sure the Bose you mentioned is a very nice headphone, but I was unclear what your point was? Did that particular headphone not get included at all inn the OPs list, or not rated as highly as you felt it deserved?

Mar 26, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #3,965 of 4,373
I have been part of this thread for a while. I have chatted with Peter about various hp's that haven't made the list and for the most part we agree on some criteria for portable. For example, the AK T5P is an awesome hp but it doesn't totally fit on this list. It doesn't fold, doesn't have a carry case, it is however is driven by portable players, and some may consider to use it as portable by that criteria alone. Also, open design doesn't fit because they just aren't good for portable use in all environments. Also, size does factor in to the portable equation, but that is preference. This is not a thread for iem's while they are, without a doubt, the most portable of all hp's. Really you should start at the beginning it is not really necessary to read the entire thread but you will see what prompted Peter to develop it and kinda can guess the criteria.

I think another great example is the Meze 99 I have. I wouldn't use it as a portable, it just doesn't check off enough portable boxes, on a side note, I do rather enjoy it though 

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #3,966 of 4,373

That's why headphones like the P7s got a lower score for portability. As much as I loved their look and sound, their lack of portability had me selling them off. The Signature Pros aren't to my liking and are quite large and even though they fold down, their carrying case is even larger than the P7s. Personally I preferred the P7s sonically.

The QC25s are quite good, comfortable, light and offer the best ANC I've heard bar none. Agreed. there completely! Speaking of Beats...I will be updating this listing with the Beats Solo 2 (Wireless). I'm quite happy to see that they can be used either wirelessly over Bluetooth or plugged in (the old fashioned way).

Mar 26, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #3,967 of 4,373
Just updated for the XTZ Divine Bluetooth Headphones in case anyone is interested!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-26-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

Next up, Beats Solo 2 Wireless and the Audeze SINE (the SINE may be a while though as I'll be reviewing them for Headphone.Guru as well).

Mar 26, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #3,968 of 4,373
Thanks Macedonianhero! I think that is an enormously difficult task trying to come up with a ranking and keep all of those notes and impressions in order. Next up the WS99BT, and hopefully the B&O H7 gets t you soon. The H7 I think is the most sophisticated and mature sounding. Glad you enjoyed the Divine.

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #3,969 of 4,373
  Thanks Macedonianhero! I think that is an enormously difficult task trying to come up with a ranking and keep all of those notes and impressions in order. Next up the WS99BT, and hopefully the B&O H7 gets t you soon. The H7 I think is the most sophisticated and mature sounding. Glad you enjoyed the Divine.

Thanks again for the loaner! 

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:23 AM Post #3,970 of 4,373
Just updated for the XTZ Divine Bluetooth Headphones in case anyone is interested!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/672743/comparisons-26-of-the-top-closed-portable-headphones-around#post_9622611

Next up, Beats Solo 2 Wireless and the Audeze SINE (the SINE may be a while though as I'll be reviewing them for Headphone.Guru as well).
I see you mention in passing the Puro 5200 Bluetooth but I can't find more impression on them. There seems to be many clones as well. Can you comment more on them?

Mar 27, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #3,971 of 4,373
Sorry for butting in, but between the V-Moda XS and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's (over-ear), which would you say is the better choice?

I'm looking for something in the ~$200 range, give or take (Momentums are currently $240 on Amazon), and I'd be taking these to and from school, especially during bus rides (which can often get noisy). Additionally, I'd probably be using these at home as well... actually, I'd probably be using these as my only headphone. I'm getting a tired of using stock Apple EarPods, and I decided it's time to make the jump. There isn't any genre I listen to in particular, but I do lean very slightly towards dance.

From what I've heard, the V-Modas are a lot more closer to earbuds in terms of portability, but they're military-grade, right? The customizable shields and tiny exoskeleton case are a huge plus for me as well. These are the kind of headphones I'd be able to carry around everywhere due to its size alone. I've also heard great things about the sound on this thing; warm sound with strong bass and sparkly highs, and from the reviews I've read people are able to keep these on for hours at a time, too. The one downside is that the isolation is subpar, correct? Then again, I do need to stay alert even with headphones on...
Oh, and one more advantage the V-Modas have is the price: $150 versus $240.

The Sennheisers are a whole different breed from what I've heard; they're fuller over-ear headphones not specifically engineered towards portable use compared to the V-Modas, which are just insane in terms of portability. The upshot is that I get a roomier soundstage and drastically improved isolation, yes? These headphones are still relatively portable due to the foldable design, so I'd still be able to take these places, but it's still definitely closer to a pair of headphones than a pair of earbuds. Oh, and did I mention the design looks gorgeous? I have to confess, I've spent a lot of my time simply gushing over how beautiful this thing is. Actually, I think both of these headphones are beautiful...

Anyway, it would mean a lot to me if I could get some feedback on this. And additional suggestions for headphones in this price range?
I'm looking for a great overall headphone, but design (portability, durability, aesthetic appeal, and comfort) is a big part of this decision as well. If it doesn't look great, I'm pretty reluctant to drop my money on this.

Cheers!

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:33 PM Post #3,972 of 4,373

Anyway, it would mean a lot to me if I could get some feedback on this. And additional suggestions for headphones in this price range?

I think you have the assessment of the XS and the M just about perfect.

You could also consider the Beyerdynamic T51p. More comfortable than the XS, smaller than the Ms, sounds and looks better than either of them. Should be able to pick them up at a similar price. Of any of the headphones I own or have owned, they are the ones I would never let go of. They are just so versatile.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #3,973 of 4,373
I see you mention in passing the Puro 5200 Bluetooth but I can't find more impression on them. There seems to be many clones as well. Can you comment more on them?

Here is a link to them:

http://purosound.com/collections/headphones/products/puro-sound-labs-bt5200-studio-grade-bluetooth-wireless-headphones

Puro Sound is newer on the scene. My review will be published first on Headphone.Guru and then I'll update it here. 
redface.gif

Sorry for butting in, but between the V-Moda XS and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0's (over-ear), which would you say is the better choice?

I'm looking for something in the ~$200 range, give or take (Momentums are currently $240 on Amazon), and I'd be taking these to and from school, especially during bus rides (which can often get noisy). Additionally, I'd probably be using these at home as well... actually, I'd probably be using these as my only headphone. I'm getting a tired of using stock Apple EarPods, and I decided it's time to make the jump. There isn't any genre I listen to in particular, but I do lean very slightly towards dance.

From what I've heard, the V-Modas are a lot more closer to earbuds in terms of portability, but they're military-grade, right? The customizable shields and tiny exoskeleton case are a huge plus for me as well. These are the kind of headphones I'd be able to carry around everywhere due to its size alone. I've also heard great things about the sound on this thing; warm sound with strong bass and sparkly highs, and from the reviews I've read people are able to keep these on for hours at a time, too. The one downside is that the isolation is subpar, correct? Then again, I do need to stay alert even with headphones on...
Oh, and one more advantage the V-Modas have is the price: $150 versus $240.

The Sennheisers are a whole different breed from what I've heard; they're fuller over-ear headphones not specifically engineered towards portable use compared to the V-Modas, which are just insane in terms of portability. The upshot is that I get a roomier soundstage and drastically improved isolation, yes? These headphones are still relatively portable due to the foldable design, so I'd still be able to take these places, but it's still definitely closer to a pair of headphones than a pair of earbuds. Oh, and did I mention the design looks gorgeous? I have to confess, I've spent a lot of my time simply gushing over how beautiful this thing is. Actually, I think both of these headphones are beautiful...

I'm looking for a great overall headphone, but design (portability, durability, aesthetic appeal, and comfort) is a big part of this decision as well. If it doesn't look great, I'm pretty reluctant to drop my money on this.

Cheers!

For size, the V-Moda's are the smallest here and sound pretty darn good. But from my rankings, you can see what I prefer (and why). 
wink.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #3,974 of 4,373

I think you have the assessment of the XS and the M just about perfect.

You could also consider the Beyerdynamic T51p. More comfortable than the XS, smaller than the Ms, sounds and looks better than either of them. Should be able to pick them up at a similar price. Of any of the headphones I own or have owned, they are the ones I would never let go of. They are just so versatile.

Ah, I've seen a CNET review on this, though I didn't really read the whole thing. They look pretty great! I'll have to read up on these later. So I have a few questions pertaining to these headphones:

- Do they fold?
- Where can I buy these? I'm in the U.S.
- What's the difference between the T51i and the T51p?
- Has there been any newer models announced? It's been around two years since its announcement, right?
- These headphones are pretty slick. Wait, this isn't a question...

Thanks!

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:18 PM Post #3,975 of 4,373
For what you are describing you would use them for specifically or actually between your two choices despite your use I would choose the M2 over the XS. Both are great choices, the XS do not isolate very well, that is their biggest issue. Check Amazon for a "like new" pair of M2's they usually have some available. You can save a couple of dollars and Amazon has a great return policy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back