Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 8, 2016 at 8:43 AM Post #3,886 of 4,373
thanks for the reply!
oppo would have been my first choice, but it is virtually impossible to have them in Italy, and the cost would be 200 euro more of p7 .... it's worth it?

my listening style:
I am not very often in the street, but mainly in the office and at home couch or bed, so portability is not a thing of first importance.
I love different kinds of music.
Obviously I like bass present, but not exaggerated, average present, balanced and high, all with adequate volume and a lot of definition.

ah .... I had also forgotten the B & O H6 !!!!
including those mentioned should always keep p7?

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #3,887 of 4,373
thanks for the reply!
oppo would have been my first choice, but it is virtually impossible to have them in Italy, and the cost would be 200 euro more of p7 .... it's worth it?

my listening style:
I am not very often in the street, but mainly in the office and at home couch or bed, so portability is not a thing of first importance.

I love different kinds of music.

Obviously I like bass present, but not exaggerated, average present, balanced and high, all with adequate volume and a lot of definition.

ah....avevo dimenticato anche le B&O H&!!!! 

You should then consider open cans too. But pm3 is $399 usd . You can import from eBay or their website, or do you want to try them first?

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #3,888 of 4,373
You should then consider open cans too. But pm3 is $399 usd . You can import from eBay or their website, or do you want to try them first?

oppo are imported almost 700 euro! Audio is truly superior to the point of costing 300 euro in more than p7? I did not pass the 400-500 maximum threshold.
What about B & O h6 compared to p7? should return them and take h6?
P.S.
Also m2 were beautiful, but compared to p7 do count them one step below both as construction, which as audio

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #3,890 of 4,373
oppo are imported almost 700 euro! Audio is truly superior to the point of costing 300 euro in more than p7? I did not pass the 400-500 maximum threshold.
What about B & O h6 compared to p7? should return them and take h6?
P.S.

Also m2 were beautiful, but compared to p7 do count them one step below both as construction, which as audio

I actually like the p7 very much, but if you're only listening indoors and isolation isn't important, then you might want to consider open backed headphones too such as Grado, or Sennheiser hd 600, 650 etc.

Mar 8, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #3,891 of 4,373
I actually like the p7 very much, but if you're only listening indoors and isolation isn't important, then you might want to consider open backed headphones too such as Grado, or Sennheiser hd 600, 650 etc.

I fear that open can annoy my girlfriend sleeping while I watch a movie sull'pad, or to listen to my music while I work. I never had open headphones do not actually know the trouble they can give.

so you think p7 are fine as closed headphones?
even compared to m2 and h6?
the idea of the open headphone teases me, because I know that at price parity sound much better ...

Mar 8, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #3,892 of 4,373
I fear that open can annoy my girlfriend sleeping while I watch a movie sull'pad, or to listen to my music while I work. I never had open headphones do not actually know the trouble they can give.

so you think p7 are fine as closed headphones?

even compared to m2 and h6?
the idea of the open headphone teases me, because I know that at price parity sound much better ...

The p7 is one of my favourite closed cans.

Mar 9, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #3,893 of 4,373
P7 are a lot of fun and the materials and construction are fantastic. Really good headphones IMO. 

I do prefer the sound of the pm3 (definitely not by 300 euros though!) and the fit too but the p7's were definitely made better and looked prettier too. 

Mar 9, 2016 at 2:50 AM Post #3,894 of 4,373
thank you guys! Well the view of the headphones is endless .... my research is hectic, I have only 9 days to evaluate the p7, in the meantime, how about mh40 (master & dynamic) and Denon MM400? are both beautiful, and for me to be a headset with a long life .... ps meanwhile p7 offer a very pleasing sound, with a very wide soundstage for a closed headphone deep bass that give rhythm and emphasis on music, and high which give rise to the inside voices of rhythm, will also be the charm of a prestigious brand like b & w but this headset with a well-defined character, is "playing music." his other proposals would be able to do the same? I apologize for the many questions (and if you want you can make me too) but the budget is important, I have a chance to try and return. I would not go wrong! good day friends!

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:38 PM Post #3,895 of 4,373
thank you guys! Well the view of the headphones is endless .... my research is hectic, I have only 9 days to evaluate the p7, in the meantime, how about mh40 (master & dynamic) and Denon MM400? are both beautiful, and for me to be a headset with a long life .... ps meanwhile p7 offer a very pleasing sound, with a very wide soundstage for a closed headphone deep bass that give rhythm and emphasis on music, and high which give rise to the inside voices of rhythm, will also be the charm of a prestigious brand like b & w but this headset with a well-defined character, is "playing music." his other proposals would be able to do the same? I apologize for the many questions (and if you want you can make me too) but the budget is important, I have a chance to try and return. I would not go wrong! good day friends!

The KEF M500 should be on your list. Long standing developing speakers, and the M500 is quite stunning. I only sold mine as at the time I wanted to go balanced and they did not have the wiring at the cup connector for this, but of the ones being discussed here for you, unless I missed something, only the PM3 is able to accept a balanced TRRS plug. I did have the PM3 for this reason, and yes, they are the real deal, but the KEF is also right up there in my view.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #3,896 of 4,373
I have been using a pair of KEF M400 the past week that I bought on sale at Visions Electronics in Canada and I actually am enjoying the heck out of it. It resolves some of the fit and weight issues I had with the M500. It's still not super secure but more portable than the M500. I also am really enjoying the signature. It has pretty deep bass, solid uncoloured mids and a sparkly but not harsh or sibilant treble. I think it may have a slightly larger sound stage than I remember the M500 having ( this is purely by memory though so I may be wrong).

Mar 10, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #3,897 of 4,373
I found a seller in Italy which is the oppo dealer (so he amazon, ebay it) has the oppo pm3 to 529 Euros. It looks not bad considering that returning the p7 should add "only" an additional 130 Euros. ma is an Italian seller and warranty 3 years. the difference in quality between p7 and pm3 justifies 130 euro ?! (Of course, always in your view). kef are better than p7?

Mar 10, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #3,898 of 4,373
.... the difference in quality between p7 and pm3 justifies 130 euro ?! (Of course, always in your view). kef are better than p7?

Everything depends on the sound signature you like and are looking for. I have only once heard the P7 and so briefly I can't provide any insight there sorry. The PM3 is a seductive headphone, very nice bass, rich mids, and hard to describe treble. The treble is rolled off, but after a short time getting used to this, you never feel like you are missing anything, and I don't think you are, it is just softer treble which is great for quite a bit of modern music that is somewhat bright and edgy anyway. The treble is without grain and will never fatigue. Regardless of how nice I make it sound, it won't be for everybody, Some people just want more sparkle in the treble and are willing to have some edge and grain in order to have that sparkle.

The KEF is voiced very nicely. A few people have remarked that it sounds close to speakers, kind of like the NAD HP50 and the "room feel" they were going for. I owned the HP50 and I would have to say the KEF was more engaging. As good as the HP50 is, it does seem a little dull. The KEF will be a little bit more energetic sounding than the PM3 from memory, but the PM3 has a very nice tonality as well so for me it is a toss up, I would be very happy with either one. I say trust your gut and just try a signature that you think is worth trying. You take a gamble anyway and no matter what others say, how well they say it, how many headphones they have owned, ultimately only experience and trial will tell you what is right for you.

You are discussing three very nice headphones so any gamble is a reasonable one to take. I gamble all the time and buy stuff I have never heard, part of the hobby for me, and to date I have never regretted a single purchase. Some I have liked better than others, but I have never purchased something I didn't like. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Mar 10, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,900 of 4,373
  Everything depends on the sound signature you like and are looking for. I have only once heard the P7 and so briefly I can't provide any insight there sorry. The PM3 is a seductive headphone, very nice bass, rich mids, and hard to describe treble. The treble is rolled off, but after a short time getting used to this, you never feel like you are missing anything, and I don't think you are, it is just softer treble which is great for quite a bit of modern music that is somewhat bright and edgy anyway. The treble is without grain and will never fatigue. Regardless of how nice I make it sound, it won't be for everybody, Some people just want more sparkle in the treble and are willing to have some edge and grain in order to have that sparkle.

The KEF is voiced very nicely. A few people have remarked that it sounds close to speakers, kind of like the NAD HP50 and the "room feel" they were going for. I owned the HP50 and I would have to say the KEF was more engaging. As good as the HP50 is, it does seem a little dull. The KEF will be a little bit more energetic sounding than the PM3 from memory, but the PM3 has a very nice tonality as well so for me it is a toss up, I would be very happy with either one. I say trust your gut and just try a signature that you think is worth trying. You take a gamble anyway and no matter what others say, how well they say it, how many headphones they have owned, ultimately only experience and trial will tell you what is right for you.

You are discussing three very nice headphones so any gamble is a reasonable one to take. I gamble all the time and buy stuff I have never heard, part of the hobby for me, and to date I have never regretted a single purchase. Some I have liked better than others, but I have never purchased something I didn't like. Good luck in whatever you decide.

thank you all for the answers and friendship! really evaluate various solutions with you is a pleasure! Now kef .... after so many evaluations is a bit like going back to the crux of the situation: over the appearance, I need a couple of "final" in the sense that headphones are durable, and audio quality that they do not wish other models. so at this point it does not seem so indispensable to spend 400 euro if it comes to a closed headphone that meets these requirements, I know m50 give satisfaction, as well as pro DT770 80 ohms .... at this point I would understand if the three large groups
1) DT770 or m50
2) kef + momentum
3) B & W p7 Denon hh400 master & dynamic mh40 and Oppo pm3
differing only in the look cool (meteriali + design), or if a real difference of 250 Euros as between a p7 and a DT770 is so well marked as audio quality .... I can not listen to everyone, but I trust expert of your ears!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back