Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 3, 2016 at 7:29 AM Post #3,856 of 4,373
  You can use the Tidal streaming service for high res audio just fyi.

Also while on the topic of high res audio and different sources, I'm just gonna say that different headphones will make a MUCH more noticeable change than swapping to a high res audio player. I'd definitely just stick with your ipad and phone for the time being until you get some headphones you really enjoy. Then you can decide whether it's worth getting a new audio player or not. 
smily_headphones1.gif

As for headphones, the mdr-1a (haven't tried the dac version) is a fun headphone with a nice soundstage and they're ridiculously comfy.
H6 have a more nicely balanced sound although with a lot less bass kick than the 1a which makes them sound a little less fun, albeit a little more natural though, pretty much the same comfort although they do cost a lot more.
M2 I didn't hear for too long but they seemed to be about in the middle of the 1a and the h6. Less bass oriented than the 1a but not quite as balanced as the h6 imo. A little less comfy than both (still comfortable) but also quite expensive. 

That's my 2c on a few of those choices!

1A probably more bass, but uncontrolled, not solid & punchy. H6 is much more solid & punchy from what I remember & heard though

Mar 3, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #3,857 of 4,373
  That is really good advice and thanks for pointing me to that forum, sounds pretty interesting. I will likely just continue using my iPad and iPhone anyway as it is more convenient. As far as repurchasing music library, I was thinking of a high res audio stream, but I will do a test first like you suggested (as soon as I get a pair of nice headphones to actually hear the differences). Now if I could only make up my mind about which headphones to actually buy :) . Perhaps a visit to the store may help, but I am very intrigued by the mdr-1adac. Will have to check out the M2s, and the H6 as well (and now I am reading about NAD HP50...). Though for a newbie like me I'm doubtful I will even hear any differences right away at the store.  

Check out Meze 99 Classics as well, everyone is praising it now! I hope can try that out soon!

Mar 3, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #3,858 of 4,373
  Now if I could only make up my mind about which headphones to actually buy :) . Perhaps a visit to the store may help, but I am very intrigued by the mdr-1adac. Will have to check out the M2s, and the H6 as well (and now I am reading about NAD HP50...). Though for a newbie like me I'm doubtful I will even hear any differences right away at the store.  

Do you by chance use a Smartphone, or Bluetooth enabled DAP? Is so I think the XTZ Divine is an excellent sounding portable at only $179US. It is on ear, but for many that isn't an issue. The Divine sounds good enough that I was able to sell my PM3 recently. Now, it doesn't sound as good as the PM3, bare in mind the PM3 is a stunningly good headphone even with the softer treble (perhaps because of that) but the Divine gets very close to it and for a portable you have no wires! If you use a portable for out and about in the same manner I do, commuting on public transport, no wires is a huge deal, or recently in some snowstorms up here, my pocket was closed so I didn't need to worry about snow blowing into it and getting my DAP wet.

The only limitation that I feel need be mentioned is that for me the Divine, and also ATH WS99BT, don't go quite loud enough. It also has to be mentioned that I have never met anybody who plays the music quite as loud as I prefer (yes I still have good hearing) so the odds of too many others finding the volume too low is unlikely. I'm just now testing out the WS99BT and so far I'm quite impressed. I had no idea that Bluetooth could sound this good.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #3,859 of 4,373

1A probably more bass, but uncontrolled, not solid & punchy. H6 is much more solid & punchy from what I remember & heard though

I dunno, I tried the h6 again 2 days ago and I didn't really find the bass punchy at all. It was just a touch too weak for my tastes. I was coming from my oppo pm-3's but I've heard the 1a's quite a few times now. It is less controlled than the h6 but I think it has a bit more punch as well. 

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:18 AM Post #3,860 of 4,373
  I dunno, I tried the h6 again 2 days ago and I didn't really find the bass punchy at all. It was just a touch too weak for my tastes. I was coming from my oppo pm-3's but I've heard the 1a's quite a few times now. It is less controlled than the h6 but I think it has a bit more punch as well. 

For sure, the 1As have punch, and at modest volumes the bass will behave better, but the second they get loud, and or fed bass heavy music the bass gets uncontrolled. That is why I sold mine and moved to the KEF M500 which I found quite a bit better than the 1A. Loved the PM3, those have some serious bass and only start to get boomy at high volume (all closed headphones will to some extent due to being fully enclosed). And when the PM3 get boomy, it is nothing like the muddiness of a really poorly controlled bass response, it is mostly enclosure effects as far as I can hear.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:41 PM Post #3,861 of 4,373

Check out Meze 99 Classics as well, everyone is praising it now! I hope can try that out soon!

I'm hoping to get a loaner pair to add to this listing. They were currently out of stock (I guess that's a good sign). Hope to have a pair in by month's end.

Mar 3, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #3,862 of 4,373
I just got a refurbished Momentum 2.0 for a great price -- $130. The sound is great...the style is great...blah blah blah. The problem is, they feel uncomfortable after not too long. Not sure if I have too large of ears (or the pads have smaller openings than others...or they don't play well with wearing glasses...or what. All I know is, after 15 minutes I'm readjusting and rubbing my ears (which are quite red from being smushed).

So --- are there replacement pads I should try? Or another set of cans I should try? I opted for them because this thread touted their great isolation (I'm trying to avoid using ANC on a plane if I can help it).

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #3,864 of 4,373
Around the ears.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #3,865 of 4,373

So --- are there replacement pads I should try? Or another set of cans I should try? I opted for them because this thread touted their great isolation (I'm trying to avoid using ANC on a plane if I can help it).

The PM3 would have been a solid choice for that, they seal really well.

Mar 3, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #3,866 of 4,373
  The PM3 would have been a solid choice for that, they seal really well.

I may still give them a shot - I'm just trying to determine if they're $200+ "better" than the Momentum 2.0s, since I got such a great deal on those. But I guess you can't put a price on comfort. :)

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #3,867 of 4,373

I may still give them a shot - I'm just trying to determine if they're $200+ "better" than the Momentum 2.0s, since I got such a great deal on those. But I guess you can't put a price on comfort. :)

You should also consider that the PM3 has internal wiring on the cup for balanced so if you ever have, or want to try a balanced source you can. The PM3 is extremely well built, sounds awesome and as well build quality is superb. I don't really know about the M2 very much beyond that they improve over the M1 which was rather flat sounding to my ears. As I said, the M2 is supposed to be much better sounding.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #3,868 of 4,373
  You should also consider that the PM3 has internal wiring on the cup for balanced so if you ever have, or want to try a balanced source you can. The PM3 is extremely well built, sounds awesome and as well build quality is superb. I don't really know about the M2 very much beyond that they improve over the M1 which was rather flat sounding to my ears. As I said, the M2 is supposed to be much better sounding.

Yeah, I think I'm gonna return the M2s I just got. I also just returned some 9500s, so could apply both Amazon credits to the PM-3s and bring them down a fair amount.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:24 PM Post #3,869 of 4,373

Yeah, I think I'm gonna return the M2s I just got. I also just returned some 9500s, so could apply both Amazon credits to the PM-3s and bring them down a fair amount.

Hard to ever say the PM3 isn't a good choice. Just be aware that it has softer treble. It is hard to get your head around, but after a short time getting used to the treble, you realise it still feels highly detailed, It is grain free treble and never fatiguing. For all I know the M2 sounds better (although I haven't ever heard anybody say that) but the PM3 is extremely well respected with enough highly experienced members who consider them the best closed portable going right now, certainly at the $399 price point. Anyway, if you do go that route make sure to post in the PM3 discussions thread as I would be interested to hear what you think. If you can swing it for a short time, why not keep the M2, order the PM3 and compare, send back the one you like the least?

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #3,870 of 4,373
  Hard to ever say the PM3 isn't a good choice. Just be aware that it has softer treble.

The only way it could be softer than the M2's is if it was nonexistent.  The M2 is extremely rolled off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back