Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 3, 2016 at 11:32 PM Post #3,871 of 4,373
   If you can swing it for a short time, why not keep the M2, order the PM3 and compare, send back the one you like the least?

Because it's a comfort issue - not a sound issue. I do like the sound on the M2s, but I can't bring myself to listen to them for terribly long as my ears just get scrunched in there. I guess there's a chance that the PM-3s won't be any better, but smart money says they will...at least worth trying.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:34 PM Post #3,872 of 4,373

The only way it could be softer than the M2's is if it was nonexistent.  The M2 is extremely rolled off.

Well that would drive me insane.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #3,873 of 4,373
  Well that would drive me insane.

It's okay for what I use them for -- non-distracting background music at work.  But I wouldn't want to really sit and listen to music on them.

Mar 3, 2016 at 11:49 PM Post #3,874 of 4,373

It's okay for what I use them for -- non-distracting background music at work.  But I wouldn't want to really sit and listen to music on them.

Yikes, I'll bet that isn't the rousing endorsement Sennheiser wants. Shame when a company misses the mark so wide. It makes you wonder who signs off on the tuning? 

Mar 4, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #3,875 of 4,373
  Yikes, I'll bet that isn't the rousing endorsement Sennheiser wants. Shame when a company misses the mark so wide. It makes you wonder who signs off on the tuning? 

I do have middle-aged ears, but that's how they sound to me.  It's non-fatiguing and non-distracting, but not what I'd call "hi-fi."

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:20 AM Post #3,877 of 4,373

I do have middle-aged ears, but that's how they sound to me.  It's non-fatiguing and non-distracting, but not what I'd call "hi-fi."

I am almost 48 myself, but my hearing still seems to be quite good. I can still wince at brightness and get pissed off at really rolled off designs. The M1 was a bore, flat and rather lifeless, I'm just surprised as I had heard the M2 was actually quite a bit improved. I know we lose a little of our hearing acuity for the high frequencies, so what headphone do you find the treble extension adequate on?

Mar 4, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #3,878 of 4,373
  I am almost 48 myself, but my hearing still seems to be quite good. I can still wince at brightness and get pissed off at really rolled off designs. The M1 was a bore, flat and rather lifeless, I'm just surprised as I had heard the M2 was actually quite a bit improved. I know we lose a little of our hearing acuity for the high frequencies, so what headphone do you find the treble extension adequate on?

I still wince at highly sibilant 'phones (or recordings), myself.

Pretty much all the other cans in my sig have at least enough treble extension to get the job done.  The 9500s and 990s are quite V-shaped, and the Q701 lacks bass, but none of them lack treble.

Mar 4, 2016 at 10:36 AM Post #3,880 of 4,373
Are any of those closed and portable?

No, but he was just answering my question about his treble hearing acuity and those are all well known bright headphones, hence his use of them in the context of the question I posed to him. 

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:08 PM Post #3,881 of 4,373
Are any of those closed and portable?

The M2s are the only closed 'phones I own.  I much prefer open cans, but needed a closed pair for the office.

Mar 4, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #3,882 of 4,373

The M2s are the only closed 'phones I own.  I much prefer open cans, but needed a closed pair for the office.

Actually, this isn't true.  I have a pair of 280 Pros around here somewhere, but haven't listened to them in too long to characterize their sound.

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:34 AM Post #3,884 of 4,373
Hello everyone, I write from Italy, a country where the culture for the headphones is not particularly developed, even I, am not an audiophile, but thanks to you was born in me a passion for headphones. I bought a couple of sennhesier momentum over 2.0 ear, beautiful sound, and structure, but for 274 Euros I thought I could try more ... my choices are narrowed to: denon MM400, master & dynamic mh40, nad viso HP50, B & W p7 and outsiders mo fi blue.
the use is primarily a idevice: 6 plus iphone-ipad (for movies on demand) as well as the home system with tuner Yamaha RX600.
I am currently trying to b&w p7 with a very distinctive sound, a remarkable building, and large soundstage .... but, being in the 14 days granted by apple store, and costing so much, I would understand if you stop to this, or move forward in the search for my headset "definitive." Evidence I can not do because so much work and where I live there are no models so "specific"
What about?
P.S.
I also love sr325e and hifiman he400i but I know they are open
SORRY I ASK FOR MY ENGLISH.
THANK YOU GOOGLE TRANSLATE!

Mar 8, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #3,885 of 4,373
Hello everyone, I write from Italy, a country where the culture for the headphones is not particularly developed, even I, am not an audiophile, but thanks to you was born in me a passion for headphones. I bought a couple of sennhesier momentum over 2.0 ear, beautiful sound, and structure, but for 274 Euros I thought I could try more ... my choices are narrowed to: denon MM400, master & dynamic mh40, nad viso HP50, B & W p7 and outsiders mo fi blue.

the use is primarily a idevice: 6 plus iphone-ipad (for movies on demand) as well as the home system with tuner Yamaha RX600.

I am currently trying to b&w p7 with a very distinctive sound, a remarkable building, and large soundstage .... but, being in the 14 days granted by apple store, and costing so much, I would understand if you stop to this, or move forward in the search for my headset "definitive." Evidence I can not do because so much work and where I live there are no models so "specific"

What about?
P.S.

I also love sr325e and hifiman he400i but I know they are open
SORRY I ASK FOR MY ENGLISH.

THANK YOU GOOGLE TRANSLATE!

I can vouch for the B&W p7, try the oppo pm3 as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back