Comparisons: 36 of the Top Closed/Portable Headphones Around
Mar 10, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #3,901 of 4,373

thank you all for the answers and friendship! really evaluate various solutions with you is a pleasure! Now kef .... after so many evaluations is a bit like going back to the crux of the situation: over the appearance, I need a couple of "final" in the sense that headphones are durable, and audio quality that they do not wish other models. so at this point it does not seem so indispensable to spend 400 euro if it comes to a closed headphone that meets these requirements, I know m50 give satisfaction, as well as pro DT770 80 ohms .... at this point I would understand if the three large groups
1) DT770 or m50
2) kef + momentum
3) B & W p7 Denon hh400 master & dynamic mh40 and Oppo pm3
differing only in the look cool (meteriali + design), or if a real difference of 250 Euros as between a p7 and a DT770 is so well marked as audio quality .... I can not listen to everyone, but I trust expert of your ears!

I owned a DT 770 80ohm years ago. It was nice, but sadly so long ago that my memory isn't perfect, but in terms of portability it is the least portable in some ways (big and hot). The sound was nice, but I do not think it was as good as either the Oppo or KEF, but again, that is subjective, you may very well prefer it for all I know. What do you listen to, and what do you most value in a headphones sound? How important is portability and looks?

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #3,902 of 4,373
  I owned a DT 770 80ohm years ago. It was nice, but sadly so long ago that my memory isn't perfect, but in terms of portability it is the least portable in some ways (big and hot). The sound was nice, but I do not think it was as good as either the Oppo or KEF, but again, that is subjective, you may very well prefer it for all I know. What do you listen to, and what do you most value in a headphones sound? How important is portability and looks?

the most important value in a headset is the definition of sound, well-defined, detailed, wide soundstage, the presence of low (not exaggerated, but present) the definition of voices and instruments.
They must be closed to use them without problems when I want, and portable, not hugely, but enough, as always travel with my Eastpack backpack, then large enough.
The cost that does not exceed the price of the oppo pm3

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:20 AM Post #3,903 of 4,373
+1 Oppo PM-3 - They are truly an all-rounder. They will sound great with an iPhone as well as an uber dollar amp. You can wear them on the go, or at home.  i have the Alpha Prime at home and but if I had to decide on only one pair of headphones for everything - PM-3 would be my choice.

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:27 AM Post #3,904 of 4,373
  the most important value in a headset is the definition of sound, well-defined, detailed, wide soundstage, the presence of low (not exaggerated, but present) the definition of voices and instruments.
They must be closed to use them without problems when I want, and portable, not hugely, but enough, as always travel with my Eastpack backpack, then large enough.

You've convinced me! Monday give back b & w p7 Apple Store and will order pm-3, but these I can not return easily seen that the seller is not amazon, apple .... but they apparently should be really definitive headphones!
If I think for me 2 months ago € 200 headphones were folly, and now I spend 530 ... I go to the madhouse!
but I started in January with 274 € M2 ... then in February with 400 euro of p7 ... I conclude with a flourish with oppo pm.3 .... hopefully!

Mar 10, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #3,905 of 4,373

I recently went Bluetooth, selling my PM3 and expensive DP-X1. You might really like the XTZ Divine, Swedish design, very portable, well made and with a nice simple design. Very high sound quality and of course can be used with a smartphone. Also, at $179US quite a value. They are very detailed and articulate with vocals and actually have a nice sound stage, but keep in mind, closed headphones in general will not be as open staged as open backed headphones. The Divine is worth investigating as well.

Edit: or stick with the PM3, that is a great headphone.

Mar 11, 2016 at 3:58 PM Post #3,907 of 4,373
You could do a report card-esteem among the comparison between the akg akg 550 and 545?
Also there is in this ranking Yamaha HPH-PRO500? how you might classify in this ranking?

I'm trying to to figure out which headphones to take, to match it to my current Sony Walkman E585 (or maybe Fiio x1 if is much better) ... The most likely headphones that I am taking into consideration are the KEF M500 or the v-moda xs .. .
I listen to different music genre, orchestral, dance, chill out, new age, trance ... I wanted a balanced headphones ... Be aware that (my current NuForce 700 for me to have too mid.bass bass, treble and too shrill ...) i appreciate more the high-end, midshigh, with crystal clear sounds ... If the bass are present, but not overdone ...

Mar 11, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #3,908 of 4,373
  You could do a report card-esteem among the comparison between the akg akg 550 and 545?
Also there is in this ranking Yamaha HPH-PRO500? how you might classify in this ranking?

I'm trying to to figure out which headphones to take, to match it to my current Sony Walkman E585 (or maybe Fiio x1 if is much better) ... The most likely headphones that I am taking into consideration are the KEF M500 or the v-moda xs .. .
I listen to different music genre, orchestral, dance, chill out, new age, trance ... I wanted a balanced headphones ... Be aware that (my current NuForce 700 for me to have too mid.bass bass, treble and too shrill ...) i appreciate more the high-end, midshigh, with crystal clear sounds ... If the bass are present, but not overdone ...

I've owned both the XS and the M500, the M500 would easily be my choice without a moments hesitation. The XS is good, the KEF is excellent.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:14 AM Post #3,909 of 4,373
I have used the P7 for 2-3 years.  Last year I tried several new sets to find something different.  In the end I would say if you don't listen side by side, the P7, MM400, Momentum 2.0 and PM3 were all pretty equal.  I ended up returning all but the MM400, and now they have surpassed the P7 for me.  I use the MM400 all the time and I am considering selling the P7.  If you are happy with the sound and comfort of the P7 though, the  others are not greatly different.  But the hunt is part of the fun of this hobby.  Still, if you can't listen side by side, I find it difficult to compare.

Mar 12, 2016 at 10:24 AM Post #3,910 of 4,373
  I have used the P7 for 2-3 years.  Last year I tried several new sets to find something different.  In the end I would say if you don't listen side by side, the P7, MM400, Momentum 2.0 and PM3 were all pretty equal.  I ended up returning all but the MM400, and now they have surpassed the P7 for me.  I use the MM400 all the time and I am considering selling the P7.  If you are happy with the sound and comfort of the P7 though, the  others are not greatly different.  But the hunt is part of the fun of this hobby.  Still, if you can't listen side by side, I find it difficult to compare.

I tried p7 momentum after 2.0 over ear, and the difference I noticed. The differences are essentially:
P7 vs m2:
Soundstage markedly better p7
Low p7 more defined, less loose, most powerful
High acute p7, too
more uncomfortable to wear but with larger cups m2
m2vsP7
Average more present momentum, advanced in the scene
reduced soundstage, but better intimacy in the global scene
more comfortable to wear it with narrow cups

I would hate to broaden the dispute, but pm3 intrigues me very much

then the MM400 are better? in what?

Mar 12, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #3,911 of 4,373
Try the ATH WS99BT, it will surprise you very much. I was able to sell my PM3 without apprehension after getting it. I am now more convinced than ever that a smartphone with Bluetooth 4 apt X and a good apt X headphone like the WS99BT the sound quality is so good that I will never bother with an expensive DAP again, at least not for portable use. My LG G3 has solid Bluetooth and with the Divine or WS99BT I am as pleased with the sound quality for portable use as I was with the DP-X1 balanced driving the PM3. I am going to say it again, I feel strongly that in 5 years wired portable headphones will be the exception, not the rule. Even Audeze says they would consider a Bluetooth version of the Sine. Seriously people, try the WS99BT. For $214 it is a great value and sounds really, really good. So does the Divine at $179.

Mar 12, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #3,912 of 4,373
  Try the ATH WS99BT, it will surprise you very much. I was able to sell my PM3 without apprehension after getting it. I am now more convinced than ever that a smartphone with Bluetooth 4 apt X and a good apt X headphone like the WS99BT the sound quality is so good that I will never bother with an expensive DAP again, at least not for portable use. My LG G3 has solid Bluetooth and with the Divine or WS99BT I am as pleased with the sound quality for portable use as I was with the DP-X1 balanced driving the PM3. I am going to say it again, I feel strongly that in 5 years wired portable headphones will be the exception, not the rule. Even Audeze says they would consider a Bluetooth version of the Sine. Seriously people, try the WS99BT. For $214 it is a great value and sounds really, really good. So does the Divine at $179.

Wow--that is a heckuvan endorsement.  Getting rid of your PM-3. I will definitely be checking out the WS99BT when I get the chance.

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:00 PM Post #3,913 of 4,373

Wow--that is a heckuvan endorsement.  Getting rid of your PM-3. I will definitely be checking out the WS99BT when I get the chance.

I'm not saying the WS99BT is better, they are different enough, but what I am saying is that the WS99BT is quite good, and good enough that when combined with being free of those damn cables it was an easy decision to make. I would certainly encourage people to try the WS99Bt as with Amazon if you really don't like it, you can return it. If your phone or DAP has Bluetooth aptX you are set. Wired the WS99BT is still very nice to my ears. It actually has a fairly balanced signature and for those who like more treble than the PM3 it certainly offers that.

The PM3 has that seductive low level bass energy rumble that is very satisfying, but frankly I really don't find the WS99BT that far off and Bluetooth for portable is a HUGE advantage in my books. Forget all the people telling you Bluetooth sounds bad, listen and make up your own mind. If both source and headphone have apt X the sound quality is quite high, and did I mention no cables?

Mar 12, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #3,914 of 4,373
I have now reduced my "research" of 4 models, maybe 5, who have a different logic: p7 (hi end and original stamp); pm3 (technically superior definitive headset, the top), the downgrade: Momentum 2.0 (the most balanced solution / Rational) suitable for mobile use. The DT770 pro 80ohm to try a couple of respectable classical headphones and contain costs. outsider who teases hifiman 400. probably will keep the p7 those with more charm and character of the group.

Mar 13, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #3,915 of 4,373
  I've owned both the XS and the M500, the M500 would easily be my choice without a moments hesitation. The XS is good, the KEF is excellent.

Still it makes me laugh the contradictory judgments ...:D
I read several reviews online, and since I really appreciate the midrange and treble , I believed that the kef m500 to this topic are headphones that will buy in the future.
But many opinions are discordant, read this quote from another site:

some great aspects about the KEF M500. The bass and lows have good depth and extension. The mids are
strong and have a weighty presence in the mix. However they are unable
to paper over the shortcomings of the headphones such as its weak
trebles and a constricted soundstage that take away some of the gloss of
its audio performance.

This headphone from this topic received "5" in the "treble".
At various sites it is praised soundstage unusually average large (more than my other possible choice the V-Moda xs), but also this depends on your point of view.
I understand everything is relative, I know ... Hovewer...

---------
I am still undecided, if more than hold my sony walkman 585 or take the fiio x1 (because if the treble of dap X1 are subbed, not buy)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back