Comparison: HD600, MA900, DT 150 and SRH840
Sep 17, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #46 of 66
  The DT150 on my system challenges the best cans that i have heard....transparency...
scales like crazy this can.  Just installed the demo version of Audirvana2.0 on my MacAir,
whew...the sound realism is sooo palpable.  arrrghhhh...n i bought the DT150 for less than USD$1xx..
crazycrazycrazy.

i am beginning to think it is the source....cos when i demo the latest version of Audirvana2.0...
the DT150 sounded v CLEAR like a T1 that i have..the word "grainy" wont fit there n then.
i am making the above statement humbly n with trepidation...
u guys dun shoot me for the time being ok. ..just take it as euphoria at my end :)

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:15 AM Post #47 of 66
For fun I spent this week exclusively listening to the DT 150 until today, where I went back to the HD600.

DT 150 has more bass and a "thicker" sound. Fun and musical, but doesn't feel as accurate.
HD600 has more treble (and treble detail) without being harsh, and to my taste is much more balanced. It'd be nice with a bit more bass (am I going to have to eventually get the LCD-2s again?), but it's an easy tradeoff for me since I find it much better at most everything else.

Still, DT 150 isn't going anywhere (at least for the time being), as these two make a great complementary pair of cans.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM Post #48 of 66
take off the thick driverfoam

Oct 18, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #50 of 66
Well I have just received my DT150 and I can already say that they are the best €146 spent yet on a pair of headphones. Man do these deliver!
I should put some context to this. I am very much a Shure SRH940 man through and through. I love their darkness with the sparkling detail -  laid-back but with ability - they make for some drama and theatre.  And I have been searching the universe for an equivalent pair of closed cans of course - at the same price range - lets say €200, maximum €400.
In the last while I had Mad Dogs  -  no match though likeable enough and interesting. Way overpriced.
Then the Akai MPC 50mm  -  very pleasant and accurate but in need of base bolstering. Sound stage a little narrow and great isolation. A very endearing headphone. So I gave them to my niece.. as uncles do.
So for nearly 2 years the AKG K550 has been my walkabout headphone. And they are very capable with wide soundstage but although they have impressive bass they lack a little detail here and there that the 940s have.  But generally they were fairly closely matched, tough when at home and listening to classical and acoustic stuff the Shures would always get used.
Now the new baby has arrived. The  DT150 with its laboratory looks. But any apprehensions evaporate when you have them on your head. Pads are deep and comfy. The sound isolation is only ok - about that same as I recall the M50s being.
And then came the sound...
Man - these will take you where you wanna go. No matter what test you throw at them.
I always perk up my interest when I see a frequency response listed as 5hz-30Khz (just like the Shures).
Performance figures never tell the whole story but based on my experience a wide reading like this is bound to be interesting. And so it was.
But the real story is told in the frequency graph for the DT150 which this is not always the case. But with these cans we have an outrageous looking bump at the lower end (less that 200 Hz) and  from 200Hz upward it looks fairly conventional. The usual spike is around the 10Khz but not as high as with that of the 940s.
And that is exactly what is reflected in the sound.
The base is lovely and warm and might take an hour or two of burn-in to settle down. But it is so good. Thrilling! Never excessive to my ears bearing in mind I am not a basehead. I  love classical and acoustic stuff and monumental cello recordings are my all-round test pieces. With such sessions you should hear an immense range of sounds and feel like you stepped inside a huge cello. If you don't then your headphones are not up to it probably. That's my general test. And the DT150s are only the second set of cans to pass.
With the bass the DT150s are so exciting and musical while never interfering with the higher registers - clarity never suffers.
By comparison the SRH940s are very close in bass richness so neither headphone is lacking in this area.
At the other end, the higher frequencies are slightly trimmed back when we compare them with the Shures - just notable if you look for it but not really enough to matter - no way.
So I cannot decide right now which of these two are the best. It seems the 940s have finally found a sibling.
I should also say that when you amp the DT150s  - man they really launch straight off the platform and don t wait for nobody! They are no problem to drive even with the Fijo E11 amp and when I plugged them into an OKI tv amp they were great. They only need an extra notch of volume more than the 940s. More responsive that I recall the HD650 when I owned those cans.
Finally came the biggest surprise -  compared to the AKGs they made the K550s sound like a pair of cold tinny bean cans. It could not believe it.
So when I think of all the higher end stuff on the market - like T1,Audeze, HD800 etc - these two monsters I imagine will be a source of trouble for the sales of some of that expensive gear. Sure , maybe the HD800s are better than SRH940s or DT150 - but how much better? I have not had the privilege of sampling such expensive gear so anyone care to enlighten me?...
Meantime, the Shure SRH940 and DT150 will remain in the great hall of cellos. So delighted to get a sound signature like this at the price.

Oct 19, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #51 of 66
take the foam infront of the driver off, and the DT150 gains better clarity. 
And i added some cotton gauze stuffings under the pads to angle the drivers for better imaging.
(mine came with the dt100velorpads...gave a more neutral sound, less echo-y.

i love the dt150 v much too, thanks for the impression.

Oct 19, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #52 of 66
Everyone on this forum is definitely trying to kill my wallet. I have been looking for another set of headphones for a while, kind of leaning towards a closed pair. I attended the RMAF and the CanJam. It was wonderful. I came out of the CanJam loving the Audeze XC and really liking the Senn HD-650; I know they are totally differentl types of headphones. Too bad I did not see the DT-150 around when I was there. Now there is another pair to choose from, but impossible to actually listen to in person. Arg!

Oct 19, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #53 of 66
  Everyone on this forum is definitely trying to kill my wallet. I have been looking for another set of headphones for a while, kind of leaning towards a closed pair. I attended the RMAF and the CanJam. It was wonderful. I came out of the CanJam loving the Audeze XC and really liking the Senn HD-650; I know they are totally differentl types of headphones. Too bad I did not see the DT-150 around when I was there. Now there is another pair to choose from, but impossible to actually listen to in person. Arg!

Yup, that's one of the biggest problems with the DT 150, good luck finding anywhere you can audition them. I suppose you might possibly be able to find them at a pro audio type store, but they definitely aren't geared towards consumers at all.

Oct 19, 2014 at 11:20 PM Post #54 of 66
i loved the 940 for acoustics...but the bass is lacking, so it is gone.
The DT150 can rumble on your ears..and at times holographic with certain tube combos on my tubeamps. And once in awhile, i tot it rivalled my T1 for clarity..almost :p
This DT150 scales so well, just letting u hear what your upstream gears could generate.

Just love this aweful gangly looking can...unbreakable when rolled under a truck... :p

Oct 20, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #55 of 66
  i loved the 940 for acoustics...but the bass is lacking, so it is gone.
The DT150 can rumble on your ears..and at times holographic with certain tube combos on my tubeamps. And once in awhile, i tot it rivalled my T1 for clarity..almost :p
This DT150 scales so well, just letting u hear what your upstream gears could generate.

Just love this aweful gangly looking can...unbreakable when rolled under a truck... :p

MAN !! You have a D7K,HE-6,LCD-2.2 and u still pick DT150 above them ???

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #56 of 66
This thread is pretty informative, I'm having trouble deciding between the DT150 and HD600 (or maybe something else), Not sure why MrTechAgent has such a strong bias against Japanese headphones, it seems pretty logical a headphones signature is unique to itself so to lump together all Japanese headphones is quite uncalled for, though I do agree that most Audio Technica headphones I've heard do have a problem with treble/mids/timbre in general. Not sure why all the MA900 hate though, I've had a chance to compare them to the DT880 and besides extension at both ends of the spectrum the MA900 outperformed the DT880 in every area. Though I've sold my MA900 which I loved quite a bit, I'm not quite as happy with the HE-400i I've replaced them with and am currently using. The DT880 to me is a much more flawed headphone, way too much treble. It's easy to overlook excessive treble if your hearing isn't quite that good, but for those who can hear quite well it's a pretty colored headphone. 

But anyway, I'm concerned about the HD600 vs MA900. How much worse is the HD600s imaging/soundstage? I only got the HE-400i for the treble presence + clarity improvements, but the soundstage isn't quite what I want. I want something expansive and with a rich midrange, should I get the HD600 or save a few bucks and re-buy the MA900? Or is there any other good options? I'll have at least 400$ after I sell the HE-400i (which I plan to do soon) -- I'm not sure if I'd want the DT150, I'm sure its soundstaging isn't much better than the 400i

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #57 of 66
I can't think of a useful way to quantify how the HD600 soundstage compares to MA900 (beyond saying that the MA900 is more expansive). If your main focus is on the midrange, and you find the MA900 comfortable, that's probably what I'd recommend. I think the HD600 is more neutral and more technically proficient (and I find it more comfortable), but it doesn't sound like your focus is neutrality.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #58 of 66
Neutral is definitely not a bad thing, but natural is just as good. I think I'll go for the HD600, but having both doesn't seem like too bad an option since I can afford it.  MA900 is much more comfortable if you add headband material so the weight distribution is less focused.

Nov 3, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #59 of 66
  I can't think of a useful way to quantify how the HD600 soundstage compares to MA900 (beyond saying that the MA900 is more expansive). If your main focus is on the midrange, and you find the MA900 comfortable, that's probably what I'd recommend. I think the HD600 is more neutral and more technically proficient (and I find it more comfortable), but it doesn't sound like your focus is neutrality.

is it possible to make hd600 sings just from fiio e10 / or some meagre DAP like fiio x3. (more like fiio x1 in my case..)

Nov 3, 2014 at 2:06 PM Post #60 of 66

is it possible to make hd600 sings just from fiio e10 / or some meagre DAP like fiio x3. (more like fiio x1 in my case..)

I haven't heard the FiiO products, so I couldn't say for sure. From my casual tests it doesn't work well with a Clip+, sounds okay out of my phone (not necessarily great, but better than I was expecting; I have a Nexus 5), and is actually worse than I expected from my laptop (loud enough but didn't really sound good).

So...hopefully someone else will chime in, but to me it seems like they're not horribly demanding, but they do scale well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back