Comparison: HD600, MA900, DT 150 and SRH840
Sep 16, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #31 of 66
  may be they are using low quality membrane materials... that doesn't prove every Japanese dynamic headphone is grainy as you claim.

I agree, it does not prove it imo, many are grainy but by no means are they all grainy. Most cheaper headphones in general are quite grainy. Comparing numerous equivalent Japanese phones to others will give a better idea if they are actually more grainy or not, I've personally haven't listened to many mid-tier Japanese headphones, mainly just lower-end or high-end. The most grain-free dynamic I've ever heard is a Japanese headphone. The MA900 seemed to be a bit different than normal in terms of grain, it's like it shouldn't of been so grainy yet it was, I'm beginning to think it could be the impedance resistor that was bothering me.

Sep 17, 2014 at 7:03 AM Post #34 of 66

Yup, and no worries here; I'm just responding and further updating with what I can.

Even if someone has the exact opposite preferences from me I still enjoy reading their impressions; it's what makes this hobby interesting.

yeah dont worry about it. people perceive sounds differently is all... the point is that your review will definitely of help to some people...

Sep 17, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #35 of 66
Sep 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #36 of 66
  may be they are using low quality membrane materials... that doesn't prove every Japanese dynamic headphone is grainy as you claim.

You're absolutely right.......I'm with you on this one , I can't prove it but from my experience with a good amount of Japanese headphones I think it's a accurate assumption , let me name a few - M50s , MA900s , V6 , 7506 , Z1000 , 7520 , W5000 , M40s , M40fs , SA5000 , ZX700 , AHD-600 , AHD-340 , AHD-320 and many other cheap AT, Sonys and Denons ...all these headphones are extremely grainy , harsh and makes me want to throw them.

Since I can't prove my point , I'll resort to the man himself , David Mahler ...he has all the headphones we dream of owning at some point , he has mentioned several times about "grain" on his Japanese headphone reviews , in his Qualia 010 review and I quote 

"NOT TRANSPARENT: The Qualia 010 is not one of the most transparent headphones in this evaluation. In fact, there are several less expensive headphones which are considerably more transparent (the HD600 or DT 880 for instance). At such a high premium, the Qualia 010 fails to impress in this regard.

TREBLE: I find the Qualia's treble presentation to be abrasive and excessively grainy. As a result, cymbals have the tendency sounding piecing"

So if I'm hearing it all wrong and Mr Mahler is hearing it all wrong , then fine...you are right , the ma900s are grain-free 
For my buck , I'll never spend more than $100 on Grainy Japanese "Dynamic" Headphones , enjoy the ma900s ! 

Sep 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #37 of 66
  You're absolutely right.......I'm with you on this one , I can't prove it but from my experience with a good amount of Japanese headphones I think it's a accurate assumption , let me name a few - M50s , MA900s , V6 , 7506 , Z1000 , 7520 , W5000 , M40s , M40fs , SA5000 , ZX700 , AHD-600 , AHD-340 , AHD-320 and many other cheap AT, Sonys and Denons ...all these headphones are extremely grainy , harsh and makes me want to throw them.

Since I can't prove my point , I'll resort to the man himself , David Mahler ...he has all the headphones we dream of owning at some point , he has mentioned several times about "grain" on his Japanese headphone reviews , in his Qualia 010 review and I quote 

"NOT TRANSPARENT: The Qualia 010 is not one of the most transparent headphones in this evaluation. In fact, there are several less expensive headphones which are considerably more transparent (the HD600 or DT 880 for instance). At such a high premium, the Qualia 010 fails to impress in this regard.

TREBLE: I find the Qualia's treble presentation to be abrasive and excessively grainy. As a result, cymbals have the tendency sounding piecing"

So if I'm hearing it all wrong and Mr Mahler is hearing it all wrong , then fine...you are right , the ma900s are grain-free 
For my buck , I'll never spend more than $100 on Grainy Japanese "Dynamic" Headphones , enjoy the ma900s ! 

good or bad depends on comparison and how your ear perceives sounds.

if you're used to listen to $2000 headphones maybe ma900 is grainy for you.
i'm used to listen to $100 headphone, so ma900 might be fine for me.

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #38 of 66
geez and i tot those cans were made in another country...
anyway the main point is..it is relative ...n semantics.
Trying to describe SOUND...is a daunting task.

"Flat" "neutral" "dark" "clear" "grain"  etc....is a big pain to communicate..
"pain" in itself is a headache..
"headache" itself is a ...

i am going to "bed"  :p

yes...dt150 is the "best"

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #39 of 66
  geez and i tot those cans were made in another country...
anyway the main point is..it is relative ...n semantics.
Trying to describe SOUND...is a daunting task.

"Flat" "neutral" "dark" "clear" "grain"  etc....is a big pain to communicate..
"pain" in itself is a headache..
"headache" itself is a ...

i am going to "bed"  :p

yes...dt150 is the "best"

haha , man 
I love that you are appreciating the 150 as much as it should be !

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #40 of 66
i have similar impressions on a few of the cans u mentioned...
AD900x...side by side to the Q701, the AD was grainy..Q701 was refined-sounding.
W5000...it has a sandy sound to it, but i attributed it to the WOODs then :p
It was great for soaring church chorals...like a heavenly rousing kind of sound.
But for everything else it was a NO GO...(sold it...errrmmm for usd350..i m nuts.)
Had the AD1000x...hmmm never tot it was that spectacularly refined too ...sold it within two months.

Todate i just take it that i had no innate affinity for AT BIG cans...

BUT I LOVED THEIR ON EARs...the best I had.

=======

hey, i am having a great time with a japanese Yamaha MT220..
this one is exceptional...if u get a chance to put it on your head, dun stop "P

Sep 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM Post #41 of 66
AD900x...side by side to the Q701, the AD was grainy..Q701 was refined-sounding.
It was great for soaring church chorals...like a heavenly rousing kind of sound.
But for everything else it was a NO GO...(sold it...errrmmm for usd350..i m nuts.)
Had the AD1000x...hmmm never tot it was that spectacularly refined too ...sold it within two months.

=======

Oh yes Sir ! 
I really want to try the MT220s , Dale Thorn who does reviews on YouTube told me a long time ago that the MT220 drivers were made by Beyerdynamic , I'm not sure on that.....once I hear them it'll be fairly easy to conclude , just from the timbre fideltiy its easy differentiate a Beyer , nevertheless I really want to audition them !

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #42 of 66

=======

As packaged by Beyerdynamic

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #43 of 66

The Qualia is a mixed bag, not only does it have fit issues, it has a ragged and grainy presentation, I felt really mixed about it when I heard it. The SA5000 is similar. The Qualia is a failure of a flagship, especially when compared to it's predecessor the R10 which I found the best dynamic headphone ever made. The HD 800, etc. sound a bit grainy compared to the R10. I only heard the MA900, SA5000, and M50 of your list. I have heard the Qualia and R10 though. I generally stick with the Germanic big three in terms of headphones, everything else has been a mixed bag for me. I generally avoid Japanese dynamics due to my mixed yet limited experience with them. Orthos are nice but their soundstage presentation bothers me. I have an odd love for AKG headphones, I realized they really are a love or hate sound and take time to fully appreciate.

Regarding the DT 150 I do find them slightly grainy in the upper treble(like all Beyers I've heard) compared to the HD 600, the HD 600 sounds more transparent and textured to my ears overall.

Sep 17, 2014 at 1:44 PM Post #44 of 66
  Regarding the DT 150 I do find them slightly grainy in the upper treble(like all Beyers I've heard) compared to the HD 600, the HD 600 sounds more transparent and textured to my ears overall.

That's my experience as well, but I can live with it. Some dampening with felt/velour/cotton does help a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back