Comparison: HD600, MA900, DT 150 and SRH840
Sep 14, 2014 at 4:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 66

Defiant00

1000+ Head-Fier
Or in other words, a comparison of the main cans I currently happen to have around
smily_headphones1.gif

But no, in all seriousness, I've gotten a few questions recently about various cans, and since I just got the DT 150 in this past week I figured now would be a good time to do a bit of a writeup.

All listening was done with Laptop > USB Modi > Asgard 2 (high gain). I made no real attempt to accurately volume match, so these are just more general impressions than anything and should be taken with a grain of salt, YMMV, to my preference, etc.

First, the setup:

And the contenders:

So, on to the comparisons!

Bass

DT 150 > HD600 > SRH840 > MA900

DT 150 goes lowest, is quite clean, and has good impact.

HD600 is nicely balanced and, while it does roll off, the lower frequencies are still mostly there, just a little subdued.

SRH840 is quite good and clear for the range it covers, but it's missing some of the lowest frequencies. It's not really obvious unless you listen to something like the DT 150 though.

MA900 is good for an open can, but doesn't go as low or as detailed. I suspect bass was sacrificed for soundstage.

Mids

No rankings, these are just different.

HD600 is the clearest and most balanced. The best for most music to my preference.

MA900 has an emphasis on the mids which makes it great with certain types of mid-centric music (acoustic guitar and voice for example).

DT 150 is a bit recessed, but clear enough and don't get overwhelmed by the bass.

SRH840 is more recessed than DT 150, but has impressive detail (it's just a little quieter than I'd consider 'correct').

Highs

HD600 = SRH840 > MA900 > DT 150

HD600 has very natural sounding treble, it's not as present as the SRH840, but it's just as detailed (if not more).

SRH840 has excellent treble, with a bit of extra emphasis without sounding overly bright.

MA900 is only a small step below HD600 and SRH840, but it feels like it has slight less treble detail while still being a noticeable step beyond DT 150.

DT 150 has rolled off highs. Not horribly so, but there is a bit of sparkle missing from the top end when compared with the other cans.

Soundstage and Instrument Separation

MA900 > HD600 > DT 150 > SRH840

This is the MA900's strength. It has the largest soundstage of the bunch, and excellent positioning within that soundstage. Easily the most out-of-your-head out of these. Instrument positioning and separation is also great with these; the soundstage makes it quite easy to pinpoint where each sound is coming from.

HD600 has similar instrument separation as the DT 150, but a bit larger overall soundstage. Surprisingly similar though, and they all lose to the MA900.

DT 150 is quite good at instrument separation. Soundstage isn't huge, but less in-your-head than SRH840s. Open cans are better though.

SRH840 is very in-your-head. Separation and positioning is good, but it's all within a fairly confined area.

Build Quality

DT 150 > HD600 > MA900 > SRH840

DT 150 is all very durable thick plastic and metal.

HD600 is quite durable as well, but I get the sense that if I gave them to my kids there's a chance they could break them, which isn't a concern with the DT 150.

MA900 feels very flimsy, but is actually pretty well put-together with metal where necessary. Still feels like you have to baby them though, since they're so light.

SRH840 is very plasticy and doesn't really inspire confidence. Mine hasn't broken yet, but it doesn't surprise me that the plastic yokes (?) that hold the cups in place have broken on people. This is also the only one that has any real creaking issues.

Comfort

HD600 > The Rest

HD600 clamps a good bit, but it isn't uncomfortable, just firm.

SRH840 is okay for a couple hours, but eventually the headband starts to irritate my head.

MA900 is weird. It's super light with little clamp, but the points that it does come in contact with are apparently just the right/wrong points for me and give me a headache after a couple hours.

DT 150 has a lot of clamp and a weird headband. So far it's right in the middle of these for comfort, but I've only had them for about a week so I wouldn't commit to exactly where they belong on this list.

Conclusions

To me the HD600 is the most pleasant, balanced, comfortable and overall enjoyable headphone I currently own. It's a little rolled off on both ends, and some cans do certain things better than it does (eg, MA900 soundstage), but it's a great all-rounder.

SRH840 is a noticeably V-shaped headphone with some nice sparkle and clarity. Soundstage is pretty small, but it's quite fun with some genres (electronic music, rock) and it's not a huge emphasis on certain frequencies, so it makes a pretty good all-around can as well.

MA900 has a bass rolloff and a bit of mid emphasis. It also has a pretty remarkable soundstage and good clarity without any sort of harshness. Not as good overall as the HD600, but really great for acoustic music. Also really excels in picking apart details in music, as the separation is excellent, making it much easier to track individual sounds or instruments.

DT 150 has a definite bass emphasis and treble rolloff, but still pulls off the impressive trick of having a lot of detail in the frequencies it does cover. Comparing it to the SRH840 it's obvious it's missing some sparkle, but that also makes it a great headphone for less-than-stellar recordings, as it is easily the least-sibilant can here. It also has the best bass of the group, going lower and hitting harder than any of the others.

...and unfortunately, I don't know if that's any real conclusion at all. It certainly was interesting comparing them, and gave me more of a handle on their actual sound signatures, but I don't know if it answered any real questions of which is properly better. Each is certainly pretty unique and different, so I guess it really depends what I'm in the mood for at the time as to which would be the best.

Edit: Wow, I wrote a lot
eek.gif

Update: Man, hearing is a fickle thing. Listening to the DT 150 again today and they sound way more balanced than they did yesterday. Unfortunately, I'm at work so I don't have my other cans to directly compare them to, but at least on their own I wouldn't call their mids or highs recessed; they actually sound quite nicely balanced. Certainly not a complaint, but this is definitely closer to my normal preference than I remember them sounding like yesterday.

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 66
Nice comparison. I do disagree some but it could be system differences, listening level differences, hearing differences, fit differences, etc. But I have to agree the HD 600 is very comfortable. The DT 150 is a bit strange in the headband but becomes more comfortable with use as the pads compress and soften a bit. The bass also balances out more. I find the HD 600 darker than the DT 150 as I find the DT 150 a little brighter in the mid and upper treble though the bass can tame the highs a little at times. Maybe the HD 600 will open up in the highs with more use as I did just get them a few days ago.

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 66
  Nice comparison. I do disagree some but it could be system differences, listening level differences, hearing differences, fit differences, etc. But I have to agree the HD 600 is very comfortable. The DT 150 is a bit strange in the headband but becomes more comfortable with use as the pads compress and soften a bit. The bass also balances out more. I find the HD 600 darker than the DT 150 as I find the DT 150 a tad on the bright side in the mid and upper treble though the bass can mask the highs a little at times. Maybe the HD 600 will open up in the highs with more use as I did just get them a few days ago.

Yeah, there are so many possible variables that it's hard to say. I've also only had the DT 150 for about a week, so maybe they'll balance out more later. I have been been letting them play when I'm not listening to something though, so they've probably got 30 or so hours on them now.

DT 150 treble is a bit weird; on my sibilance test it was obviously rolled off compared to the others (not necessarily a bad thing, I hate sibilance), but in general listening it seems pretty detailed. I wouldn't necessarily call it bright, but just from casual listening I wouldn't even necessarily call it rolled off. I dunno, I kind of suspect that either it or the other cans (or maybe both?) have some fun frequency variations in the treble that make it more track-dependent. Also, if the bass does settle down after a bit then yeah, I could see the treble then seeming more balanced.

And then there's also the whole other issue of what you normally listen to...yay, comparisons are fun
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 66

Yeah, there are so many possible variables that it's hard to say. I've also only had the DT 150 for about a week, so maybe they'll balance out more later. I have been been letting them play when I'm not listening to something though, so they've probably got 30 or so hours on them now.

DT 150 treble is a bit weird; on my sibilance test it was obviously rolled off compared to the others (not necessarily a bad thing, I hate sibilance), but in general listening it seems pretty detailed. I wouldn't necessarily call it bright, but just from casual listening I wouldn't even necessarily call it rolled off. I dunno, I kind of suspect that either it or the other cans (or maybe both?) have some fun frequency variations in the treble that make it more track-dependent. Also, if the bass does settle down after a bit then yeah, I could see the treble then seeming more balanced.

And then there's also the whole other issue of what you normally listen to...yay, comparisons are fun
smily_headphones1.gif

I found they did balance out with more use because as the pads compress a bit the drivers become closer to the ears. The HD 600 is balancing out more, it was overly dark and veiled when I first used them, now it's becoming much better. I hate sibilance too. I find both the DT 150 and HD 600 relatively forgiving of the system. They aren't like my K712 which is one finicky headphone in my experience, if it didn't like something about a system it was obvious, though if the system balance is just right, it is one incredible sounding headphone. True, I listen to a bit of everything though electronic genres do get more listening than other genres.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #5 of 66
Useful comparison between cans...
I took off the driverfoam on the dt150 to add some clarity.
But after installing the updated Audirvana software..
The clarity is approaching that of the Tesla drivers..
Abit shocking to me..the DT150 is jus so TRANSPARENT.

edit: mine came with DT100velorpads...
think it reduced resonance/ or hall-ishness
mids are not recessed vs my other cans.

Sep 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #6 of 66
Ah, I was actually talking about which cans you typically listen to since everything else is mentally compared to that, although yeah, music type definitely affects it too.

A lot of my every day listening is electronic too (lots of OC Remixes, makes excellent background music for programming).

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 66
I'm sorry I have to disagree with the whole comparison
I've had all the headphone except the 840s and my thoughts are not even close ...

The 600's bass although perceived as rolled off goes down with great tightness , you can run test tones to verify that .....same case with the 150 in extension but not exactly as well bodied , I'm surprised you find the mids recessed ....IMO the 150 in terms of fidlely surpasses my 650-600s and even those high end Denons and 1840-1540s by a significant margin , not only are they grain free but they are incredibly transparent for a dynamic headphone , the highs are neutral , I've heard the 840s are bright so it might give you the perception of extension , since I've not heard them ..I can't say but frequency response doesn't equate to extension

Ma900s well... they are the most grainy abusive headphones I've ever owned , so they should be compared to m50s and 7506s IMO

Sorry man I just find your comparison to be off , its entirety possible that I'm worng but I highly doubt it.

Sep 14, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #8 of 66
I'm sorry I have to disagree with the whole comparison
I've had all the headphone except the 840s and my thoughts are not even close ...

The 600's bass although perceived as rolled off goes down with great tightness , you can run test tones to verify that .....same case with the 150 in extension but not exactly as well bodied , I'm surprised you find the mids recessed ....IMO the 150 in terms of fidlely surpasses my 650-600s and even those high end Denons and 1840-1540s by a significant margin , not only are they grain free but they are incredibly transparent for a dynamic headphone , the highs are neutral , I've heard the 840s are bright so it might give you the perception of extension , since I've not heard them ..I can't say but frequency response doesn't equate to extension

Ma900s well... they are the most grainy abusive headphones I've ever owned , so they should be compared to m50s and 7506s IMO

Sorry man I just find your comparison to be off , its entirety possible that I'm worng but I highly doubt it.

Well, we obviously hear differently, have different sound signature preferences, or maybe just different equipment.

I do agree the HD600 goes quite low, but it's lowest frequencies are pretty rolled off compared to, say, something like the LCD-2 I had for a while that was properly flat in the bass.

As for the DT 150, I dunno. All I can say is that right now mine has a bass emphasis and seems to therefore have relatively recessed mids and treble (since any sort of perceived emphasis means that the other frequencies will seem recessed).

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:03 AM Post #9 of 66
Ah, I was actually talking about which cans you typically listen to since everything else is mentally compared to that, although yeah, music type definitely affects it too.

A lot of my every day listening is electronic too (lots of OC Remixes, makes excellent background music for programming).

True, I'm personally most used to the AKG sound. I do think I like the HD 600's sound a little more than the DT 150 so far. It sounds more organic to me. Though once my ears adjust to either headphone it becomes hard to decide which I like more. I really like the HD 600 for more laid-back and relaxing music, just melts tension away and at low listening volumes has this ability to help lull me to sleep. It's an amazing background music headphone. The K712 and K612 are what I listen to when I want to get completely caught up and absorbed in the music. The DT 150 is plays a nice middle-ground between the AKGs and the Senns for me and has the benefit of being closed-back.

Sep 15, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #10 of 66
Man, hearing is so fickle. I decided to just bring the DT 150 in to work today, and they sound way more balanced than I remember them sounding yesterday. Wish I had the HD600 here to compare to, but on their own I definitely wouldn't call the mids or highs recessed.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #11 of 66
Nice comparison!

I haven't heard the DT150's, and only briefly listened to the 840's at a guitar store so I might be wrong in saying the following, but I don think the 840's mids were recessed. In fact I'd say that their bass was a little "off" to me.

As to the hd600 vs ma900, I do agree. Ma900 does beat it in instrument separation, soundstage, imaging but ultimately the HD600's is the better headphone with slightly better timbre and transparency.

Sep 15, 2014 at 9:45 AM Post #12 of 66
Nice comparison!

I haven't heard the DT150's, and only briefly listened to the 840's at a guitar store so I might be wrong in saying the following, but I don think the 840's mids were recessed. In fact I'd say that their bass was a little "off" to me.

As to the hd600 vs ma900, I do agree. Ma900 does beat it in instrument separation, soundstage, imaging but ultimately the HD600's is the better headphone with slightly better timbre and transparency.

I'm starting to think "recessed" might have been the wrong word to use. In the case of the 840s, to me it has a bit of a bass and treble emphasis, so accordingly I find that the mids are a little quieter than ideal (when compared to the HD600, which I find the most balanced). And as with a lot of this, most of it's subtle enough (and my aural memory bad enough) that, if I didn't have all the cans together at once I probably would never notice.

Sep 15, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #13 of 66
dun loose sleep over it Defiant, u are allow to have memory loss..memory confusion...semantic error...
and whatever u tot best describe it at a particular time..
all our setups are diff...
key is to share the hobby ;
my home current fluctuates wildly i think at diff times..:p

Sep 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #14 of 66
  dun loose sleep over it Defiant, u are allow to have memory loss..memory confusion...semantic error...
and whatever u tot best describe it at a particular time..
all our setups are diff...
key is to share the hobby ;
my home current fluctuates wildly i think at diff times..:p

Yup, and no worries here; I'm just responding and further updating with what I can.

Even if someone has the exact opposite preferences from me I still enjoy reading their impressions; it's what makes this hobby interesting.

Sep 15, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #15 of 66

ma900 could be grainy with some systems, but with some I found them very less grainy and quite enjoyable.. m50 is way less refined with terribly congested soundstage compared to ma900, not even close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back