Compared: New 2005 Editions of Beyer DT880 and DT990
Feb 19, 2006 at 9:34 AM Post #16 of 57
Thanks for the very interesting comparison!
smily_headphones1.gif

It's interesting to notiche that the DT880 is still the "correct one" between the two. Even more interesting the fact that the new DT990 was refined still mantaining the "fun factor".

Anyway, I think I'll stay with my 2003 version of both.
wink.gif

Thanks a lot again!

Andrew

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:02 AM Post #17 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
Hmmm, only a slight improvement in sound quality, but a significant raise in the price department. Not sure if I like the change in appearance either. So I don't think I'll be getting one of these new Beyerdynamics - K601 seems more interesting...

Well, the old DT990 Pro will still be available, at the same old price, I guess, which is excellent value for money.

The old DT880 has been cheaper because it's discontinued.

Both the new ones will very likely have a lower street price in a while, and I honestly think that will make them some of the best value-for-money phones on the market.

Also, doesn't people spend hundreds and thousands of dollars on CD-players, cables, tubes, spikes and other humbug just trying to get a little more resolution etc.?
Here you get it for well below $100. Definitely worth it in my book.

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:11 AM Post #18 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
JensL: Did you ever have the chance to listen to the DT531, btw? I wonder how you'd like that one - to me it's by far the comfiest Beyerdynamic I've tried and sonically between the, for my taste, too bowl shaped sounding DT990(Pro/250) and the too flat and boring sounding DT880. In addition, the DT531 works better with less powerful amplification, and the price was quite attractive, too.

I actually own an almost new DT531, but I haven't used it much lately.

I agree, it's really comfy, but it might not be as durable as the DT770/880/990. No big issue, though.

You might be right, the DT531 might have a sound signature in between the DT880 and DT990, but as far as i recall, it also loses quite a bit of resolution and details, so it's not the perfect phone.
It was one of the best deals in its time, though. Extremely easy to like.

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:07 AM Post #20 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by JensL
Both the new ones will very likely have a lower street price in a while, and I honestly think that will make them some of the best value-for-money phones on the market.

Yup, the Beyer DT880/990 have always been one of the most best value-for-money in hi-fi (let's say high-end, really).
They have ridicolous price for what they offer (hope the price of the new one will drop in a while
wink.gif
).

bye
Andrew

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #21 of 57
JensL, thanks for another well written and informative review.

I am curious, can you share more of your thoughts on the sonic similarities/differences between the new DT990 and the new DT770?

The new DT770 to me also seems to have a more clearly defined and less recessed midrange than prior versions, if memory of the previous versions serves me. Love to get your overall comments.

Having now broken in my 2006 DT770/250's I believe our differences of opinion as to their treble balance is likely due to the different amps we use (mine being the solid state Meier known for being just slightly dry, yours being tube and therefore likely being at least slightly sweet).

Thanks!

Feb 19, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #23 of 57
Great review, thanks!

Feb 19, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #25 of 57
Thanks for the review. I have the old 880's and the new 990's & I prefer the new 990's - much more engaging & fun.

Something that has been troubling me for a little time though - how do you know that one is 'correct'? Surely we always hear the music filtered in some way or another - in fact it is not possible to hear the music on the cd 'purely'. Are we ever in a position say that amplifiers / 'phones are neutral or correct? Just a question,

thanks,

Ian

Feb 19, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #26 of 57
You could always compare a recording of a live event with the real thing, but your definition of neutral might differ depending on where you are seated on the live event. Another alternative is the frequence response. By comparing the DT880 with the DT990:

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCom...are+Headphones

We could most likely assume that the DT990 is less neutral as it makes a flat input signal come out as less flat than it does out of the DT880. Comparing the DT880 with a HD650 is harder as the difference there could be attributed to the attenuation of the highs over a distance. If you choose to equate good sound with neutrality is up to you. Just do not infer that because we can not hear the pure recording, there is no meaning in the word "neutrality".

--------------

On topic: It feels good to know that my new DT880s are on par with the old ones and nothing changed. Finally there is an anser to the question that have flooded the board with threads, as no one has been able to do a direct comparation.

Feb 19, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #27 of 57
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab
I am curious, can you share more of your thoughts on the sonic similarities/differences between the new DT990 and the new DT770?

The new DT770 to me also seems to have a more clearly defined and less recessed midrange than prior versions, if memory of the previous versions serves me. Love to get your overall comments.

Well, I don't have the DT770-2005 anymore, but I think that is the one that has improved the most of the three. However, remember that is from the DT770-250, not the DT770-80. The difference from the DT770-80 to the new DT770-2005, isn't huge.

I think the new DT770-2005 is closer to the DT990-2005 than with the older models. The DT990 is still more balanced and airy, but I think the highs are getting fairly close now.

It's hard to do this by memory, so I'll wait for another time.

Quote:

Having now broken in my 2006 DT770/250's I believe our differences of opinion as to their treble balance is likely due to the different amps we use (mine being the solid state Meier known for being just slightly dry, yours being tube and therefore likely being at least slightly sweet).

Yeah, you might be right. These three Beyers definitely like tubes, and the Cordas can make them dry-sounding. It depends on the source too.
Maybe these Beyers got some increased resolution, which can bring out some dryness?

Feb 19, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #28 of 57
Good Job.
I have been waiting for this review for a while.

Feb 19, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #29 of 57
Quote:

I think the new DT770-2005 is closer to the DT990-2005 than with the older models. The DT990 is still more balanced and airy, but I think the highs are getting fairly close now.

It's hard to do this by memory, so I'll wait for another time.

That makes some sense. The DT770-2005 does sound more like what I recall the DT990 to sound like (again, going from memory), only with better mids.

Quote:

Yeah, you might be right. These three Beyers definitely like tubes, and the Cordas can make them dry-sounding. It depends on the source too.
Maybe these Beyers got some increased resolution, which can bring out some dryness?

I don't think it's actual resolution, but that the treble is a touch more forward. There is more treble energy with the DT770-2005 (even after 150 hours break in) than with any of my other headphones -- the Darth Beyers, the HF-1, or the HD650. But the treble of the DT770-2005 does clean up a lot with break in, and while it's more forward than I generally like, it is clean. It makes sense to me now that it is a noticable improvement over the 250 ohm version.

That said, I got an email from Beyer late last week that they can process a Manufactur order for me, finally. I am going to order the DT770 (with some nice colors) in the 32 ohm version, so it will be fun to compare that.

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:44 PM Post #30 of 57
Quote:

That said, I got an email from Beyer late last week that they can process a Manufactur order for me, finally. I am going to order the DT770 (with some nice colors) in the 32 ohm version, so it will be fun to compare that.

Ohhh...that's very interesting. You just know you HAVE TO give us some impressions on that one. :)
Which colors did you go for, champagne or cognac?
:wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back