Coming Soon: Audio-GD Reference 3 USB>SPDIF converter/wonder-box
Feb 2, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #106 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by realmassy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, correct me if I'm wrong, you've placed the Ref-3 between the squeezebox and the dac? Have you used the optical output on the squeezebox? This is quite interesting. I have a duet as well, and I wanted to upgrade to the new touch (hopefully will be released soon) given the improvement in the digital output...but this could be a good alternative.

I have duet too. My Ref 3 is connected between the duet and Ref1 DAC. It really reduced the jitter a lot and make the low end Duet to a relatively mid to high end transporter. IMO it is worth the money.

Feb 3, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #108 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmychan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have duet too. My Ref 3 is connected between the duet and Ref1 DAC. It really reduced the jitter a lot and make the low end Duet to a relatively mid to high end transporter. IMO it is worth the money.

Do we know for a fact it is reducing jitter or is there something else at work? Has the jitter reduction been measured?

I'm curious to hear how much better it would improve on the digital outputs of the Transporter. Actually, I am going to install two Audio-gd JZ1 low jitter clocks in the Transporter. One needs to be 11.289 MHz and the other 24.576 MHz. The Transporter already has low jitter performance at around 20ps, but the JZ1 clocks will take it down to 1.5ps and 5ps respectively.

Plus, the Reference 3 doesn't have balanced digital inputs or outputs so it wouldn't suit my needs exactly. But luckily, the new Reference 7 DAC does.
wink.gif

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #109 of 126
I just got a used ref 3. Which set of rca/bnc output is ACSS and which is transistor-based? With only 30 imnutes of use and swapping back and forth I like both about the same, maybe prefer #2 set or the set closer to the iec.

Jul 17, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #111 of 126
Yes! Thank you very much for letting me buy your ref 3. It compensates very well for the bit slow transients of the pmd-100, bringing the sound closer to neutral. My first impressions is that it lives up to my sound improvement expectations even though I've experimented with all sorts of cheap transports and tweaks and chosen the ones that I liked best. I really appreciate the cable you gave me too :) I owe you one.

Jul 18, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #114 of 126
The upgrade is for the new tenor usb chip and a reprogrammed dsp-3 board that can work with it. Then you ship back your old dsp-3 board to them. The tenor chip is supposedly an improvement over the chip being replaced, and it also does 24/96 versus 16/48 of old chip. Soldering is required.

Aug 26, 2010 at 4:51 AM Post #115 of 126
Does anyone have a 240v Reference 3 they want to sell ?  I have a use for another one.

Regards

Macrog

Nov 2, 2010 at 5:35 AM Post #117 of 126
It cost around 500 dollars at the time. Actually you´re not the only one still interested in this :p I just sent Kingwa a mail asking if he still makes these as a custom order, I´ll let you know what he replies
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:13 AM Post #118 of 126
I tried to ask for one immediately after it was discontinued and was told no
tongue.gif
. Since DI was pretty well received, maybe a ref 3 replacement is in the makes. The ref 3 price was also due to things like multiple inputs and outputs, quite overboard parts like aluminum feet and gold iec, etc. When I compare pics of DI vs ref 3 the DI does look like better bang for buck if all you want is a reclocker.

Nov 2, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #119 of 126
Funny you should bump this thread, as I received a DSP upgrade for mine.  I got it almost purely for the flexibility it offered, but realise now what an improvement it made to the SQ.  The DI is only very slightly behind it I think. I reckon he should make it again for sure.  A Reference 7S (single input) + Reference 3 would be a better combination than just a normal Reference 7 IMO.

Nov 5, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #120 of 126
Well I asked Edwin about this amongst other things and he entirely ignored the question haha... so I guess they are no longer interested in producing it.

I as going to try and get the DI instead... but then I really started wondering why on earth I would want yet another box and all its various electronic components between my music and my ears...

I will be going sans "wonder box" for the time being as my PC already has a dedicated and high quality soundcard for SPDIF out so USB is useless to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back