Coming Soon: Audio-GD Reference 3 USB>SPDIF converter/wonder-box
Sep 17, 2009 at 11:40 AM Post #91 of 126
Would this Ref 3 work nicely between my Squeezebox 3 and Audio-GD DAC-7, anybody knows? Thanks!
k701smile.gif

(I think Ref 2 is DAC-7 plus the processor)

Sep 17, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #92 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pluto2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would this Ref 3 work nicely between my Squeezebox 3 and Audio-GD DAC-7, anybody knows? Thanks!
k701smile.gif

(I think Ref 2 is DAC-7 plus the processor)

Probably better off modding your SB3 with more clocking

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #94 of 126
Quote:

Hi tosehee,

Any suggestion on improving the clocking of SB3?
smily_headphones1.gif

There are dozens of third party mods out there for SB3. But, if you could wait though, I'd wait for SB Touch. It has better jitter control than SB3 and very close to the performance of Transporter which costs $2000 ($1300 in audiogon).

I've pre-ordered this one myself.

Sep 18, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #95 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a ref-3 partly because I needed some jitter attenuation for my lowly squeezebox and also because I had a few sources that I wanted to connect to my DAC.

I already had a Monarchy DIP superdrive which I felt made a noticeable difference. On replacing the Monarchy DIP with the Ref-3 it immediately made a huge difference with the clarity of the lows and highs. (Although I haven't done a detailed A/B comparison yet).

The effect on the bass drum in particular was the most noticeable. The sound was more crisp and sharp and just more real.

In fact, the ref-3 made SUCH a difference that I initially couldn't believe it. I thought there was something wrong with the signal.

All in all, I think it's a good product that is worth it's asking price. All these impressions are with no upsampling. I don't really feel it's right to upsample the signal from the Ref-3 but Kingwa is of the opinion that it sounds better upsampled. I personally think that the differences are minor.

Which output are you using the CAST driven circuit or the traditional transistor based out ?

I think it's the same as the CD7 digital out section (or almost the same). The CAST driven out sounds terrific. I'm in complete agreement with your findings...bit perfect sounds very good.

Peete.

Sep 18, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #96 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are dozens of third party mods out there for SB3. But, if you could wait though, I'd wait for SB Touch. It has better jitter control than SB3 and very close to the performance of Transporter which costs $2000 ($1300 in audiogon).

I've pre-ordered this one myself.

Is there any review about the SB Touch? Bloody if Touch can get close quality digi output with Transporter.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #97 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by CapQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is there any review about the SB Touch? Bloody if Touch can get close quality digi output with Transporter.

Those are words from the beta testers. And it's not out yet. December is the release day

Sep 21, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #98 of 126
Hi Tosehee,

Could you point out a couple of links about nice clocking mod on SB3? Just wanted to get a flavor of how extensive it is.....
L3000.gif

One of the beta testers did say SB touch was good but his SB3 with clocking and reclocking mods sounded better.....
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Sep 21, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #99 of 126
Quote:

Hi Tosehee,

Could you point out a couple of links about nice clocking mod on SB3? Just wanted to get a flavor of how extensive it is.....
L3000.gif

One of the beta testers did say SB touch was good but his SB3 with clocking and reclocking mods sounded better.....
biggrin.gif

Thanks!

Viniie from RWA does extensive modding on SB3.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #100 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Viniie from RWA does extensive modding on SB3.

I don't think he does anymore. The only commercial squeezebox modders I've seen are Bolder and audiocom and neither of them do any clock mods.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #101 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pricklely Peete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which output are you using the CAST driven circuit or the traditional transistor based out ?

I think it's the same as the CD7 digital out section (or almost the same). The CAST driven out sounds terrific. I'm in complete agreement with your findings...bit perfect sounds very good.

Peete.

I've used both and the CAST sounds slightly better but does not work with 24/96 on my DAC. The transistor output does work with 24/96. They both sound very good.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:36 PM Post #103 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How does CAST work for digital outputs? IIRC CAST is a way to avoid the whole I/V process at the DAC's analogue outputs, so what does it have to do with the digital out?

I would think it doesn't matter with digital outputs, but then CD7 has CAST output which Ref1 accepts.. So, I guess it does matter?

Jan 31, 2010 at 12:43 AM Post #105 of 126
Quote:

Originally Posted by XXII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a ref-3 partly because I needed some jitter attenuation for my lowly squeezebox and also because I had a few sources that I wanted to connect to my DAC.

I already had a Monarchy DIP superdrive which I felt made a noticeable difference. On replacing the Monarchy DIP with the Ref-3 it immediately made a huge difference with the clarity of the lows and highs. (Although I haven't done a detailed A/B comparison yet).

The effect on the bass drum in particular was the most noticeable. The sound was more crisp and sharp and just more real.

In fact, the ref-3 made SUCH a difference that I initially couldn't believe it. I thought there was something wrong with the signal.

All in all, I think it's a good product that is worth it's asking price. All these impressions are with no upsampling. I don't really feel it's right to upsample the signal from the Ref-3 but Kingwa is of the opinion that it sounds better upsampled. I personally think that the differences are minor.

So, correct me if I'm wrong, you've placed the Ref-3 between the squeezebox and the dac? Have you used the optical output on the squeezebox? This is quite interesting. I have a duet as well, and I wanted to upgrade to the new touch (hopefully will be released soon) given the improvement in the digital output...but this could be a good alternative.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back