Comfort headphones needed
Jul 16, 2011 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mart1

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I already have Ultimate Ears 700 IEMs and want to get a pair of bassier cans right now. I have an amp (electric avenue pocket amp 2) and the source will be mostly my laptop(Lenovo x220) (like >80% of the time) and an iPod touch 2g and an entry level receiver(Yamaha something :wink: ). I dont wanna invest greatly into an DAC and my music consists mainly of 320 kbps mp3s, CDs and a couple of vinyl. I listen to rap/indie rock/electronica.
Since I have a big head and tried some cans on a few comments: Audio Technica 700(I assume M5s are similar?) was definately uncomfy, as was Sennheiser HD25-I, since they clamped too much.
Comfortwise best were the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 Ohm, but I'm not quite sure if it sounds good with the laptop output. I also considered CAL, but haven't tried them out yet. Any suggestions for good value/money headphones considered I live in europe and can't enjoy the nice american market and prices :-/
Edit: Forgot to mention: DT770 = 150 Euros, CAL = 60 Euros, M5 = 160 Euros, Shure SH440(couldnt also try) is like 80 Euros.

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:07 AM Post #2 of 6
Heya,

Ultrasone Pro 900.

But you didn't mention your budget, so that may not be within your budget. There's some used (but mint/good condition) in the for sale section floating around at good prices (one is in EU if I recall).

DT770's are comfortable and should play nice with a wee bit of ampage. Doesn't take much to drive them really. Check out Fischer Audio FA-003? Sony ZX500? Sennheiser HD438 or 280 Pro?

Very best,

Jul 16, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #3 of 6
Well price Range ist anything from 50 to 150 Euros, though the upper end hurts a tiny bit, but if the cans are durable: No problem. The problem is: i cant take my setup to a store to check which one works best, since there is no store around who got all of them. If the CALs aren't much worse on my equip than the DT770 I d probably get those since the extreme good price nowadays.
Maybe I should also consider Sennheisers HD 558

Jul 17, 2011 at 3:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Ordered the Sony ZX700 now, as they were incredibly cheap (around 65 Euro) and lots of people compared them to cans of double price. I think they will provide good value/money

Users who are viewing this thread

Back