Oct 19, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #47 of 181
found a frequency response curve for c3, cant say if genuine:

http://forum.mp3store.pl/topic/86082-colorfly-c3-na-mniejsze-kieszenie/

it'll be really helping if someone does a tech review of c3 now

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #48 of 181
found a frequency response curve for c3, cant say if genuine:

http://forum.mp3store.pl/topic/86082-colorfly-c3-na-mniejsze-kieszenie/

it'll be really helping if someone does a tech review of c3 now

I's a nice sounding player, large stage, good separation and rather dynamic. It may not satisfy some bassheads but theres a nice amount in low end that achieves high amounts of clarity. Treble has good extension along with detail. Overall the signature is brighter than my Cowon S9. which makes it rather energetic.

Cowon S9 flat cannot keep up in separation or soundstage width coming across rather boring or placid compared. If I enhance with BBE+ and Mach3bass things turn around. Though both flat I prefer C3 by a large margin. Plus I was so used to the Cowon S9's signature that the C3 is like a breath of fresh air.

And it goes louder! :p

Oct 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #49 of 181
Quote:
I disagree. The Hifimans UI is clunky. It's dead slow like a snail to access music. I wanted to slam it against the wall constantly due to this. Plus if you have extensive playlists on the device it's a hassle (2000+ songs). I'm not the type to just press shuffle and let it go. I like to have control of what I'm listening to. In that regard I find the DX100, Rocoo BA and Studio V are much better (faster). I also found the Rocoo BA to be superior to the Hifiman 601 sound quality wise. While I enjoyed the 601 its treble is rolled off, bass is overemphasized and it's a brick. The Rocco BA stock is better than it IMO. The Studio V & Studio V 3rd ANV stock are much better than it IMO. The DX100 crushes them all. The Studio can still hold it's own being such a small player but still losses out to the DX100. I've owned them all at the same time (DX100, Rocoo BA, Studio V, Hifiman 601) before and did extensive comparisons to come to my decision. YMWV.

Did you listen to them amped? I'm planning on getting the 6s MkII (and them some HPs) and then on upgrading from my Cowon. Is there a great difference between iBasso's internal amp and the Leckerton? What about Studio V/Leckerton vs. DX100/Leckerton?

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #50 of 181
The leckerton will be totally neutral comparatively. Measurements here: http://scientistsaudio.blogspot.com/2012/06/leckerton-uha-6smkii-part-1.html?m=1

And here: http://scientistsaudio.blogspot.com/2012/06/leckerton-uha-6smkii-part-2.html?m=1

Oct 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #51 of 181
Oct 20, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #54 of 181
Quote:
then i am guessing i need tot use the trial and error method ?

That's your best bet. What I said about the Hifiman player was met with an "are you kidding me" response and I'd say the same thing (thought not the same way) for the other two players you were inquiring about. So you can ask more detailed question in their respective threads but my recommendation is absolutely Hifiman HM-601 but again, after getting it you might be thinking, "am I missing anything by not having RoCoo or the Colorfly player. So if your budget allows, try them and sell them here on head-fi. At least that's what I did. 

Oct 20, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #55 of 181
Quote:
I's a nice sounding player, large stage, good separation and rather dynamic. It may not satisfy some bassheads but theres a nice amount in low end that achieves high amounts of clarity. Treble has good extension along with detail. Overall the signature is brighter than my Cowon S9. which makes it rather energetic.
Cowon S9 flat cannot keep up in separation or soundstage width coming across rather boring or placid compared. If I enhance with BBE+ and Mach3bass things turn around. Though both flat I prefer C3 by a large margin. Plus I was so used to the Cowon S9's signature that the C3 is like a breath of fresh air.
And it goes louder!
tongue.gif

i wanted a more technical one in the sense of measurements like thd+n, frequency response, dynamic range, distortion, etc.
though its reviews are good, so far i have only seen c3 being appreciated by handful of people.. and those might be very personal views
the hint i got that bass is somewhat lacking and rest is top-notch.. but how marginal difference is that (say from clip+ or hm601 or rocoop).. may be only a quantitative measurement can tell

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #56 of 181
Good luck finding someone to graph one of these. Given that its a niche player you may be waiting a long time.  Having owned all three in this topic I can tell you flat out if you stuck each one in my ears without telling me which is which I would have chosen the c3 every time.  As compared to the clip its not like its some marginal strain to hear a difference it is completely apparent as soon as you put your phones that the c3 bests it.

Oct 20, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #57 of 181
Hey stozzer I meant to ask you this before but if you were to compare the studios 3rd gen to the C3 only by sound quality; I know it's hard to be completely objective from your bad experience you had with hisound.

But do you believe the 3rd studios is at a different level than the C3? What did you like about the studios or disliked?

Oct 20, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #58 of 181
i wanted a more technical one in the sense of measurements like thd+n, frequency response, dynamic range, distortion, etc.
though its reviews are good, so far i have only seen c3 being appreciated by handful of people.. and those might be very personal views
the hint i got that bass is somewhat lacking and rest is top-notch.. but how marginal difference is that (say from clip+ or hm601 or rocoop).. may be only a quantitative measurement can tell

Depends how much bass you want, I definitely wouldn't call it lacking, remember it's a flat signature. Colorfly C3 is relatively new on the market for us head-fi members, that's why you're only seeing a handful of people at the moment praising it. We really don't care which player you buy to be honest, well I couldn't.... I'm just telling it how I hear it.

Maybe you'd be much better of sticking with a Clip+? save yourself all the confusion and questions. :wink:

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:27 AM Post #59 of 181
Quote:
Depends how much bass you want, I definitely wouldn't call it lacking, remember it's a flat signature. Colorfly C3 is relatively new on the market for us head-fi members, that's why you're only seeing a handful of people at the moment praising it. We really don't care which player you buy to be honest, well I couldn't.... I'm just telling it how I hear it.
Maybe you'd be much better of sticking with a Clip+? save yourself all the confusion and questions.
wink.gif

no i'm certainly interested in c3.. i understand colorfly is respectable brand having a renowned player c4 already
i also have lots of hopes from c3 but i just wanted to be more technical in details..
also.. stozzer has put in his review that "it is not as warm as hm601 or sony but dynamic and open sounding", though later he says he'll prefer c3 over any of these
i am really thankful to people who have given their feedback on it, it really helps a lot but i hope someone does an rmaa or some other test over c3 for such things to settle once and for all

Oct 21, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #60 of 181
I'm sorry there aren't any graphs for you, I think your best buying from a seller that offers returns if possible?.

C3's brighter then my Cowon S9 slightly, it's rather obvious through mids / treble regions, and Stozzer's correct about an airy stage. The best was I can describe C3 is having wide stage, rather dynamic mid range, with exceptional separation. Set flat is the better player out of my sources. (check my profile) I find it rather relaxing when laying down, it's quite a pleasant open signature at lower volumes. Probably the closest audiophile based player in it's price range I have found. C3 just has a sound which is kind of unique / enjoyable to my ears.

Remember FiiO X3 will be around the corner in March 2013. Though I can easily say if Colorfly brought out another offering in-between C3 and C4 I wouldn't blink twice about buying (not CK4).

Goodluck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back