Colorfly C3, Hisoundaudio Rocoop, or Hifiman 601
Oct 17, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #33 of 181
I have owned RoCoo BA, Colorfly C3 an Hifiman HM-601 (that's what I have currently now). Between the RoCoo and the Colorfly I had the mighty iBasso DX100. For different reasons I returned the DX100 though it's the best out of all these.

My opinion:
1) Hifiman HM-601 (One of the best DAPs I've ever heard in my life. Much much better than iPods and in a different league than the ones you're considering).

2) Colorfly C3. (I really liked the sound it produced. Not offensive, quite flat and yet engaging. But at the time I preferred my Ipod Classic + Fostex HP-P1 combo and sold the Colorfly. UI is a pain in the ...)

3) RoCoo BA.(I had really high hopes of this DAP but it never did it for me. I'd never consider buying it again. Now that I think of it if I had it for free now, i'd probably not use it).

So my winner is Hifiman

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #35 of 181
Wow, some different opinions here....

I think C3 UI is fairly decent, there's not much you can really do wrong. The headphone jack can get in the way using it one handed but for running around changing tracks, albums and volume I think it works well. YMMV.

I thought it was actually pretty simple and inventive.

Oct 18, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #39 of 181
To me C3s UI and touchscreen only feature was very annoying. UI of Hifimans is pretty simple and not bad at all. It just takes a couple of days to get used to.

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #40 of 181
Quote:
To me C3s UI and touchscreen only feature was very annoying. UI of Hifimans is pretty simple and not bad at all. It just takes a couple of days to get used to.

I disagree. The Hifimans UI is clunky. It's dead slow like a snail to access music. I wanted to slam it against the wall constantly due to this. Plus if you have extensive playlists on the device it's a hassle (2000+ songs). I'm not the type to just press shuffle and let it go. I like to have control of what I'm listening to. In that regard I find the DX100, Rocoo BA and Studio V are much better (faster). I also found the Rocoo BA to be superior to the Hifiman 601 sound quality wise. While I enjoyed the 601 its treble is rolled off, bass is overemphasized and it's a brick. The Rocco BA stock is better than it IMO. The Studio V & Studio V 3rd ANV stock are much better than it IMO. The DX100 crushes them all. The Studio can still hold it's own being such a small player but still losses out to the DX100. I've owned them all at the same time (DX100, Rocoo BA, Studio V, Hifiman 601) before and did extensive comparisons to come to my decision. YMWV.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:25 AM Post #41 of 181
Quote:

Lol you got to be kidding me, heres my video real clunky eh? 
confused_face.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g2Jr45QHWk&feature=player_embedded

simple and fast more like.

The hifimans UI is one of the worst of all time, actually the only thing i can remember being worse was some old rca players. Not only is it straight up unintuitive but it is outright buggy.

Oct 18, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #42 of 181
Yes it's fast, faster than I can move my fingers almost. As quick you can touch a button so is response time.

You know, when I first starting researching C3 I thought that small screen was going to bother me especially sorting through 32GB of files, but in all honesty once my player arrived I completely forgot about the screen size all together, after 10 minutes working out everything it flowed so naturally. I can't see how people would find it annoying really, even locking it was simple. My only grunt is the battery bars are small, I may need to bring the player closer to check because my eye's are going on me. But to fit everything on that screen they have done really well. It just works.

Oct 18, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #43 of 181
Sorry this is quite off topic but how do the hisound, hifiman, and color fly compare to the ipod and fostex hp-p1 combo. That dac/amp has been raved so much it makes me curious if its a lot better than a stand alone dap.

Oct 18, 2012 at 4:59 PM Post #44 of 181
Quote:
Sorry this is quite off topic but how do the hisound, hifiman, and color fly compare to the ipod and fostex hp-p1 combo. That dac/amp has been raved so much it makes me curious if its a lot better than a stand alone dap.

From good to bad in terms of sound alone 

1) iPod + HP-P1 = Hifiman HM-601 (Yes Hifiman sounds as good as that combo to my ears) 

2) Colorfly C3 

3) Hisound 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back