Coffee Anyone?
Oct 17, 2009 at 3:17 PM Post #136 of 171
Frankly I do not know if I am addicted to coffee or ...

19551.jpg

Oct 19, 2009 at 1:36 AM Post #137 of 171
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One cup of coffee should not cause you to be addicted. I generally have only one cup a day, sometimes none. I can take it or leave it. 3 or 4 cups a day is probably enough to "hook" you, so be careful.

There's nothing wrong with bieng hooked, I have at least four cups a day (double shot espresso, usually, but sometimes a late etc). I have started getting my first caffine headaches after drinking as above for over ten years. Though it's not really a caffine headache, as if I have decaffinated coffee it goes away, I think it's more my body misses out on the moments of relaxation I ensure I have when I drink coffee. Anyway, life without coffee, wouldn't be life at all.

Oct 19, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #138 of 171
Caffeine is definitely addictive, but I've embraced the addiction. I pound down four cups of coffee each morning (fills my little travel mug nicely), and man does it give me an amazing energy rush! I can go all day on the buzz I get off my morning coffee... I don't crash like most people.

I don't get headaches if I don't have caffeine (I didn't have coffee at all over the weekend), but I do feel sluggish. I did quit coffee for a couple weeks during the summer because I thought it would be good for my health, but all I got was two weeks of decreased productivity. Meh, coffee it is.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:36 AM Post #139 of 171
reviving this thread b/c coffee is sooooooooooooooo good!

My favorite is French Roast. black and oily beans!
Everything else tastes weak and watery.
3 heaping tbs of fresh beans Fresh ground until they are dust
12 oz french press
water just under boiling
steep 3-5 minutes
1/2 and 1/2 until its anywhere from a muddy color to a creamy tan color.

I can make glass last a day or two.. I'm very sensitive to caffeine.
I love decaf too!

Mar 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM Post #141 of 171
I love coffee, although I do limit my intake. I roast my own beans, and have numerous ways to brew. During the week I do manual pour-over, but on weekends I use a Yama vacuum pot. It's tricky to get everything right (grind, extraction time, amount of agitation, and getting the burner at just the right flame), but it can make a spectacular cup of coffee.

Mar 15, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #143 of 171
I did french press for awhile, hand grinding just before brewing with a Camano Coffee Mill and I got some great coffee that way but I just don't have the time/motivation to do that most mornings.  I've found a great solution to my laziness though.  Sweet Marias Clever Coffee Dripper (http://www.sweetmarias.com/sweetmarias/coffee-brewers/filtercones/clever-dripper-with-lid.html) with the Filtropa filters and a decent electric conical burr grinder.  It's not quite as good as the coffee mill and french press but it's quite close and so much easier when I'm still in zombie mode in the morning.  I'll still break out the french press on occasion but 90% of the time this gets me off to a great start.  Raven's Brew Dead Man's Reach is my usual bean of choice, I haven't found any local roasters in my area unfortunately but the Raven's Brew is great stuff.

Mar 17, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #144 of 171

My daily fix, from the guy that came up with the Frisbee.

Mar 20, 2012 at 10:03 PM Post #147 of 171
Maybe I'm just not doing it right but I never got the aeropress to give me a cup of coffee as good as the french press or even the clever coffee dripper.  I see people everywhere rave about them though so I just assume either I'm weird or I haven't figured out how to use it right.

Mar 21, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #150 of 171
Home roasted, aerropress, can't beat it.

I think the trick is that what they call 2 cups is maybe a single cup Americano, once you've added water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back