Coffee Anyone?
Apr 4, 2012 at 12:50 AM Post #166 of 171

Quote:
Discovered the process of French Press Cold Brewing today.

Experiment in process.  Exciting!

I'm never brewing coffee with hot water again..   If you've never tried cold brewing you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

pretty simple..

grind the coffee as fine as possible (ignore the ppl saying otherwise) - any coffee type will do, though i prefer french roast.
put it in a french press - fill about half the french press with coffee (yes, a LOT!)
put a little water in (cold or room temperature) , stir really well, then fill the rest with water (again NOT hot water!)
cover and set out for 24 hours.
stir well again, and then press it and pour it into a tightly sealable container like a bell jar.

you will be left with a coffee concentrate that you can then add water (hot or cold) or milk to.

coffee will be smoother (less acidic taste), wont bother your stomach, have PH that is closer to neutral (less acidic), and your concentrate will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks, which means you have instant coffee whenever you want it, and you can make more when you are about to run out so you never go without. 

more than anything its the taste that gets me.  its liquid drinking silken coffee.

there is also a cheap cold brewer thats been around since the 60's called a Toddy.
http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-T2N-Cold-Brew-System/dp/B0006H0JVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333514980&sr=8-1

Apr 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #167 of 171

Quote:
Decaf will never taste the same, but there are two different processes. The American process uses formaldehyde (embalming fluid) and would never qualify as organic. The Swiss Water Process is fine as far as toxins go but the taste suffers a bit more IMO.

You might want to look into cold water brewing, it's not decaf but the caffeine as well as acidity are significantly reduced.

http://cooking.stackexchange.com/questions/1859/caffeine-content-of-cold-brewed-coffee-higher-or-lower-than-hot-brewed

i drink both decaf and regular almost every day and if it werent for the caffeine i dont think i would be able to tell the difference.

by the way thanks for turning me on to cold brewing.. I'm officially a convert. 

May 6, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #168 of 171
Quote:

I'm never brewing coffee with hot water again.. If you've never tried cold brewing you owe it to yourself to give it a try.

pretty simple..

grind the coffee as fine as possible (ignore the ppl saying otherwise) - any coffee type will do, though i prefer french roast.
put it in a french press - fill about half the french press with coffee (yes, a LOT!)
put a little water in (cold or room temperature) , stir really well, then fill the rest with water (again NOT hot water!)
cover and set out for 24 hours.
stir well again, and then press it and pour it into a tightly sealable container like a bell jar.

you will be left with a coffee concentrate that you can then add water (hot or cold) or milk to.

coffee will be smoother (less acidic taste), wont bother your stomach, have PH that is closer to neutral (less acidic), and your concentrate will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks, which means you have instant coffee whenever you want it, and you can make more when you are about to run out so you never go without.

more than anything its the taste that gets me. its liquid drinking silken coffee.

there is also a cheap cold brewer thats been around since the 60's called a Toddy.
http://www.amazon.com/Toddy-T2N-Col...0JVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333514980&sr=8-1
Interesting....

May 28, 2019 at 11:15 AM Post #170 of 171
IMG_20180426_185124827.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back