1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

    Dismiss Notice

Coffee Anyone?

First
 
Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9 10 11 12
Next
 
Last
  1. chud
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Hey man, congrats on your Aeropress. If you ever have any questions, just let me know!



    i definitely will. i wish it would get here already. kinda funny to be so excited about a coffee maker.

    also, it was in the latest edition of Wired Magazine. it came in second to some 2 or 3 hundred dollar machine.
     
  2. raymondlin
    I got my aeropress, using it at work but it's a bit meh to be honest.

    The coffee is okay, fair enough, its from pre-grounded stuff but it's just not amazing as everyone is banging on about it. What am I doing wrong?

    This is for making Americano

    1 - Add 2/3 tea spoon of grind
    2 - Add hot water almost to the top

    (I would stir but the water start going down straight away)

    3 - Put on plunge and press down

    I feel like i am not getting enough extraction from the coffee itself?
     
  3. kwkarth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I got my aeropress, using it at work but it's a bit meh to be honest.

    The coffee is okay, fair enough, its from pre-grounded stuff but it's just not amazing as everyone is banging on about it. What am I doing wrong?

    This is for making Americano

    1 - Add 2/3 tea spoon of grind
    2 - Add hot water almost to the top

    (I would stir but the water start going down straight away)

    3 - Put on plunge and press down

    I feel like i am not getting enough extraction from the coffee itself?




    In my opinion without knowing any more than you've told me, you're probably using lousy coffee and you are not using enough of it.

    For a 16oz. / 0.5L mug use 1.5 scoops of coffee (the scoop that came with the AeroPress.) When you add the water, stir for 10 seconds and plunge.

    Once you've completed the plunging, fill the mug the rest of the way full with hot water. If your coffee still tastes lousy, get some good coffee. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.[​IMG]
     
  4. chud
    i read somewhere about the water temperature needing to be as close to.....175degreesF, as possible? is that right?

    how important is that?
     
  5. chud
    i like coffee
     
  6. MD1032 Contributor
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    Not to be a jerk, [​IMG] but buying coffee in any form from Starbucks is a great way to waste money. Surly, in any town where a Starbucks is to be found, there have to be many better alternatives locally. If there are not, it is a perfect excuse to buy an inexpensive roaster and roast your own. [​IMG]



    I do like their Sumatra, though. It's one of their less expensive blends and it makes a darn good cup of coffee most of the time. Their Anniversary blend in particular is really spectacular in my opinion (likely because it's just their Sumatra but aged). Personally, I've always liked Sumatran coffee the best.

    I know of a local coffee shop that's actually quite excellent, actually. They source and roast over 15 different kinds of coffee, and the cups I've had when visiting were always excellent (and the in-store coffee didn't suck rearend, unlike Starbucks) It's called "Mill Mountain", and they're obviously quite hardcore, however, I haven't had any urge to buy a pound from them because I'm happy with the coffee I get from Starbucks and it's the exact same price for a pound of Sumatra from both places.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    i read somewhere about the water temperature needing to be as close to.....175degreesF, as possible? is that right?

    how important is that?




    This is false. It needs to be as close to boiling as possible without actually being boiling. I've heard that a coffeemaker with at least a 1000 watt heater is greatly preferable.
     
  7. linuxworks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by MD1032 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    This is false. It needs to be as close to boiling as possible without actually being boiling. I've heard that a coffeemaker with at least a 1000 watt heater is greatly preferable.



    that's certainly NOT true for espresso. maybe regular coffee; but espresso's idea temp is 88C. not exactly boiling (which is 100C, of course).
     
  8. linuxworks
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by raymondlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

    The coffee is okay, fair enough, its from pre-grounded stuff but it's just not amazing as everyone is banging on about it. What am I doing wrong?




    preground.

    there's your problem.

    coffee experts (that I've spoken to) insist on dumping ground 15 minutes after they've hit the air! any older than 15mins and its down-the-drain.

    HUGE diff when you grind *freshly* roasted (not too old in the roast) beans.
     
  9. catachresis
    Some of you guys are aficionados, and though I'm a long-time coffee-drinker, I haven't even got the degree of enthusiasm for it as an aesthetic pleasure that would incline me to get too serious. But I *have* had a recent realization. I started out with brewing a tank a day with an automatic basket dripper back in the 80s. For the last two years I lived in Dublin, I used an octagonal stove-top expresso maker, and have frequently used a French Press. But my Ex was given a percolator last year, and we used it together for nine months. When I moved, though I had the French press, I immediately tracked down a good percolator. I wouldn't ever claim that perk coffee touches proper expresso, but it's better than the basket, and I prefer its fully-rounded but milder taste to the French press. I went on line to see what people were saying was the best percolator now, and I found that there's something of a Renaissance going on. A lot of people have begun to espouse percolation--despite the fact that the method is coffee-anathema by European standards.
     
  10. Bob_McBob
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    that's certainly NOT true for espresso. maybe regular coffee; but espresso's idea temp is 88C. not exactly boiling (which is 100C, of course).



    88C is too low for espresso. The general temperature range is around 90-96C, and 93 would be typical.
     
  11. kwkarth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    i read somewhere about the water temperature needing to be as close to.....175degreesF, as possible? is that right?

    how important is that?




    In my experience, 175 is too cold.

    According to Breville, which seems to be right on,

    175Deg. F / 79.4C is best for Green Tea
    185Deg. F / 85.0C is best for White Tea
    195Deg. F / 90.6C is best for Oolong Tea
    200Deg. F / 93.3C is best for French Press Coffee
    212Deg. F / 100.0C is best for Black Tea

    Those are the temps that I use and they seem to be ideal.
     
  12. kwkarth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    preground.

    there's your problem.

    coffee experts (that I've spoken to) insist on dumping ground 15 minutes after they've hit the air! any older than 15mins and its down-the-drain.

    HUGE diff when you grind *freshly* roasted (not too old in the roast) beans.




    Pre ground coffee is anathema to any serious coffee drinker as is percolated coffee. If the coffee is raunchy enough to start with, I suppose it's hard to hurt it much more with a percolator. [​IMG]
     
  13. fraseyboy
    I had my first coffee about a week ago and now I'm addicted and have to have one every day [​IMG]
     
  14. kwkarth
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
    I had my first coffee about a week ago and now I'm addicted and have to have one every day [​IMG]



    One cup of coffee should not cause you to be addicted. I generally have only one cup a day, sometimes none. I can take it or leave it. 3 or 4 cups a day is probably enough to "hook" you, so be careful.
     
  15. mofonyx
    I make everything out of my Moka Express. I much prefer this to the French Press.
     
First
 
Back
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
9 10 11 12
Next
 
Last

Share This Page